“Seen better days” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd.

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd. to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd.
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4548 Bonney Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23462   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #88 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginia
“Seen better days”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

So this place was $100 plus a night. You don't expect the Hilton, but you do want something for the money. The place is showing its age, for sure. Glad we brought some extra pillows because the mattress was firm. Not unclean, just a bit ratty. It's a $60 a night hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
brish0213, Owner at Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with Extended Stay America Virginia Beach-Independence Blvd. We strive to provide the best stay possible to our customers. We appreciate you given us an opportunity. I apologize if we did not exceed your expectations. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Thank you again for your time.

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We visited Virginia beach in July and the price of the oceanfront hotels were soooo expensive so we opted for something in the city of Virginia Beach to save some money. And we thought since there was a fridge, stove, etc. we could save on meals. I was so disappointed. Yes, it was inexpensive but I felt SO uncomfortable in the room. I wasn't expecting the ritz and am not normally picky but I at least expected Holiday Inn quality. There was a small tv from 1995, the room was so dark and small. Everything felt outdated and dirty. Paint peeling, rust on the bottom of the fridge from dog pee (this was apparently a pet friendly hotel). We could hear a very loud man next door talking about politics at 10 at night. Thankfully the shower was at least clean. The toilet sounded like a jet engine and we felt really guilty using it too late or too early. We never used the stove, I didn't want to spend a minute longer in that hotel than we had to. I never felt relaxed in that room, and looked forward to checking out. I would probably stay in the city of Virginia Beach again to save money, but NEVER this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd.. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

tucson
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Got the room online for $67 and didn't need more than just a place to sleep on our way through. I was appalled when we drove in. I wouldn't bring my suitcase in because I feared what might crawl in. but when I mopped up the water after my shower, the white towel was spotless. We slept until 10 the next morning because the room was so dark. In the end, I had to admit it was a good bargain

• Stayed July 2012
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., responded to this review, July 31, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd.. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. As you know, our unique suites are designed with you in mind. Offering amenities like a full refrigerator, stovetop, in-room wifi access, personalized voicemail, and on-premise laundry in exceptionally priced rooms has led us to be the premier extended stay option in the industry. And with guests like you, we will continue to thrive.
Please note that our company is in the process of undergoing renovations. We are creating a new ambience and would love for you to come back and visit in the near future! Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels.
Ellicott City, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Spent one night in 2 rooms which was one night too many. Room 102 had moldy coffee pot from coffee in the maker that had obviously not been cleaned in a very long time. Carpets were very wet in a few areas and the smell of urine was prominent. Toilet paper roll in bathroom fell off on first use as it was not connected to the wall. Suppose to be a "handicapped" room for our 98 year old grandmother, but shower pan was very slick (no friction strips). Room 106 had damp areas of carpet as well and there was a half bag of ice and rum left in the freezer, ensuring that we knew it had a minimal cleaning before our arrival. Woke up itchy in both rooms which could just be psychological - we just left the hotel and are praying it is not bed bugs. Stay at your own risk. We will never return.

Room Tip: There are likely others, but avoid rooms 102 and 106
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Fellow travelers, pay a little more money and stay somewhere else. This place is horrid. I stayed there 2 nights, July 11 & 12. I couldn't wait to leave on 7/13.

The room was outdated, but I knew it would be going in to it. You can tell by the photos. I don't mind outdated, but Management stopped caring about this place years ago. Filthy. Cigarette burns in the blanket. Rust rings, stains, mildew in the bathroom. Something had exploded in the microwave - could have been years ago by the age of the remains. Oh, and one other note - I brought home a suprise in my suitcase. Two cockroaches!! Thank you very much Extended Stay. I was tempted to mail the little critters back to them but was too disgusted to touch them.

Now, for the property/tenants. Third floor room, no elevator. I guess they "forgot" to put that in the list of amenities. I don't mind climbing stairs, but having to step around people that wouldn't move out of the way was an extra challenge. "Ladies" hanging around in the stairwell. I can only speculate, but it is my belief they were just waiting to be dispatched to their next client. It sounded like they were on the clock all night, at least until 3:30 a.m. I never saw a security guard. I tried calling the desk, but no one answered. Trashy "guests" running, yelling, playing music all night long. Believe me when I tell you, I made the LOUDEST 6:00 am. departure possible. I only hoped that I woke at least one of the jerks that kept us up all night.

Stray animals in the parking lot. Creepy people hanging around all the time. I felt nervous the entire time. Why didn't I leave sooner, you ask? I only had 2 days to be at the beach. I wasn't going to spend a few hours looking for another hotel. I refused to let this Brothel/Ghetto ruin my mini-vacation.

Room Tip: If you want a decent room, go elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., responded to this review, July 25, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of your recent stay. We strive to provide our guests with a relaxing home away from home experience, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

No words can mitigate a negative experience, but please be assured of our continued commitment to deliver the quality service you expect and deserve. Every effort will be made to prevent further problems of this nature. We take this matter very seriously and will devote ample time with our staff to ensure this does not happen again. I have met with our hotel management and we are using your review to help coach our staff and implement necessary changes at our hotel.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The hotel conditions you described are totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. We value our guests’ feedback and rely on it to continually improve. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotel(sm) other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I never ever write negative reviews about a Hotel. But I feel like the public must know what they are buying when booking this hotel. My sister booked the accommodations for a family get away to VA Beach this weekend. We had 4 rooms and ended up checking out early because we were so displeased with the stay. To begin, our room was upstairs, the stairwell had trash over run out of the can; the smell of urine, air conditioners that were running water on the already cracked dirty sidewalks, a cat was walking around with no owner and a dog greeted me at the car. The only person at the Front Desk to check us in was dressed in street clothing. Another guest walked up to request towels during my check in and was told that they would have to wait for him to wash them and return the same towels to him. The doubles are twin beds. Need I say more. That means that your double rooms can only sleep 2 people not 4. There is no pool. The Hotel is 15 minutes away from the beach - at least and not the 10 minutes advertised. Guests had hung their laundry (not bathing suits/towels) on the banister for drying. There were people in chairs sitting outside of their room, smoking cigarettes, neighbors talking and even a women rocking a newborn baby until at least 11pm. I can not believe that this hotel is in operation at its current condition. The owners of this property must put some money into it, give the workers the tools that they need to succeed and take pride/ownership into their investment. I would NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR EVERRRRRRR recommend this hotel to anyone. More over, our entire vacation was ruined. We left early the next morning for other accomodations; a little more money but it was well worth it. There were two family members that paid cash and were told that their refund would have to be mailed.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms at the property - we had four on different sides of the building and they we...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., responded to this review, July 16, 2012

Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed at this 'hotel' for 4 days, any stay less than 7 days and you do not get any type of room service. If you would like them to stop by you can pay an extra fee, or you can just go exchange towels at the front desk. Trash receptacles are located on the property for you to discard your trash from the room. The room had more than enough towels for one person for my stay.

Staying here reminded me of living in the BEQ when I was in the military. There were tons of people there that seemed to live there, or were just staying there while in training at one of the numerous bases in the area. Either way, it seemed more like an apartment complex than a hotel which didn't really bother me much but for those visiting the area for the first time or not really accustomed to that type of atmosphere, yes this place will definitely seem like the 'ghettos'.

The room was ok, nothing spectactular, had a set of dishes, forks, spoons, and cups. anything else you'll have to bring if you actually plan on using the kitchen. The internet was sketchy most of the time. It is right off the highway and there were a bunch of places to eat in the area which was a plus. The bed wasn't very comfortable at all, the pillows were pretty crappy but it worked for the weekend I guess. Still debating whether I would stay here again, the location is the only thing that would bring me back, and like I said, the type of 'atmosphere' the hotel gives off isn't everyones cup of tea.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd.. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

Been to Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd.

Address: 4548 Bonney Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23462
Location: United States > Virginia > Virginia Beach
Ranked #88 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
Hotel Class:2 star — Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd. 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Extended Stay, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Tingo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stay America Virginia Beach - Independence Boulevard Hotel
Extended Stay Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach Extended Stay

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.