“One of the best places we've ever stayed.” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5641 Indian River Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23464   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #25 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
Fox Island, Washington
“One of the best places we've ever stayed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

We wanted a get away weekend to relax and just enjoy some time away. We found Founders Inn & Spa online and booked it. What a great decision! This place is amazing!! The customer service was impeccible, the rooms were well appointed, nice restaurants, lovely grounds, no one was at the pool so we had it virtually all to ourselves, nice wine tasting each evening. I could go on forever. This place is well worth the drive.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Rsolutions, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 8, 2010
Dear swhrmgr:

Thank you for your kind words and we are trilled you enjoyed your stay with us!

Customer service is extremely important to us. I'm so glad you were able to relax and enjoy yourselves. We look forward to your next visit and helping create more wonderful memories.

491 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010 via mobile

Although the colonial decor may not suit everyone, we enjoyed the ambience, athmosphere and feel this place had to offer. Very peaceful, serene and relaxing. I loved the grounds/landscape, Thursday night pasta buffet was priced right. Other days, food is somewhat pricey. Front staff were all very nice. Fitness, pool, and spa are excellent. Even the kids can't wait to go back. Lots of free parking.

• Stayed June 2010
Rsolutions, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2010
Dear minniemae:

We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your visit with us!

The Thursday night pasta buffet has become so popular we added another fun dinner option. Our Poolside Grill is open Friday evenings throughout the summer where you and your children can enjoy the pools, have a casual dinner (salads, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.) and watch a kid-friendly movie at the end of a fun-filled day.

Thank you for choosing to start off the summer with us at the Founders Inn and Spa, and we can't wait for you to come back!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

Our room was perfectly clean and smelled normal - I didn't have any of the problems others noted. No, the decor was not appealing to me, but I guess some people like that "colonial" look. (I'm not sure how colonial the rainbow colored carpet was, but, okay...). Plenty of towels, which I appreciated. Decent-sized room. Nice grounds with a pretty garden. A decent on-site resturant (three, actually, but one was closed for the season, and one we didn't dine at). The pools are rather small for a resort hotel. I was surprised they were so small. The jacuzzi at the indoor pool never warmed up hotter than the pool, though I ran through the bubble cycle twice - not sure if it was broken or I was doing something wrong. Good fitness center, with free weights as well as cardio equipment. Good, spacious spa with a full menu of services. If you're on a budget, this is a decent spa experience. They offer an affordable package combining room, two buffet breakfasts, and two massages. It isn't as luxurious as most spa hotels, but it's also not as expensive. About a 20 minute drive to the Beach/Boardwalk area.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Rsolutions, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2010
Dear Motherontheroad:

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Founders Inn and Spa and for taking time to review our property. I appreciate your comments and I’m glad your overall experience was positive. I do apologize about the Jacuzzi – it is such a popular spot we are frequently draining and refilling due to such heavy usage. Unfortunately, it takes longer than we would like for the water to reach the temps you expect in a hot tub.

We are currently renovating all our guest rooms – an ongoing project which will be a third complete by June 11th and will be totally complete by late fall this year. One of the most significant changes is the carpet. Our new guest rooms will remain colonial and continue to have a comfortable “inn” feel.

We look forward to your return visit to enjoy our new guest rooms along with the other wonderful amenities you mentioned above. Thank you again for being our guest.

Virginia Beach, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

The Hotel is spotless and so comfortable-the staff aim to please and do. We were there this time for the holiday events-special dinners (with wonderful piano music) and awsome food. The new years dinner and party were above expectations--great food great music and all in a beautiful enviroment.. we have made Founders Inn our secret getaway (close to beach and other activities) and exceptional holiday happenings!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Rsolutions, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2010
Dear wayfairer:

Thank you for making The Founders Inn and Spa your secret getaway. We are thrilled to be part of your holidays and look forward to your next visit with us.

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

The Founder's Inn does a first class job. The staff is fantastic, the rooms are great and the atmosphere is relaxing. A particular member of management went well above and beyond in helping me solve some last minute dinner reservation issues and oh, by the way, the food is great also. I am very impressed with my stay here and will not stay anywhere else on my trips to the Tidewater area. Great Job!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Rsolutions, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, December 22, 2009
Dear rob_chapmanvabeach:

Thank you for taking time to share your positive experiences with us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and received first class service from our staff. We look forward to your next visit to The Founders Inn and Spa.

Appreciatively,
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

The grounds of the hotel are absolutely lovely, the interior spacious, stately, and somehow cozy at the same time. The staff were helpful above and beyond the call. The dining facilities were wonderful. My room was perfect, and wonderfully quiet. It's a rarity for me to feel truly at home and comfortable on a trip. My thanks to the hotel staff.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Virginia Beach,Va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

On the day of the wedding, we were put in a conference room above the atrium. The room was steaming with heat and after three calls to the front desk, nothing was done. Further, we requested a mirror and we were told, “there were no mirrors available.” While my bridesmaids, parents, photographer and I were all running back in forth to the bathroom for mirrors, there was a wedding going on below us. I felt sorry for that bride, because I know her guests must have been distracted by what was going on above. The 5:00pm wedding below was too closely booked to our 6:00pm starting time. Therefore, at 5:50pm there will still no chairs set up for my ceremony because they were still using them for her ceremony. This caused chaos because no one knew where to sit or where to place their gifts, the ushers didn’t know how to direct our guests, and it made the Founders Inn look unsystematic.
During the cocktail hour, tens of guests commented that there were not ANY appetizers. A few of the guests did get one chicken skewer and when asked for seconds were told, “we are out.” That is mortifying. How can you have a cocktail hour with nothing to eat? My husband and I didn’t even get any appetizers, not even a bottle of water. In our contract it stated during our photo session, we would be giving nonalcoholic drinks and appetizers. The three bites of each that were put out, were eaten before Ryan and I even saw them.
Once inside the reception, we immediately noticed there was no fish. We paid per person for Rockfish amongst other entrees under our contract and there was no seafood. A few of our aunts only eat fish, so some of our guests were stuck with nothing. Not only was it a breach of contract, but a huge embarrassment. Feeling so overwhelmed, we made our way over to the bar where we noticed two more unbelievable mishaps. None of our requested beers were present and the bar tender had put out a tip jar (after being instructed not to do so). Later, the DJ announced it was time for the “cigar bar.” [Charlese suggested the cigar bar during one of our earlier meetings. It was in our contract that the Founders would provide cigars and we would provide guillotines and matches.] Not only were there less than ten cigars, but also the matches were nowhere to be found! So, tons of people were asking the wedding party, the servers and me “Where are the cigars?” And yet, for another time that evening, guests were told, “we are out.” Yet, by that time it was too late, everyone had felt the stress and discomfort.
After the night ended, I was informed that the Founders Inn gave the kitchen an incorrect and outdated contract. Therefore, the contract used was not signed and not agreed upon. With it being over a month since out October 17th wedding date, I have not received one apology, one dollar in refund, or one ounce of recognition in fault. One could only assume that an institution such as the Founders Inn would be prompt in rectifying this problem. In the mean time, I want to make sure that no other brides will have their wedding day ruined by this utterly disorganized location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Rsolutions, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, December 9, 2009
We have contacted the bride and groom in an effort to resolve all outstanding issues.

Been to The Founders Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!