“Excellent hospitality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South

You added Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South
Ranked #5 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Excellent hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Recent stay was a combination of business & pleasure. Marriott is my hotel of choice and I am a Gold member. I have stayed here before and once again my experience was outstanding...from room type, food & beverage, and hospitality it was what I expect from Marriott. I must say also, Amanda S. was the exclamation point of my stay. So charming, pleasant and hospitable :)....Marriott always seems to find great employees that treat customers well...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Samantha S, Front Desk Supervisor at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such positive feedback regarding your recent business/pleasure trip! I am happy to hear that Amanda helped to make your stay extra special, she is definitely a pivotal part of our Bistro team! Hospitality is our middle name here at Courtyard South, and we enjoy making sure that every guest is able to enjoy their time away from home. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again during your future excursions to Virginia Beach!

Samantha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Rande Gaines, Front Desk Manager extraordinaire displayed his Superman attributes in the excellent experience provided by Rande and the staff of the Courtyard VA Beach Oceanfront South. My husband and I traveled to the beach as an impromptu holiday on the morning of July 5th just after hurricane Arthur visited Virginia. Due to the hurricane a Marriott Rewards room became available which made the visit extra nice. Even though we arrived quite early we were greeted warmly by the staff, invited to park, enjoy breakfast, and begin the beach experience while a room was being prepared. The room, staff, parking valet and bellman each exceeded our expectation. Nice extra having fireworks both nights of our visit that we enjoyed from the balcony each night. The location is on the boardwalk and in a very convenient spot which allowed us to walk to good restaurants and enjoy the summer entertainment. Thanks for a great experience--great place for a couples get away.

Room Tip: Our suite had a double ocean front balcony and was located on the 7th floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful review of your stay with us! I am pleased to learn that Rande was able to exceed your expectations with his winning personality, and that our associates in every department were able to make your impromptu stay with us better than you had imagined. We hope that you will visit us again for the holiday season next year!

Samantha
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My husband recently had a business trip to Virginia Beach for 11 days, so my 2 1/2 year old daughter and I thought we would tag along and enjoy the beach. From the second we pulled in, until the second we left the staff could not have had better customer service! I couldn't believe how great they were.

It started with the complementary valet. Tyler was beyond awesome! He helped unload our over packed SUV and bring it up to our room. He was always super helpful and friendly. He even notice my husband had left his cell phone in the car at one point and brought it up to the room for us. All the valets were always quick and super nice.

The front desk staff was again awesome. I remember at one point my daughter was upset and crying so they gave and blew up a beach ball for her and it cheered her right up.

Our room was always kept nice and clean and having a 2 1/2 year old in there, I am sure it was a chore to get it back to looking so neat each day. We always had plenty of clean towels. Even if I skipped a room cleaning they would leave a bag of towels for us which was great.

And the waiters and waitresses always had a smile on and always made sure to say hi to my daughter. We would not of typically eaten at the hotel. It was $11 for the breakfast buffet and not worth it at all. But our business paid for it. There was not many options and the food was mediocre at best. I mainly stuck with cereal. You can easily walk down the street and get a great breakfast for 8 or 9 dollars and it be worth your money.

The room itself was nice and clean. We had two full size beds which I found comfortable. It was small for staying there 11 days but it was typical for a hotel room. We had a mini fridge, but really wished there was a microwave. Though they do have one in the lobby. The views of the beach are awesome and loved sitting on the balcony. And every Wednesday and Sunday they shot fireworks off from the ocean right in front of our balconies and my daughter loved that. I was also shocked how quiet the rooms were for a hotel! I never heard anything, even the fireworks were drowned out unless you opened the balcony door. That was a very nice perk.

We enjoyed the pool a few nights, but it was overly chlorinated for our liking. Even after a shower we smelled like chlorine so we mainly stuck to the beach.

The location is right at the beginning of the Beach Street activities for summer. Which was awesome to walk out to each night. And an easy drive to everything.

Overall we enjoyed our time there. It was a typical hotel, but the staff put it over the top!

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor and had a great view and no sound problems.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you for the nice review of our hotel and for mentioning the many departments you interacted with during your stay with us! For our future TripAdvisor guests, we have microwaves available as an “on call” item at no additional charge – just give our front desk a ring, and we’ll be happy to deliver one to your room!

I hope we will see you on a future trip to our hotel again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Just like all the reviews on here this staff has the best customer service I have ever seen and I work in customer service as well.

Front desk checking in was easy and uplifting, valet was very helpful with unloading and loading car, breakfast area employees were very chipper and happy especially for the morning because I am definitely not a morning person and I commend them for keeping a genuine smile on their faces!
Housekeeping and just the staff walking around the hotel were so nice and happy! I love it!

Across the board...amazing job marriott!

• Stayed August 2014
Hi Colleen, thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel team members! I’m happy to hear the front desk staff, valet staff, restaurant staff, and housekeeping staff made your stay enjoyable! We hope to see you back at our hotel again soon!

Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Excellent hotel for beachgoers & Getaways. The staff is subperb & could not be more professional.
The rooms are quiet, and comfortable.
The food is moderately priced, & the hotel has a morning breakfast buffet, whic is rare since the Courtyards did away with the morning buffet and went to the "Bistro" concept.
All in all an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the Oceanfront & are excellent
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thanks for the nice review of our hotel and the comments regarding our staff service! I was very happy to read your review and I’ll make sure to pass your comments on to our team.

And yes, our hotel still does feature a morning breakfast buffet! When we moved to the Bistro back in 2012, we kept the buffet also, because it was such a popular amenity at our hotel. We’re happy to offer our guests the best of both worlds – either a delicious cup of Starbucks coffee and a cooked to order breakfast at the Bistro, or a trip through our breakfast buffet featuring a rotating menu and many great selections.

New this year is Starbucks Frappuccinos! We added these items earlier this year, and they’ve been a huge hit with guests!

Thanks again for leaving feedback on our hotel, and we hope to see you on a future trip to our area.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Me and my wife came here the weekend of the 4th of July to celebrate our wedding anniversary and a babymoon before the birth of our daughter and I must say we were very amazed. When we walked in the door the recognized us right away and made us feel very welcome. The staff is amazing. I've never been to a hotel where it seemed like everyone enjoyed their job and was always smiling. They are super friendly and very helpful. We also had our 1.5 year old son with us and they made him feel special from the start. I can't remember the one guys name at the front desk but when he saw our son had on superman he was in love with him. I think he was a huge superman fan lol. My son thought he was funny and just kept smiling at him. We were pleasantly surprised that they actually upgraded our room for us and the extra space was greatly appreciated especially with a very active toddler. He loved running up and down the hallway and from room to Tom area. Trust me he kept us busy chasing after him but he had a blast and that made us happy. Most Beach Resorts are dirty and worn out looking but this place is really well maintained and updated. The rooms are super clean and the beds were comfy. The view from the balcony is spectacular. We loved watching the beach fireworks from there because it has the prime view of the show. We didn't have one negative thing to say about this place. We will definitely make this our new Beach hotel as we go to the beach at least twice a year. I'm not sure why this hotel isn't the number 1 rated hotel in VA Beach cause it has to be hard for any other hotel to be able to duplicate the service and commitment they give here. This place gets the highest of high ratings in my eyes. Me and wife left very very impressed with this place. Keep up the good work and we will most definitely be back really soon.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Wow! Thank you for the great review of our hotel!

Our Front Desk Supervisor, Rande, is a huge Superman fan, so I’m sure that’s who your son encountered when you were checking in. He always makes sure we recognize our younger guests, as we know the first part of a successful and fun family vacation is making sure the kids have a great time!

I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and we look forward to seeing you on a future trip to our area.

North Olmsted, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

From the moment of our arrival to the morning of our departure, the hotel staff was phenomenal !
Christal, Rande, Jonathan and Sam, the front desk staff, made us feel extremely welcome, and
were all so friendly. The following day, Erin and Gregory greeted us as we made our way to the
amazing breakfast buffet. Tyler went out of his way to assist us, both with our luggage, and with
parking our car. He was so pleasant and helpful ! Sharika took amazing care of our hotel
room. She was both friendly and professional. Amanda, from the Bistro, was very helpful and
friendly as well. While in the elevator and in the hotel lobby, we would run into Ray and Johnny.
They were always busy making sure that everything in the hotel was operating smoothly. In
addition, we were extremely pleased with the hotel amenities, as well as with our absolutely
gorgeous ocean-front view!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hi Karen,

Thank you for the nice review of our hotel, and for recognizing the staff members who made your stay so enjoyable. I’m happy to hear you came in contact with so many great members of our team. As the summertime is our busiest time of the year, we all try extra hard to make sure our summertime guests have great stays at our hotel, and I’m thrilled to hear you were happy with your stay.

Chris

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South? Share your experiences!