“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Wappingers Falls
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Founders Inn was a beautiful hotel with a great a staff. Everyone was friendly especially the housekeepers and wait staff at the restaurant. We stayed here over staying at the beach resorts because for less money we were able to stay in a much nicer, cleaner place then what you would get for the same price at the boardwalk. The travel to the beach was never horrible. Traffic was moderate and took us about 20 minutes to get to the boardwalk. We took part in the BBQ on the terrace on Tuesdays. The buffet was delicious and offered many options for entrees and desserts. Food was high quality and fresh. The only negative was the bed was too soft. By my fifth night my back had enough. The beauty of the grounds is the real draw to this Inn. The flowers and landscaping is perfectly done. The back of the property gives you a nice spot to hang with family and friends. The pool is perfect and they offer a slide for kids or kids at heart. I would recommend this hotel even if you are making this a beach getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Salem1977,

We thank you for your review of our hotel and staff. It seems that you were able to enjoy a wide variety of what our hotel has to offer. We hope that you were able to take advantage of our beach shuttle, which is complimentary to all hotel guests. I apologize that the bed was not to your liking. I am happy that the Tuesdays on the Terrace was a wonderful experience for you! Please join us again soon for another fun stay!

Sascha Hemmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Holland, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here on our way back from Orlando. The grounds are beautiful, actually, the grounds are amazing. The pool is awesome as is the water slide. Our boys thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was nice with a very big tv. The AC is a little noisy, but you get used to it. Close to numerous restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mikeinphilly,

I am glad to hear that our hotel and staff served you well during your stay! It is a great property for families, as well as those travelling alone. Our gardens, lake, pool, and spa are definitely conducive to a relaxing visit. Thank you for letting us know of our areas of opportunity and we look forward to your next stay!

Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel four times as it is located close to my office. Definately not a hotel you want to stay at if you want a beach experience.
The staff is always friendly and helpful, however the resturant service is poor. Went to dinner Sunday night with a group of 4 and waited 30 minutes for drinks and a menu. Went again Wednesday night for drinks with a group of 5 and was ignored several times by our waitress. We sat for 25 minutes with empty glasses. The wait for our checks was another 20 minutes. The place was not terribly busy either time.
Took the free hotel shuttle to the ocean front and to the office. They had four leaving throughout the day that went to the ocean. The drivers were very nice.
Room was nice but the A/C was loud and not very cool. In room refrigerator would not cool and the phone quick buttons did not work and the message light blinked during the entire stay. I did not complain as they were not major issues to me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
FoundersInn, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Founders Inn and Spa as we truly appreciate the repeat business. In regards to your poor experience at the restaurant, I want to offer you my most humble of apologies and thank you for your feedback. I can assure you that the issues mentioned will be addressed. We hope to take care of you again in the near future.
Christopher Cruse-
Sewell, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I can't say enough good things about Founder's Inn. My wife and I booked a last minute overnight stay through Expedia. I found it that morning and we stayed there that night for a great rate. The grounds were wonderful, with beautiful flowers and landscaping. The staff was extremely courteous and responsive, the room was spotless. The bed was comfortable. Since it was Sunday, only one restaurant was open, but the waitress/bartender was extremely friendly and made me a custom drink that was great. My wife and I wandered the property, enjoying how beautiful it was. I wish we had the chance to enjoy the pool. I highly recommend this one for a romantic getaway. We did not use the spa or dine in the restaurant, so I can't speak to them, but everything we did use here was wonderful.

Dear RockingLoud,

Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel and staff! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your one-night getaway! Perhaps, you will be able to experience the spa and Swan Terrace during your next visit! Please join us again soon!

Mid Atlantic USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I had been waiting to try the Brunch for awhile and what better occasion than our anniversary. We got there at 11am with a small line forming outside the French doors that open to the Swan Terrace, we did not have a reservation and were still able to get a table. Upon entry into the dining area my eyes were instantly drawn to the left where the sea food was located. Oysters on the half shell, Jumbo shrip, Smoked Salmon, Cooked on the spot Crab Cakes... I could tell already Id be very happy.

The service was top notch and the food was all prepared deliciously. Most people will find it pricey but I feel like its well worth it if you have a special occasion or want some amazing food and service to boot give it a shot.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FoundersInn, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We are truly pleased and honored that you chose to celebrate your special occasion with us on our Sunday Brunch. We take a great deal of pride and strive very hard to offer our guests an amazing assortment of different items, including our wonderful seafood selections which I am so glad caught your eye. I hope you saved room for our enormous dessert bar. On behalf of the Founders Inn and Spa, congratulations and we hope to serve you again in the near future.

Christopher Cruse
SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed at Founders Inn for Father's Day weekend. Grounds were beautifully maintained and definitely a must see. Room was not in the main building but closer to main road. room was clean, beds were very soft and size met our needs. Very disappointed in Father's day brunch & gift (package we had purchased). Brunch was 11-3, but we were advised that as we bought the package we could not be seated until 1:30 or later, no flexibility and no etched glass gift without attending the brunch. Due to travel plans, this time was later than we could wait and we had to leave.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear ScSunlovers,

Thank you for your review of the Founders Inn. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the comfortable guest room and our English gardens. I am sorry to hear of your experience regarding the Fathers’ Day Brunch. For all guests, including those on a hotel package, brunch seating is based on available openings at the time your hotel reservation is made. I apologize for any inconvenience this caused. In anticipation for the large dining events, we contact in-house guests to ensure that we have a table available for the approximate preferred reservation time. Again, I sincerely apologize that we were not able to fulfill this part of your reservation. We hope that you will return to the hotel in the future so that you may partake in a dining event. Thank you for letting us know of our areas of opportunity so that we can continually work towards providing an excellent product to our guests.

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed at Founders Inn based on friend's recommendation. We were not disappointed. We had a queen room. Room was clean and nicely decorated, very cozy. Loved the soft towels in the bathroom. We enjoyed sitting in the rocking chairs outside overlooking the lake and fountain. Air conditioning was slightly noisy, room didn't get as cool as we would have liked. We ate at the Swan Terrace. Food was delicious and service was excellent. Definitely would return when in the area.

Dear Kimmely,

We are glad that you enjoyed your experience at the Founders Inn & Spa! I will pass on your comments regarding your wonderful food and beverage experience to the Executive Chef. Please join us again soon for another stay and another visit to the Swan Terrace.

Sascha Hemmann

Been to The Founders Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!