“I'm okay that it's not a Five Star” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Internet + Breakfast
Ranked #47 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“I'm okay that it's not a Five Star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We live in Central Virginia but just a little too far from Virginia Beach to stay for an evening event and return to be safe driving or well-rested the next day. This Courtyard is our favorite for a quick visit to the beach or a concert or other activity in the Tidewater area. Our most recent stay was this June 2014. Although this Marriott property is not new, it is well kept, updated and very clean. The beds are quality Marriott... luxurious for a restful night's sleep. The staff has always been very hospitable. It's a great place to stay and convenient to the area's many major roadways. Hoping to get back there before long because we love the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Norfolk, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for being a loyal guest of the Virginia Beach/Norfolk Courtyard Hotel. We are happy to know that we can continue to impress you with our friendly service and clean accommodations. We are glad that our central location to Virginia Beach & downtown Norfolk works out so well for your needs and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Thomaston, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

For Marriott it's average to below-average. All the doors on all the rooms slam when shutting. But it's a great location and a great spot to stay when you're coming south from the Maryland Eastern shore to stay overnight before heading down to the Outer Banks.

Go to the Dockside Inn or Bubbas on the river for crabs at night and then you can hit McDonald's in the morning on the way out before getting back on the interstate.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jennifer T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Norfolk, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding our hotel. Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff service. They really do work hard & deserve to be recognized.
I'm sorry to hear that you experienced noise issues during your visit. I will certainly have engineering look into adjusting the door closures to see if that will mitigate the slamming.
The location of the hotel really allows you access to all areas of Hampton Roads easily. It's nice to see you got a chance to do so.
Next time you are in the area, you should check out Surf Rider. It is another local restaurant known for their crab cakes & also one of my favorite local secrets!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Courtyard Virginia Beach Norfolk is in a good location if you are traveling around Virginia Beach area. Rooms are current, clean and staff helpful. Not too many restaurants in the immediate area, but 10-15 min drive is downtown.

Room Tip: Away from the beach, so good for business travelers
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Norfolk, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for stying and taking the time to review our hpte;. I'm glad you enjoyed the room and staff service.
The location of the hotel really allows you to access all areas of Hampton Roads easily and just far enough out of the hustle & bustle of the vaction crowd!
Thank you for recognizing our associates, they really work hard and appreciate the recognition.
SPOTSYLVANIA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

The atmosphere and overall smell made me fell uncomfortable. The Staff was friendly, but incompetent. I Traveled alone .and asked to be moved from the room I was in on the 2nd floor that had an adjoining room because I did not feel safe. I was given another room on the 1st floor with another adjoining room and the concern of sliding patio door to be concerned with. I gave up and just had my son who was just there to escort me safely, stay the night. This did not live up to the standards of Marriott.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Jennifer T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Norfolk, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel.
You indicated that the staff service was unsatisfactory. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations.
I can understand how traveling alone can sometimes be uncomfortable, but be assured that the connecting doors do have a deadbolt & the sliding doors have a security bar on them for your safety! I'm sure that the associate did not intentionally put you in another connecting room rather than made an honest mistake.
You are a valued customer and we would like to regain your trust & would like to serve you again in the future.
If I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sandwich, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed here for a few days when my son came back from deployment. Staff was friendly and helpful. All new carpeting everywhere. Everything including the room was very clean. Good location central to everything. Good breakfast at the Denny's right up the street (walkable). For the money we couldn't find anything wrong with this place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay as we do take great pride in ensuring our guests' satisfaction.
We are certainly at the perfect location directly between Virginia Beach & Norfolk which makes us a great choice for leisure travel as well.
We look forward to having you as our guest in the future!
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Friendly staff. Room as expected (high floor). Quiet (on the side not facing I-264). Good parking. Good location half way between Norfolk and Virginia Beach. I have stayed here before years ago and will stay in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Norfolk, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you so much for the 5 Star rating!
It does mean a lot to the associates to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Harlingen, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Marriott courtyard is my preferred hotel. Unfortunately while the rooms at this one have been updated the place seems a little tired and musty. My room smells of some sickly sweet disinfectant. I can't stop sneezing. Not many channels on the tv. Staff is friendly answer and accommodating,and the rooms are neat and clean, but I can't get over the smell.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer T, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Norfolk, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed in our hotel. We do try to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay and it sounds like we may have let you down.
We do use standard Ecolab chemicals at our hotel as the other Marriott hotels utilize. I'm not sure if it may be the air freshener or a cleaning chemical that may be upsetting you.
Please contact us at the front desk and request that housekeeping services your room with no chemicals so we may rectify this immeditately!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Norfolk? Share your experiences!