“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Harlingen, Texas
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Marriott courtyard is my preferred hotel. Unfortunately while the rooms at this one have been updated the place seems a little tired and musty. My room smells of some sickly sweet disinfectant. I can't stop sneezing. Not many channels on the tv. Staff is friendly answer and accommodating,and the rooms are neat and clean, but I can't get over the smell.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer T, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Norfolk, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed in our hotel. We do try to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay and it sounds like we may have let you down.
We do use standard Ecolab chemicals at our hotel as the other Marriott hotels utilize. I'm not sure if it may be the air freshener or a cleaning chemical that may be upsetting you.
Please contact us at the front desk and request that housekeeping services your room with no chemicals so we may rectify this immeditately!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Yulee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Awesome hotel, my kids and I were traveling to see my sister and we stayed at this Courtyard. The hotel has recently been updated so we gave it a try. The rooms were a nice size; the beds were OH SO comfortable, and queens... not doubles!! We did not have a fridge in the room but a quick call to the front desk fixed that, and at no additional cost. I was happy about that! Granite countertops.. Standard bathroom but I loved that the room opened up to a courtyard in the center of the hotel. When we come back in the summer this will be great for the kids to swim and I can relax just a short distance from the pool. And I will be back!
Breakfast was not included, but that was ok, since the rate was descent. I had bacon, egg and cheese on sourdough and a Starbucks coffee, the sandwich was so big I shared it with my sister when she came to get us. I should have taken pictures of the sandwich, sorry.. You’ll just have to go by and get one for yourself. Enjoy!! I know I will next time I am in the area.
OH.. I forgot the interactive TV screen that showed the weather and the traffic in the area, it told my sister which highways to avoid. Very nice!

Room Tip: Interior rooms that face the center courtyard are really nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Jennifer T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Norfolk, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank You for giving us 5 Stars review as this means a lot to my team. We appreciate for your positive feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you when you are in our area next time!
Onancock, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Spending only one night here, the lobby is in the new Marriott style, but the same attention should have been given to the rooms. The room seemed small, especially the bathroom where the door cleared the toilet seat by an eighth of an inch. Just seemed tired and kind of smelly. And the elevator creaked and thumped and jarred scarily. Did not seem up to my Marriott standard.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Norfolk, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We do try to make sure our guests have a positive experience & it sounds like we have let you down.
We did renovate the lobby and guest rooms in 2013. Unfortunately, there were no structural changes made to the guest rooms. I can certainly understand how the bathroom can feel small.
I am very sorry to hear about the other challenges you encountered. As a follow up, we have already had the elevators serviced for the issues you experienced.
Again, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know so we can address & fix what we can!
Livermore, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed here during Thanksgiving and got the one bedroom king suite. We were pleasantly surprised by the hotel overall. Interestingly, the hotel was dead whereas I thought it would be busy for the holidays. I guess Norfolk is not a not destination for Thanksgiving :-)

The location was perfect - right downtown and central to the area and close to the Navy base. The room was large, comfortable and clean. The staff wasn't overly friendly but they probably didn't want to be working on a holiday.

My only complaint is parking. $20/day was far too steep for this hotel and should be included in the rate.

Overall - a good option if you are visiting Norfolk and want to be downtown yet close to the military bases.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were overall pleased with the hotel!
ocean side new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

As a senior member on trip advisor and Multiple Marriott Vacation Owners that I find that some reviews are confusing. Let me say, I most often stay at Marriott's level 7 hotels but this location was clean and ideal for a weekend visit with my companion and his kids . The kids enjoyed the pool and the hot tub was very well maintained. This was a weekend only but I would definitely return for easy access to the malls, food and a good nights sleep. This is a courtyard that provided a great experience for family and fun. Hats off to Nino Romero the manager on duty and I would definitely ask for him upon my return. Keep up the great work and the breakfast on site is good!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the 5 star rating! Our staff certainly appreciates your kind words. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to allow your stay to be fun and productive!
We certainly hope to see you again during your next visit.
Gaithersburg, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

While not at the beach, was close enough that I didn't mind driving the family to the beach. Did not really partake in service offerings at the hotel, outside of sleeping room, but historically I have enjoyed the courtyard brand - having traveled for business mostly. Would go back and stay for next trip. No complaints.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Norfolk, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. We try to ensure every guest has a great experience when staying with us. Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your time here & hope that if you travels bring you back to this area, you will stay with us again!
Plainfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I turned to Marriott as I have in the past when I travel. I actually was in the area visiting relatives, and originally stayed at another Hotel. However, do to certain reasons, I checked out (see previous review). In any case, I grabbed by phone, pulled up the Marriott mobile app, and quickly found this location, made the reservation, all in a matter in minutes.

I was pleasantly greeted by the host upon entry in the late hours of the night. I found the main lobby to be very clean, modern, and updated. My room (Room 117) appeared to have been recently updated. Everything was new, or at least appeared new to me. Bathroom was spotless, with all tiles, structures very clean and in tact. Amenities in this room included a mini fridge, dresser, closet, business desk and chair, king size bed, and fold out couch. This was more than I needed for this trip, but welcomed just the same. There is a sliding door looking out to the parking lot, which was a bit odd. Note, this room is just one room away from the entry door, so access was quick.

There are a few other hotels in the same area. There are also some restaurants and gas stations nearby. If staying here, it is just off the highway exist, so travel to either the beach or the city center is quick.

Overall, as expected, Marriott delivered a quality room at a quality price. This is on my Favorites list for my next trip to this area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your response. We appreciate your kind words & hope that if your travels bring you back to the Hampton Roads area we hope to see you back here at our Courtyard!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Norfolk? Share your experiences!