“Good for the money, great service” 4 of 5 stars

The Founders Inn and Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5641 Indian River Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23464   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #24 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
“Good for the money, great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at this place for 3 nights during our first visit to Virginia Beach. The main building is very impressive. Our room was in the building to the left of the main entrance which is nothing special. The service was great, we requested a crib prior to arrival and it had been delivered to the room, they also brought us a microwave when we asked for it. Some guests were making a lot of noise past midnight on Saturday night, a quick call to the front desk seemed to have resolved it. The carpet in the room was not vacuumed very well though, I found rice grains (! ?) next to one of the beds. The bathroom looked old and rusty which is probably expected of an old hotel. The fact that the indoor pool was closed for maintenance was a disappointment since it was raining almost the entire weekend which made the beach and the outdoor pool unusable.
We enjoyed dining at the Swan Terrace: great service, delicious food. We ordered the pre-fix dinners which turned out to be a lot of food. The crabcakes were an absolute hit as well as the brick oven brie. Would definitely eat there again. Breakfast buffet was tasty however we wished there were more variety. The fitness center was surprisingly spacious and the equipment was in decent condition.

• Stayed August 2013
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Menudos,

Thank you for your recent review! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of the Swan Terrace restaurant and the fitness center. Thank you for letting us know of our areas of opportunity so that we may continually improve our service to you. We hope to see you again soon!

510 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The facilities are beautiful and fancy. The hotel is huge. I spoke to the hotel a handful of times over the phone prior to our arrival. When I arrived they pulled out physical paper on my reservation, yet she had no idea I had a pet and she had to restart the process. The lobby was busy with at least six people checking in and the same checking out. No greeting, nothing personalized about the service or interaction. She asked me for an ID and a credit card because "I still need that for all the taxes, fees and stuff". Within minutes of arriving I realized this was like the Walmart of hotels, they have no need or care for making the individual guest feel important or cared for. I called ahead and was told an early check in would be no issue, to simply " pre register" as soon as I arrived. Well, I arrived at 2:50, never received a call. At 4:10, I ran out of ways to distract my dog and I approached the front desk to inquire about our room; it was finally ready. She explained nothing to me, made no attempt for small talk, nothing. I had to ask if I was given the keys, when I found them I realized the room number was in there. She didn't even tell me what room number I was staying in, it is a massive place and no map was given no directions, nothing! I said, is there somewhere you prefer your guests park? She said let me give you a map. Now, she explained to me where the dog friendly area is. A short 15 foot strip of brick walkway. The area included one dog potty trash can which had the same half full bag, hanging by one corner, un-usable at that. The same dog potty station had a doggy doo baggy dispenser, also empty the entire stay. They don't seem to care much about portraying a very pet friendly image once you're already there, while being very willing to advertise being pet friendly to prospect customers. We called for towels once, they arrived an hour later that morning. At checkout, we received paperwork listing taxes and daily charges we were not expecting, these papers were simply left at the door for us. No warning, no extension of willingness to explain. Again, great job extending a warm, welcoming, caring feel to their guests. Haha.

Before you arrive please take note, there is about 15 miles between this location and the beach. That is a good 20 minutes of highway driving. Traffic is likely as this is a busy, metropolitan area populated by tourists. This however, might be a good thing if you consider the jets that are constantly flying over the beach side of Virginia beach at all time of day causing very loud rumbles.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Wolves911,

Thank you for letting us know of our areas of opportunity. I apologize that you felt our service was not satisfactory, especially the reservation and arrival process. Please know this is not the standard we set and we hope that you will join us again so that we may prove our high service standards to you. We certainly are a pet friendly hotel and enjoy hosting our furry guests. We are now adding a 2nd and 3rd dog potty station to the designated area which is one of our largest lawns that we have right next to the walkway you outlined. We apologize that we did not point this out clearly to you and limited you to the walkway which is certainly unacceptable. Again, thank you for providing us with your feedback, as this helps us improve our services to guests. We hope to see you soon to experience the improvements we made based on your feedback.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for the first time a few weeks ago and returned there again this weekend. We were so pleased by the facility and service that we have booked to have our wedding there in november. Brandon and molly ann have been great in assisting us in getting our wedding going and have gone above and beyond to help.

• Stayed August 2013
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Fresh804,

Thank you for your kind words! We are so excited for you to celebrate your nuptials with us in November! I will share your positive comments with Brandon and Molly Anne. We hope to see you again and again!

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Founders Inn and Spa was very relaxing, the room was sufficient however a larger room would have been perfect, the service was excellent, and a lovely dining area with wonderful food, our waitress “Ondine” was friendly and attentive. We enjoyed the activities within the premises, very good accommodations and amenities, the exercise room and spa was great with an outdoor pool, slide pool for the young at heart, indoor pool (year-round), Jacuzzi hot tub, tennis courts and games on site, etc. The resort is more a historical type atmosphere (furnishings not all up-to-date) but a great place for family reunions and special events or just a weekend getaway also for weddings and receptions with outdoor gardens, fountains and terraces which makes it a favorite. Founders Inn, just east of I-64 and approximately 15 min to the beach, and a short drive from a number of restaurants, cinemas and shopping areas; LOTS OF FUN AND ENJOYMENT!!!…..I would recommend Founders Inn for a great family vacation or couple getaway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Comfort Z,

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay while celebrating your family reunion! Our expansive grounds and amenities certainly do make for a wonderful and relaxing vacation. We look forward to welcoming you back should you return to the Virginia Beach area!

Rockville, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Room decor was outdated, room was too warm (even when set to 72 degrees), and food at a banquet I attended was dry and overcooked. But this all pales before a major computer security breach in their business center.
The computers for public use retained the last document printed, and then printed it AGAIN when a different user tried to print. I printed a document (a gift certificate) and also got someone's airplane boarding pass! Talk about a potential HUGE security breach.
Luckily, I hung around when another user printed something--and got my gift certificate! I reported it to the front desk, but they didn't seem to realize the importance of this. I'd end use of the computers, or reimage them, rather than allow this potentially disastrous situation to continue.

Room Tip: Rooms are in different buildings, so to get to the pool, spa or restaurants may require a walk outsi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear JSlaff,

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate customer feedback so that we may continually improve our service to each and every guest. Thank you for bringing the business center situation to our attention which is certainly not acceptable and indeed alarming. On this, we should have certainly reacted faster and taken the needed steps to prevent this from reoccurring. We have reached out to the appropriate department and they have already rectified this and assured us that this will not happen again. Again, we do apologize for this incident.

On a different note, we are currently upgrading all in room air-conditioners which will be completed throughout the next few months. We wanted you to know that we aware of these challenges and are actively working to improve them.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

A lot of people visiting the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area tend to stay at the large hotel chains--the Marriotts, Sheratons and Hiltons. In doing so, they know they are "safe" but they generally leave without anything special to say about their accommodations. And that is because it is generally difficult to describe "vanilla" other than what it is.

This is the reason that I enjoy staying at the Founders Inn, just east of I-64 and halfway between downtown Norfolk and the beach at Virginia Beach. I've stayed at a number of different places in the area, but this is my favorite. It is far from fancy, but it feels like a unique, locally run hostelry that makes it more memorable than the rest. It is not small. It is spread over several acres, and its outdoor gardens, pools, fountains and terraces make it a favorite wedding and reception venue for locals. The rooms are consistently clean and tastefully done, although nothing special to write home about. The baths are the same. However, the public spaces are expansive and comfortable, with a lot of nooks and corners where you can sit down, even in front of a fireplace, and relax on your own or with friends.

Service is always friendly, prices reasonable, and there is a good restaurant on the premises. Again, it won't serve up a meal worthy of a Michelin star, but it is well laid out and the food as good as you are apt to find in the area. There is an added bonus: an outdoor pool that for some reason few take advantage of when they stay. The pool is removed from the main building and part of a spa facility that they have which is a big plus. The pool itself is large and well kept, with enough poolside furniture around it to accommodate a crowd. The entire setting makes it a great place for a family stay, or even if you are on your own.

If you're looking to stay close to Norfolk Airport, you can't do better than the Founders Inn. There are hotels and inns situated closer to the airport, but they are on nondescript roads lined with strip malls. You feel like you are at a resort when at the Founders Inn. You are a minute away from I-64, and once on the highway, just 5 minutes from the airport. You can't do wrong by staying here. It also helps that you are a short drive from a number of restaurants, cinemas and shopping areas. Virginia Beach Town Center has some great venues, and it is only a short 10 minute drive away. In short, a great location, very good accommodation and amenities, and friendly and capable service makes the Founders Inn, in my opinion, your best bet for the area.

Room Tip: There is the main building on site, where you check in and that fronts the terrace and gardens. If...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear EvenlyOpinionated,

Thank you for your comments on our hotel! We pride ourselves in being a unique colonial-inspired property while still offering modern amenities. Our hotel is in a great central location between Norfolk and the oceanfront, as well as to Towne Center. We hope to see you again soon!

washington dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Founder's Inn is a decent place, and I have no complaints about the service or amenities. But if you are thinking it's a real first-class resort, you will be disappointed. It's more like a nice hotel. It's quiet, and the rooms are spacious. The buildings are all-brick in a Williamsburg style, which is attractive. However, the actual furnishings in the rooms are rundown, such as badly scuffed furniture and very lumpy pullout beds. The "resort" amenities are on the light side: an okay pool and exercise facility, some nice landscaping, and a few tennis courts. But it's hardly a luxury retreat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Allen1000,

Thank you for your recent survey. Guest feedback is essential to constantly improving our hotel and amenities. We hope that you join us soon to enjoy the pool and fitness facilities, as well as the award-winning restaurants.

Sascha Hemmann

Been to The Founders Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!