“Beautiful but Neglected” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Marietta, GA
“Beautiful but Neglected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

This once must have been very exquisite but it now is neglected. We were there for my daughters wedding and had many out of town guests stay from 1-3 nights. From afar it is very beautiful but the rooms were not clean, the common areas were not kept clean, no detailed cleaning had been done in quite some time. The housekeeping and dining staff were friendly but the front desk staff were unconcerned. The facility just doesn't look like it is maintained very well. The formal garden for the wedding was great and the reception was wonderful, food is very good, but honestly, the guest rooms had a lot be be desired. They ran out of regular coffee (for three days), we had a problem in the first room we were in and they did move us but to a smaller room, and they "masked" the repair only to put our parents in the same room. Until they can do a better job at maintaining this facility we would not recommend it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

I live in Virginia Beach and for the past two year have purchased the Terrace Club Dining Card wich offers discounts for dining and accommodations. I have stayed there several times and this past time I was not too happy about my room. There was a weird smell to it, the carpet was dirty and the tiles in the bathtub had mildew spots. In addition to that there was a wet floor sign in the carpeted hallway and a big wet spot(don't know where it came from, but I thought it was weird). The staff is always friendly, the pool is great, nice workout room, beautiful grounds and good restaurants(although a bit pricey without a dining membership.)

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

Great Hotel. This a great Hotel for those that want to travel to Virginia Beach. You get the best of both worlds, Beach and Hotel. Hotel has a great pool for the kids and a Spa for the spouse. They have a tennis court and the indoor pool if it rains. Rooms were very comfortable, clean and have plenty of space. Beach is only a 10 minute drive.

I can't wait to go back in August. This is truly our favorite spot and don't mind sharing with others.

ithaca, new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

My granddaughter and I stayed two nights in the James building - room was clean, beds were great. We each had a massage at the spa, enjoyed the best breakfast buffet each morning, relaxed playing billards in the pub. Tried the pool and she even tried the water slide. Was disappointed that the hot tub wasn't working. The staff from the front desk to the waitors and cleaning staff were all polite, friendly and eager to make our visit enjoyable. The buildings and grounds were beautiful and very well kept.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

My wife and I visited friends in the area that recommended the Founders to us for our visit. I would have to say it was a pleasant suprise when we arrived. From the start, we were greeted warmly at the door and by the front desk staff. Our room was comfortable and had a wondeful view of the gardens located off the back of the building. My wife and I could not decide between the shade of the porch in the rocking chairs or the sun pool side. Our friends brought their children who enjoyed the pool slide to the point of exhaustion. If you are in the area and need a comfortable family friendly place to stay this is my choice!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

PLEASE AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS.

Stayed here for my friend's wedding at the end of May and woke up the morning I was leaving to find a bed bug attached to my...behind. Ugggh. The Spa Manager came to take a report with someone from her Security team - it was a sham, the Security team member was taking notes on a scratch piece of paper. They said they would be in touch in the next 2 days - it has now been over 2 weeks. I had to have all of my clothes professionally cleaned and visit the doctor. I have now left 3 voicemails for management with no response - when will they get back to me???

Also - I booked the hotel via Priceline and when I checked in they tried to sneak in a 'Resort Fee'. The manager then agreed to remove the fee, as if he was doing me a favor.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
staples401, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
At the Founders Inn we take the comfort of our guests very seriously and appreciate being made aware of a potential bed bug incident. The insect in question was not a bed bug. It is not known how the insect arrived in the room and we have been reassured by an exterminator that it was an isolated incident. Although the Resort Fee is disclosed on Priceline, we felt it appropriate to waive the fee in this situation.
Colorado Springs
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

I stayed in the Queen Suite for my son's graduation from Law School. I had made my revservations 9 months before, but still was out in one of the lodges where I paid $210 plus tax a night. There was my daughter, son-in-law, their baby, me and my other son. I let my daughter stay in the main room. My other son and I had the queen pullout room. Both rooms are very dark and need the lamps on during the day, The carpet was buckeled. The pull out bed was so uncomfortable, it was a joke. My son ended up sleeping on the sofa cusions on the floor. There were four plug-ins in the room -- all taken by lamps, tv, phone. We only had one plug for charging our phones- in the bathroom. There was no remote for the TV, the furniture was damanged -- side of coffee table missing, knobs missing. There was almost always dirty room service dishes sitting on a table outside of my room. The staff was cold and sometimes plain rude. I could have overlooked all of this if it weren't for the bathroom! The bathroom was so tiny, there was nowhere to put makeup bags. Between the bed and bathroom, I was just so uncomfortabe I even contemplated leaving. I would not stay there again. I can't believe they are 4 stars-- they are more like a Mom & Pop place along the highway. (although the outside is pretty.) There are a lot better places nearby, that charge less, plus give you a nice free breakfast. Also, I came with an expensive pair of diamond earrings, and went home without them. I did file a lost report with the hotel and a police report, though -- nothing came of it. When I was checking out, no one asked if I had a nice stay -- they seem to know better than to ask that question.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Founders Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!