“We brought the New Year's in right at the Founders Inn in VA Beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Founders Inn and Spa

You added The Founders Inn and Spa to your Saves list
The Founders Inn and Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5641 Indian River Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23464   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Seaford, Delaware
“We brought the New Year's in right at the Founders Inn in VA Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We were looking for a New Year's getaway and were searching for something within half a day's drive, had holiday charm, and excellent value. Unable to find affordable City options we searched Trip Advisor and found a great recommendation for this facility. I can say that our four day stay was fantastic. Having crossed the mid century age threshold we also decided to partake of several of the spa opportunities. This was also an excellent choice. The room (king with fireplace) was very large-huge, nicely furnished, had a granite bathroom vanity, separate granite makeup vanity outside the restroom, very long bath tub, new style oval shower curtain rod and a commode-side phone. The room was freshly painted and was very, very clean. There were a couple of very minor items like a small tear in the sitting area couch (back corner) and a small stain that didn't come out of a corner of the chair seat cushion, and a small chip in the corner of the bath tub porcelain. Since I have seen similar at the DC Willard Intercontinental they were not a cause for concern or regret. We didn't use the gas log fireplace due to the very warm weekend but noted the two gorgeous lit fireplaces in the main lobbies. (checkers and chess available there) The grounds of the Inn were awesome with reportedly over 100,000 lights up. Being on the grounds of Regent University, it offered an unparalled oppportunity to take walks around the gorgeous campus, lake, and other facilities. I took quite a few pictures of their gorgeous brick buildings. The Inn is set back quite a bit from all roads and highways so you do not get the city street noise. The on site restaurants were both very good and the Sunday brunch at the Swan excellent. Regarding adult beverages, they only serve beer and wine in their eateries and have a very extensive wine list. Due to a large lunch we actually got a take out pizza from their grill New Year's Day. The staff were 100% on the ball and friendly, always eager to help in any way. The guests seem to be of the same high caliber and we enjoyed interacting with both. Since we usually sleep in a memory foam type bed I typically do not get a good night's rest when away. Their king bed was surprisingly comfortable and also well made with crisp clean sheets every day. The other room furniture allowed easy stowage of clothes and also included an icebox that worked out well. I suggest trying to book their internet specials, 105 for a regular, 135 with the king. This room was a bargain. They do charge a facility fee that is very reasonable and was rebated against the alacarte spa fees. The indoor pool was quite large but the hot tub small. Note that both did not get much visitor use while we were there with the two of us alone 90% of the time we used either. The spa services were very relaxing/refreshing and from our limited knowledge, reasonably priced. We will be planning repeat trip to this fine establishment. Our next trip may be in warmer weather when the outdoor pool will be open, and possibly with a grandchild who would love the large water slide/pool that is also outside. One of the other reviews on TA did note that in two of the sub-wings you do have to cross about a hundred or so feet to get back to the main inn. This was not a problem for us and is probably preferable in some cases. The covered walkways are very classy, but wind driven rain or snow could be a reason to have another glass of wine!

Room Tip: If utilizing spa services request to be housed as closely as possible.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
lawrenceville,ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I typically stay in chain hotels and often Hilton Properties. I was speaking at a convention here and my client booked my room which was lovely: a four poster corner room with stairs up to the incredible bed! I loved it. It reminded me of visiting Grandma. The floral motif was very interesting. The grounds were beautiful and we saw a double rainbow, over the hotel, while there! Staff was pleasant and efficient and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I did not have a car, so I ate all meals in the restaurant. The food was delicious but a but pricey. I did not see other options in walking distance except fast food. A nice change to stay in a hotel with a bit of character and ambiance!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Founders Inn & Spa last night for our 23rd anniversary. We stayed in a suite with a fireplace.

First the positives:
1. The spa treatment my wife and I had (110 minute couples massage - her's Swedish, mine deep tissue) were some of the best massages we've ever had.
2. The food in the Swan Terrace restaurant was very good. We had the Prix Fixe (choose 3) with wine pairings. My wife started with the Chesapeake Crab Bisque and I had the Oysters on the Terrace, both were excellent and both were paired with the 2008 Rockbridge, White Riesling from Virginia. For our salads, my wife had the Caesar and I had the Virginia Berry Spinach & Endive with grilled Goat cheese. My wife's was paired with 2009 Spy Valley, from Marlborough, New Zealand and mine was paired with 2006 Indaba, Chenin Blanc, Western Cape, South Africa. Again, both were excellent! For our entrees, my wife had the lobster ravioli and I had the Colorado Lamb Chops. My wife's ravioli included sauteed shrimp, scallops, and smoked bacon. The dish was a little too salty but still very good. My wife paired this with 2009 Portillo, Pinot Noir, from Mendoza, Argentina. My lamb chops were grilled perfectly and served on a bed of mashed potatoes and sauteed spinach. My dish was paired with the 2009 Douglas Green, Shiraz, from Western Cape, South Africa. We passed on dessert. My only complaint about the dinner was all the wine was served in the cheapest generic wine glasses. We had the buffet breakfast this morning and the food, again, was very good especially the grits and homemade croissants.

Now the negatives:
1. The rooms need a drastic update. The colors are drab, the bathrooms are sparse and small. Definitely not what we expected for a resort. Felt more like a room from a low-end hotel.
2. The spa is nice but the workout area feels like it was an afterthought and all the workout equipment was placed in whatever open area they could find. It is all together instead of having the aerobic equipment together and separated from the weights.

Room Tip: Our suite was very large but not elegant by any stretch, suggest you book a standard room and use th...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I had the opportunity to visit the Almond Spa at the Founders inn and it was a very enjoyable experience. The staff was very accommodating and professional. I felt pampered and total relaxed when I left. I plan on making more visits to their spa.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I have always wanted to stay at this hotel since it's located around the corner from Regent University. Upon arrival I was checked in by a friendly front desk clerk, which is always a nice way to start your time away from home. I had a standard hotel room with a queen size bed. The room was a little dated in the decor department, an old country flare of blue and white. I noticed the carpets through out the property and in my room could use an updating as well. I did appreciated the extra vanity sink in the room. Although the people were nice, and the bed pillows comfortable, my WII connection didn't work. They did offer to fix it during standard business hours but I would need to be present which I couldn't because I was always out of my room during these hours. Food choice were limited and overpriced. But I am still glad I stayed here this one time. I hope in the future they will make some of these changes and see an increase in occupancy.

Room Tip: The entire grounds are very quiet and are lovely to look at.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
While we certainly appreciate your compliments of the hotel but I am so disappointed to hear that we were not able to resolve your WII connection in a timely fashion. Our goal is always to do whatever we can to ensure that our guests are as comfortable as possible with the right technology and outstanding service. I will be sure to convey your positive feedback to our Front Desk employees for ensuring you felt welcome from the moment you arrived.

Thank you for responding to TripAdvisor with your valuable comments.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Our oldest daughter recently moved her family to VA Beach area, and this was our first trip there to visit. The Inn was lovely, very clean, quiet, beautiful grounds, and quite cozy. We enjoyed the pool/hot tub before bed, and the exercise facility was amazing, far superior to any hotel gym we've ever seen! Looking forward to our next trip when I hope to schedule a trip to their spa. Would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing The Founders Inn and Spa for your first visit to Virginia Beach. We know you have many options while traveling and we are very pleased you chose to stay with us--and enjoyed your stay so much you wrote about it. I will be sure to share your sentiments with our employees. We will look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit your daughter and grandkids in Virginia Beach.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

The service at the Founders Inn exceeded my expectations. The facility, the food, the rooms and the customer service of every staff member I encountered were exceptional from the driver of the shuttle to and from the airport, the registration staff, to the maintenance and banquet workers. It is a beautiful hotel, with well manicured grounds, fountains and walking paths. The room with the colonial theme was clean and the bed was comfortable. The chef did an excellent job of preparing delicious vegetarian meals for 450 of us. The banquet staff were well prepared and courteous. I look forward to returning to the Founders Inn in the future
and highly recommend this hotel for a conference, retreat, family or business stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Your extremely kind comments are indeed appreciated and will be shared with our employees. We are especially proud of our staff and they enjoy the recognition for their hard work from our guests. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor and please return again soon and often

Otto Svensson, General Manager

Been to The Founders Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!