“The best place to stay for vacation and business travelers!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South

You added Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #3 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, VA
“The best place to stay for vacation and business travelers!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

I have been staying at the Courtyard Marriott South for over 3 years and have averaged over 60 nights per year at this hotel alone. I am a Platinum member with Marriott and am VERY picky as to where I stay whether it be for business or pleasure. There are several other Marriott properties and a hundred other hotels in the area. I have stayed at most of them and the Courtyard South is where I feel most at home.

There are many factors that I consider when choosing where to stay for business and vacation. First of all, the hotel has to be clean. I was stunned to read (in previous reviews) that others found the hotel dirty. Trust me, I am the first one to complain about something and I have NEVER been to this hotel and found things less than spotless. I also like to have a room that is spacious, open, with a comfortable work space and bed. The Courtyard South meets all of these expectations. Wireless internet is prompt and easy to get to. I often joke wih my wife that when I really need a good night sleep, I go to the beach. She doesn't really get a kick out of that, but it is the case. Bedding is comfortable and the mattess is just right for my taste.

If location is important to you, this is the place to be. You are within walking distance of hundreds of restaurants in the area. The boardwalk runs just in front of the hotel and the beach is just on the other side. Beach access is perfect with showers just outside the hotel to rinse your things.

Something to note: Bringing beach chairs can always be a pain. If you find that you overpack and don't have the room for chairs, the hotel does offer beach chair service on the beach. They are always prompt and courteous. There is a small fee for these chairs so keep that in mind - you will find the same thing with the other upscale properties in the area.

Finally, I want to mention the staff of this hotel. The staff is one of the main reasons I continue to return to the Courtyard South. They are very professional and love to interact with the customers. I have yet to stay at a hotel anywhere where I am made to feel so at home. They are dedicated to making each guest's stay comfortable and memorable. That's all I can ask for.

To avoid confusion, there are two Courtyard properties within a mile or so of each other (Courtyard South and Courtyard North). I have stayed at both. Both are nice hotels, but the location of the South property is a better locale. It is closer to the nicer restaurants, bars, and shopping in my opinion. I would highly recommend this property for business or vacation. I have not had one complaint after about 180 nights at this hotel. I'll be happy to answer any questions any readers may have. There are not many hotels that I would offer that for. My wife and I have stayed here for business and pleasure and have had a great experience everytime. Stay here!!! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

Bio:
Platinum with Marriott, Holiday Inn. Diamond with Hilton. Gold with Starwood. Average 150 nights a year. Worst year: 332 nights.

This Courtyard is above average for Courtyards. This was my second stay, the last stay more than a year ago. Its best feature is location. Location, location, location. Right on the beach. All rooms (from what I can tell) are ocean front with balconies. The beach in front of the property is very wide and clean.

Cleanliness: 8/10 (not immaculate, but very clean)
Location: 10/10
Internet Speed: 3/10 (download 207k, upload 110k)
Friendliness of Staff: 7/10
Restaurant: 5/10 (average hotel restaurant)
Checkin/Checkout: 10/10 (no problems)
Parking: 8/10 (there is a parking lot, but it may be limited in high season)
Bedding: 4/10 (last generation CY bedding)
Furnishings: 5/10 (maritime theme, but wood laminated pieces look like they were bought from a Super 8 that went out of business)

Recommendations: Nice place to stay. The hotel needs to update the furnishings. Staff and property are better than most Courtyard properties. A pleasant surprise. Also consider the 'other' Courtyard in Va Beach, which is similar to this one, but seems newer/fresher. Location is prime!

• Liked — Lcoation
  • Disliked — Internet is incredibly slow. In off-season, can't imagine what it is like in high-season.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

My son and I decided to drive down from D.C., for a few days relaxation. We got in late the first night, and pretty much dropped our bags, ran out for dinner, came back and went straight to sleep. The next morning as I stepped into the shower, I saw the hair in the shower, and on the bathroom floor for the first time. At that point I was already wet, and as I was considering stepping out, I noticed the bathroom floor, with the hair all over it. My hair is long and blonde, and these hairs, were the opposite, short and dark. After shuddering and washing the shower down I quickly finished my shower and finished getting ready. As I was getting ready, I realized I was getting crabbier, and caught myself walking on the edges of my feet, trying to lay towels down. The floor was so gross, its amazing the cleaning staff didn't see it. At that point my son and I checked out a day early. When I went to the desk, I told the clerk that I was checking out becuase my room was gross and dirty. He simply said ok and processed my account. Amazing that this is what passes for quality customer service now days. I should also mention that the pool area was gross, the jacuzzi took 10 minutes of tinkering by maintenance to get working, and the pool itself was cold. There was an old used bandaid laying in the towel hamper, and the place just felt dirty. I do need to say though, that the night clerk was friendly and helpful, and the maintenance man was quick to arrive, nice, and worked hard until he got the jacuzzi working. If able to decide again, I definately would avoid this hotel. I had incorrectly assumed (we all know what happens when we assume!) that this hotel would be fine off season, understanding that it is virtually impossible to keep up with hundreds of beach goers. My mistake ~ don't waste your money.

• Liked — Checking out early!
  • Disliked — Pick an option!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Huntington, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

We drove 250 miles out of our way for this disapointment. I usually am quite satisfied with Mariott hotels, but this one was just shameful. There was no place to park at all. Upon entering the lobby we knew this was a bad place. There was people who were obviously intoxicated carrying more alcohol into the hotel. I immediately wanted to leave, but we decided to push through and take a look at our room before we made our decision. The room was disgusting. It reaked of vomit and heavy perfume and there was a very large visable stain in the carpet.
Needless to say we left.
The frontdesk staff refunded our money with no questions asked, like they knew why we where leaving.
This completely ruined our vacation, as I was traveling with children who really wanted to go to the beach. We ended up totally avoiding this tourist trap of a city. None of the hotels really looked like they wuold be much better than this mess.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

Stayed for thee days recently. Room was not ready at check in time 5pm had to wait , they did offered a free bufftet coupon for the following morning. Had to call three times to request additional towels but is my understanding that no one knew the room was occupied?????. The room was cleaned only once during our stay even do we called many times asking for service.

Requested to speak to the Manager but first I was told she will be in at 10 am but when I called back at 11am I was told she will not be in until 4pm. Spoke with Assistant about a running water noise throughout the evening coming from the room next door it turned out to be a noisy refrigerator in my room which was quickly replaced. Parking space is limited if you find parking at the hotel plan on not moving your vehicle until you leave
Views of the ocean are great!!!!!

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — service, parking
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ironton Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

The vacation was horrible, but our hotel suite was fantastic. The view from our room was amazing ( when it wasn't raining ) and the staff were friendly and very helpful. If we ever return to Virginia Beach we will stay here again! Make sure you goto the breakfast buffet. The waffles are to die for!!!!

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — small pool
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
BALTIMORE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

I tave a lot and I try to stay at a marriott or courtyard. This hotel was dirty. Business centerhas 3 old computers that are too slow and a black and white printer. There were annts all over the place. The halls and elevators smell sour. The parking lot is way to small. The manager was of no help, so I left without staying over night.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South? Share your experiences!