“Excellent property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Excellent property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Had nothing bad to say about this place. Lots of free parking, nicely decorated, good rooms. Got a nice wrap around suite with oceanfront balcony. Lots of work being done on the beach, hopefully that's cleared up before the summer!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us, but I do apologize for the beach replenishment project that was taking place during your stay. The dredging ended a few weeks ago, and the oceanfront is once again calm and peaceful. Thank you for your review, and we hope to see you again!

-Samantha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Richmond, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

It is always difficult to make last minute arrangements and so this time was no different. I'm a sucker for a good hotel, but this trip was impromptu and not only was I entered to run the Polar Plunge 5K, but I had to find an affordable and conveniently located hotel.

I had go through a list of hotels online and I respect people's reviews so although I wanted to stay at a "fancier" hotel, the reviews for those mentioned were not so good. I finally decided to come here as it was just the right distance away from the events and was just the right price.

The thing I want to mention above the nice decor, the very clean room, the view from our room, and the quietness of our hall is how incredibly nice and helpful the staff is here. Not only was I able to extend my checkout due to wanting to come back in between events at the Polar Plunge, but I had forgotten my earphones and the man at the front desk went out of his way to help me find some. Unfortunately there were none to be found, but his efforts were commendable. When the bistro got our breakfast order wrong they gave us more than extra food to apologize and it was nice sitting after a 5K and watching the ocean as we ate. Even when we arrived the vibe of the hotel was nice and we were greeted with casual, genuine smiles.

I loved the modern feel of the hotel as well, you can tell they are trying to work on their image and it showed as it looked very relaxed there. I don't know what it is like in season but I can say that what I experienced was incredible customer service and accommodations were met. I'm a sucker for such things and this place delivered.

Room Tip: the staff makes this place
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tanner D, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to write such great comments about Courtyard by Marriott South. We are happy to hear how the wonderful staff took care of you and it was a pleasure having you stay with us. We hope to see again for next year's Polar Plunge event and hopefully even sooner!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Being fairly unafraid of the cold weather, my girlfriend and I decided on a trip to Virginia Beach for Christmas weekend this last month. It's nice. No hoards of tourists to contend with and a fairly quiet (not deserted though), peaceful scene.
The Courtyard South is in a very central location. There are tons of cafes and restaurants in the area. There are your typical touristy shops too, where you can buy cheap sunglasses and ridiculous Virginia Beach t-shirts.
Conveniently enough, they have their own parking lot. We're from DC, so we're not used to a place where you can just drive up and NOT have a valet employee waiting to take your car and charge you sixty dollars a day for parking. That alone was refreshing.
We arrived rather late and check-in was a very easy process. The woman working the front desk for night audit was not what you would call "peppy" or "informative" really. In fact, when asking her about anything to do, she was pretty much resistant to tell us anything other than we had to drive about fifteen minutes or go to Norfolk. We weren't looking for anything amazing; just some basic bum-around activities. If it weren't for that, I'd give the place five stars. The rest of the front desk staff were extremely friendly, personable and (maybe because it was slow) one gentleman (dreadlocks) even remembered me by name. Boom. Awesome.
The pool and hot tub area are very nice. Not too large, but not tiny either.
The guest room we had on the seventh floor was wonderful. It had a decently sized balcony and of course, a fantastic view of the whole beach. It was really wonderful to get up early and check out the sunrise over the ocean's horizon. Amazing. The room was decently decorated and the beds were pretty comfortable. The closet we had was huge as well, so if you're staying for awhile, you'll have plenty of space for your belongings.
The housekeeping staff were also efficient and non-disruptive. I would return to this place in a heartbeat. Thank you for a wonderful Christmas weekend, guys.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are happy that you made the trip in the colder weather and enjoyed the beautiful oceanfront views especially the sunrises! Courtyard South is located in the center of the Virginia Beach Boardwalk with many shops, restaurants, and activities all within walking distance. I apologize for your check in experience. We have used your feedback in a positive manner and have put steps in place to ensure that all our staff is aware of all that Virginia Beach has to offer! I am happy that all of your other experiences with the staff were exceptional and created a memorable experience for you and your girlfriend Christmas weekend.

We hope to see both of you for future stays!

Tanner
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We recently stayed at this Courtyard for a quick weekend getaway. The location is great, right on the beach/boardwalk and close to lots of restaurants and shops. The hotel has been recently updated, much like many Courtyards, and is well done. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The only drawback is the bed is a bit too soft, not the "Marriott" beds which seem to be the new norm. Would consider staying here again if we were to travel to the area.

Room Tip: This hotel is laid out so all rooms have an ocean view which is wonderful! We always request a high...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I know its a little late but better late than never! I stayed with friends last year for the Shamrock half marathon! Virginia beach was packed! but this hotel still managed to make us feel welcomed and give us the Marriott treatment you would expect! I can honestly say that i was pleased with the rooms and public areas throughout the three night stay and would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are very proud of our great staff members and pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience! The Courtyard by Marriott is newly renovated as of last year with all oceanfront rooms and a refreshed lobby space.

We can't wait to have you return for a future stay!

Tanner
North Hills, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was a great place to stay on the boardwalk. We stayed in a corner suite with a balcony facing the beach. Perfect accomodations. Very nice accomodating staff. Great view of the ocean. We didn't reuire daily housekeeping and even though that was the case for us, housekeeping would leave a bag on our door with fresh supplies anyway! What we didn't like is that you are promised 1 parking space per room. That is not the case. If you are one of the unlucky ones, you have to surrender your keys to a valet who parks your car across the street. The fighter jets that fly over from 8am until 11pm...SUCK. The noise is atrocious and unbearable. There was a crazy broad yelling at the top of her lungs at 3am one night, but after 1/2 hour of tolerating this, I called down to the front desk and they put a stop to that! The little dining area and barb have a very limited menu, plan on eating out! Don't waste your time renting the double bikes with a roof on them. They cost too much and they are too hard to work. Three great places to eat: Mahi Mahs-on the boardwalk, Doc Taylors and Tautogs. Happy Vacation!

Room Tip: try for a corner suite up high, great views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I want to share my experience at the Courtyard Marriott South at Virginia Beach, Virginia. Of course the room accomodations were excellent but what I want to share is my experience with one very wonderful lady in housekeepking.

I have a great fear of elevators and my friend reserved the room on the 11th floor and I was by myself for most of the day. One day, I had decided that somehow, I was going to get on that elevator and go downstairs on it. When I walked out of my room "Alice" spoke to me with such excitement and happiness that I felt so good just from seeing her. As I approached the elevator, that fear began to rise again and I turned around and asked Alice if she would do me a favor and ride with me downstairs in the elevator. She, without no hesitation, said she would be glad too and rode and comforted me all the way down.

I had to write this because for me, that was the best service I had ever gotten at any hotel..

Thanks Marriott for hiring such valuable employees and Thanks Alice for being there for me!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Christopher T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for the great comments about Alice! I’ll be sure to pass them along to her. Alice has been a longtime associate at our hotel with a great reputation for going above and beyond for whatever our guests require, and I’m glad she was able to make your stay at our hotel more enjoyable!

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and sharing your comments with others.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South? Share your experiences!