You added Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Birthday Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Drove to Virginia Beach for a short getaway over Easter break. Got a great AAA deal on line so I booked a Corner Balcony Suite. Great room, so big. It had a separate living room with balcony & the bedroom was bigger than mine at home, although the bed was a little too hard for my husband. Everyone we interacted with was so friendly & helpful. Our room was cleaned while we were out for breakfast which was nice as often I have to call. We didn't eat there, they had a small menu at the Bistro. Parking was easy & right out front, although I noticed they had an extra lot across the street. I imagine they need it in the summer. I did not use the pool, but noticed it was small. I guess in the summer when you have the ocean, why swim in a pool. My only complaint was the towels were small & very rough but I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
We are pleased to hear that you had a nice stay with us for your birthday! I apologize for the towels being a bit rough; our newer linens are often times not as soft as the ones which have been used more. Please let us know if you decide to stay again, and we can see about finding you a more plush towel! Thank you for the review and we hope to see you again.

-Samantha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am used to Courtyard Marriotts being consistently good. However, this one was a disappointment. The room was cold but there was no temperature control unit. There was no safe in the room which is surprising at the beach. The bathroom is a toilet and shower stall - as basic as you can get. The maintenance man was rude taking the elevator with a linen cart instead of letting us use the elevator first. The rest of the staff were helpful and lovely but the overall feel was not what I am used to. We had stayed at the Springhill Suites another Marriott property several weeks earlier and it was a far superior experience for about the same cost.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to leave us a comment. We apologize for the disappointing stay that you shared with us, but if you plan to stay again in the future, please contact me at the front desk and I will make sure that you have a wonderful stay. If you wish to discuss the matter further please contact us at (757) 491-6222.

Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here two night in April. Rooms seemed updated, comfortable, and very clean. Bistro, lobby, and sitting area were roomy and very inviting. Plenty of outlets in rooms and throughout hotel. Ok wifi access although slow at times. Large interactive screen in lobby with lots of apps. Only complaint - heat in our room was not working, but not a big problem given the season. Would stay at again.

• Stayed April 2013
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful review of our hotel! We are so glad to hear that you had a nice stay with us, but I am sorry to learn of the WiFi and heating issue after your departure. Our team works diligently to make sure that our guests are having the best possible stay with us. I apologize for the inconvenience of the internet access and improperly functioning heating unit. Please let us know what we can do for you the next time you plan your trip to Virginia Beach!

Callao, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I couldn't find anything wrong with this hotel. Nice staff, easy check in. Pool was nice, with small hot tub. Lobby was very nice. Rooms were great. King room had plenty of space. Very clean. Nice location on the ocean. I usually can find something that I dislike but not this time. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
We are thrilled to hear that you and your family had such a wonderful stay with us! Our well trained staff members work hard to ensure a nice stay for our guests. We enjoy the positive feedback and hope to see you back again!

Prosper, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is seems to be a little down from where the main action is but there was a marathon in town and I couldn't get any closer to Neptune's Statue (main area it seems like), However, this location was just fine. We were on the 9th floor....ideal...saw dolphins! Right outside our hotel we found a 'stable' on the beach and rode horses! The indoor pool/hot tub was delightful and my kids loved it! All rooms face the beach with a little balcony. Beds were very comfortable with crisp sheets (big deal for me) and all was very clean and room large. My only complaint was we could not connect to the internet like they promised....called several times. (Something about Mac books) They promised to call back soon....four hours later no call so we called again. The last hour we were there we finally got on. I kinda want to hold this against them and rate them lower than five stars but I keep hearing my kids saying how much they loved this hotel. Workout room nice too. Free parking is always great! Buffet breakfast (10.95) was pretty good (exact food buffet we got included at Hampton Inn in Williamsburg the night before). Overall I would say this was a great experience. (Paid about $160 through Expedia for one night)

Room Tip: ALL face the ocean....I didn't believe it but, OMGoodness....they are great!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We are glad to hear that you and your children enjoyed your stay with us! I do however apologize for the inconvenience of the internet not functioning properly. Our maintenance crew works around clock to take care of these issues, and we are sincerely sorry for not being able to correct the problem in a timely manner. We hope that you plan to visit us again, and thank you for the feedback!

-Samantha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed in the presidential suit room 1009 the supervisor was very helpful her made sure my stay at the marriott was a nite to remember mr. rande gaines did everthing to the best of his abilities to make sure my stay was as pleasant as possible an I greatly appreciated his hard work along with the other staff will always think about coming back to this location an my name is sergeio wynn, very pleased

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are always happy to hear that our guests had a great stay. Please don't hesitate to give us a call when you're ready to make another reservation.

Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel a year ago, in February 2012, and it was a horrible experience. The reason was because they mistakenly put me on a floor that was undergoing renovations, and I didn't discover until the following morning that there was no hot water on the entire floor! While the situation was rectified (I was given temporary access to a room on another floor so I could shower and get ready for a business meeting), it left me extremely disappointed and wondering how such an oversight could happen. Neverthless, I decided to give the hotel a second chance a year later and I'm glad I did.

The hotel renovations are now complete, and the first thing I noticed was a fresh, new entry foyer and breakfast/restaurant area. The colors are bright and bold and lend a chic touch to the ground floor. I was eager to see the renovated guest rooms. They did a very nice job. While I think some of the aspects were unchanged (wallpaper, some fixtures, same old noisy heat/AC unit), overall the room had a comfortable and sophisticated look with the new furniture and upgrades, and was very conducive to getting work done (the "old" desk chairs, for example, were red pleather that were uncomfortable and in various stages of cracking/peeling. The new ones are comfy and modern). This isn't your normal Courtyard - plus every room has a beautiful oceanfront view which isn't something I'm used to seeing on business trips!

This property really redeemed itself in my eyes. The front desk people as well as the folks at the breakfast bistro were friendly, outgoing, and energetic. They don't pretend you're invisible - not a single employee passed by without making eye contact and saying hello. They are doing something right at this hotel and I will surely stay here again the next time my travels take me to Virginia Beach.

Room Tip: Join the Marriott Rewards program. It's free and you may get upgrades to some of the larger sui...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Tanner D, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience while staying with us. We appreciate the second chance and are pleased that we were able to meet your expectations The Courtyard by Marriott South is newly renovated as of last year and we are pleased that you enjoyed the new decor and great staff members! We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

Tanner

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South? Share your experiences!