“A Really Nice Weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Really Nice Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Being fairly unafraid of the cold weather, my girlfriend and I decided on a trip to Virginia Beach for Christmas weekend this last month. It's nice. No hoards of tourists to contend with and a fairly quiet (not deserted though), peaceful scene.
The Courtyard South is in a very central location. There are tons of cafes and restaurants in the area. There are your typical touristy shops too, where you can buy cheap sunglasses and ridiculous Virginia Beach t-shirts.
Conveniently enough, they have their own parking lot. We're from DC, so we're not used to a place where you can just drive up and NOT have a valet employee waiting to take your car and charge you sixty dollars a day for parking. That alone was refreshing.
We arrived rather late and check-in was a very easy process. The woman working the front desk for night audit was not what you would call "peppy" or "informative" really. In fact, when asking her about anything to do, she was pretty much resistant to tell us anything other than we had to drive about fifteen minutes or go to Norfolk. We weren't looking for anything amazing; just some basic bum-around activities. If it weren't for that, I'd give the place five stars. The rest of the front desk staff were extremely friendly, personable and (maybe because it was slow) one gentleman (dreadlocks) even remembered me by name. Boom. Awesome.
The pool and hot tub area are very nice. Not too large, but not tiny either.
The guest room we had on the seventh floor was wonderful. It had a decently sized balcony and of course, a fantastic view of the whole beach. It was really wonderful to get up early and check out the sunrise over the ocean's horizon. Amazing. The room was decently decorated and the beds were pretty comfortable. The closet we had was huge as well, so if you're staying for awhile, you'll have plenty of space for your belongings.
The housekeeping staff were also efficient and non-disruptive. I would return to this place in a heartbeat. Thank you for a wonderful Christmas weekend, guys.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tanner D, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are happy that you made the trip in the colder weather and enjoyed the beautiful oceanfront views especially the sunrises! Courtyard South is located in the center of the Virginia Beach Boardwalk with many shops, restaurants, and activities all within walking distance. I apologize for your check in experience. We have used your feedback in a positive manner and have put steps in place to ensure that all our staff is aware of all that Virginia Beach has to offer! I am happy that all of your other experiences with the staff were exceptional and created a memorable experience for you and your girlfriend Christmas weekend.

We hope to see both of you for future stays!

Tanner

378 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We recently stayed at this Courtyard for a quick weekend getaway. The location is great, right on the beach/boardwalk and close to lots of restaurants and shops. The hotel has been recently updated, much like many Courtyards, and is well done. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The only drawback is the bed is a bit too soft, not the "Marriott" beds which seem to be the new norm. Would consider staying here again if we were to travel to the area.

Room Tip: This hotel is laid out so all rooms have an ocean view which is wonderful! We always request a high...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I know its a little late but better late than never! I stayed with friends last year for the Shamrock half marathon! Virginia beach was packed! but this hotel still managed to make us feel welcomed and give us the Marriott treatment you would expect! I can honestly say that i was pleased with the rooms and public areas throughout the three night stay and would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are very proud of our great staff members and pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience! The Courtyard by Marriott is newly renovated as of last year with all oceanfront rooms and a refreshed lobby space.

We can't wait to have you return for a future stay!

Tanner
North Hills, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was a great place to stay on the boardwalk. We stayed in a corner suite with a balcony facing the beach. Perfect accomodations. Very nice accomodating staff. Great view of the ocean. We didn't reuire daily housekeeping and even though that was the case for us, housekeeping would leave a bag on our door with fresh supplies anyway! What we didn't like is that you are promised 1 parking space per room. That is not the case. If you are one of the unlucky ones, you have to surrender your keys to a valet who parks your car across the street. The fighter jets that fly over from 8am until 11pm...SUCK. The noise is atrocious and unbearable. There was a crazy broad yelling at the top of her lungs at 3am one night, but after 1/2 hour of tolerating this, I called down to the front desk and they put a stop to that! The little dining area and barb have a very limited menu, plan on eating out! Don't waste your time renting the double bikes with a roof on them. They cost too much and they are too hard to work. Three great places to eat: Mahi Mahs-on the boardwalk, Doc Taylors and Tautogs. Happy Vacation!

Room Tip: try for a corner suite up high, great views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I want to share my experience at the Courtyard Marriott South at Virginia Beach, Virginia. Of course the room accomodations were excellent but what I want to share is my experience with one very wonderful lady in housekeepking.

I have a great fear of elevators and my friend reserved the room on the 11th floor and I was by myself for most of the day. One day, I had decided that somehow, I was going to get on that elevator and go downstairs on it. When I walked out of my room "Alice" spoke to me with such excitement and happiness that I felt so good just from seeing her. As I approached the elevator, that fear began to rise again and I turned around and asked Alice if she would do me a favor and ride with me downstairs in the elevator. She, without no hesitation, said she would be glad too and rode and comforted me all the way down.

I had to write this because for me, that was the best service I had ever gotten at any hotel..

Thanks Marriott for hiring such valuable employees and Thanks Alice for being there for me!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Christopher T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for the great comments about Alice! I’ll be sure to pass them along to her. Alice has been a longtime associate at our hotel with a great reputation for going above and beyond for whatever our guests require, and I’m glad she was able to make your stay at our hotel more enjoyable!

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and sharing your comments with others.
Bowie, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel was very nice, with a great view of the ocean. Very clean hotel,; The management was the Best! Rande , thank you & your staff for their hospitality. I would recommend your hotel to all my friends visiting Virginia Beach.

Room Tip: Great restaurant for breakfast is Dr.TAYLOR. Ask Rande
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
northeast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Board of health determined that this Marriot had bed bugs. My friend had to go to the emergency room. Marriot tried to deny it, and they probably will continue on that path. I saw her room and it was discusting. All of my belongings had to be thrown out or sprayed. When I returned home, I threw out my suitcase and many other items. I wish they would have been more proactive in giving me some compensation, such as paying for laundrey, etc. They did not! I was there on business (training) for 10 days. Because of this, I couldn't sleep........what a shame!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I’m sorry to hear of your experience and regret that I did not have a chance to speak with you personally when you were here as I was out of town on business. However, another member of our management team spoke with you during your stay, and the follow up report you requested from the board of health would have confirmed that no bedbugs were found in your room. It’s my commitment that every guest who stays with us has an enjoyable stay, and I would encourage you to reach out to me directly at the hotel phone number if you feel we overlooked something.

The public perception of our hotel, especially on TripAdvisor, is very important to me, as is the accuracy of the information and how our hotel is portrayed to future travelers. As you can see from reading the many other great reviews on our site, our hotel has a long standing commitment and history of providing clean, comfortable guest rooms, a friendly staff, and making our travelers feel at home. I regret that you feel we did not provide this to you, and am always available should you wish to discuss further.

Christopher Thiele
757-491-6222 x 6003

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South? Share your experiences!