“Great Hotel and lots of fun!” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 114 hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Somerset, Pennsylvania
“Great Hotel and lots of fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. They have a lot of great stuff for kids. My daughter loved the pools and lazy rivers. The hot tub was also nice for the adults. All the staff were wonderful and very friendly. The only downfall is our room didn't have a tub, only a shower. My children also enjoyed the kids kamp and seeing the 2 turtles. We ate breakfast at the buffet one morning and that was also very good and kids were free.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Roberto H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for writing such a nice review about the hotel. I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

599 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Sasebo-shi, Nagasaki, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here just for one night with my three kids & husband.I am scared to book it coz of the reviews but we give it a try.First we arrived no problem it wassnt a big hotel, Lobby is small, we were in the third floor the hallway is dirty! The elevator is so small & slow.We got the Oceanfront suite it was ok wasn't that clean wasn't that dirty I expect more nicer and cleanliness for $210 per night, room is alright nothing fancy, the bathroom looks so cheap, no bathtub specially I have two small children and a nine months old.The pool was ok it's cold outside no wonder y no one swimming on it! The indoor pool OMG!!!i hope the manager here atleast do something the chlorine is so strong!!!!! I didn't even swim yet it burned my eyes and the smell of it like u can't breathe if u will be there for so long atleast do something there if u can't heat the outside pool do something on the chlorine inside the pool I have an infant with me and two and three years old kids!!!we stayed there only 10 minutes coz we can't take it!!The Kids Camp there no one even there when we try to drop the swimming stuff and when we get back no one still so we just let our kids play there since no one on the desk!! won't stay here again, to see is go believed don't believe on the photos.!i never write negative reviews but I think I need too..staff was ok!! But the hotel atleast the hallway vacuum it and clean it coz cleanliness is most important to the guest!!wont coming back here anymore don't think it's worth $210 a night.location was ok,Breakfast the scrambled egg is dry.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Roberto H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments, your review will be looked into.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Nice clean and modern hotel with great views of the beach and the pools. The staff was very friendly and helpful throughout the hotel. Room was very nice and clean as well. We were able to extend our stay by 1 night and stay in our same room without any issues. The only negative thing that I can say is that the indoor pool has way too much chlorine. I was in the indoor pool area 2 times because my son wanted to go into the Jacuzzi but after only 5 minutes each time my eyes were burning and my son told me that my eyes were red so I had to leave that area. Other than that I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review, we are happy to see that your stay was great and hope to see you back.
Moneta, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I booked this hotel for a brief weekend getaway for my family, which included 5 adults and 8 children. We wanted a kid friendly hotel with a lazy river, kiddie pool and indoor pool in case of bad weather. I booked 2 suites, which were very nice and clean. The oceanfront/bedroom section of the suite had 2 queen beds that slept like a dream while the living area section of the suite had a queen sleep sofa, a second TV, 2 chairs, microwave, coffee pot, and a small refrigerator. The sleep sofa wasn't the best for sleeping comfort, but we made do for 2 nights. The lazy river and kiddie pool were a little deeper than I thought they would be, but the kids enjoyed them. The breakfast buffet was delicious and the fact that I only had to pay $5.00 per room and the kids 12 and under ate free made it a great deal. All but one of the hotel staff members were very kind and helpful. The grounds were beautifully kept and the view is spectacular. All in all, my family was pleased with the hotel. I do think that it would be helpful if they had bathtub/shower combinations for smaller children and babies as showering isn't something all kids like. The water pressure was so forceful that it actually stung when showering. I would stay here again, especially if traveling with children. I do think that the price was still a bit high because it was after labor day, but as a frequent Virginia/North Carolina east coast traveler, I realize that places like Virginia Beach and The Outer Banks make their money between May & October.

Room Tip: When traveling in volumes, suites are the only way to go.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review about our hotel. Hopefully next time you are in Virginia Beach, you can stay a bit longer with us.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I love this hotel! The staff are friendly and helpful. It's a wonderful hotel for traveling with families. The rooms were clean and bright with great views. The pools were wonderful! Love the Splash Kamp and movie room. Kids eat free, which is a great perk. There is also a trolley stop right in front of the hotel so it is easy to park your car and get around the strip.

Green Features: Love that this hotel uses local companies for a lot of their needs.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing such a kind review and hope to see you again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

This was our first stay at this hotel. We usually visit Virginia Beach once a year and decided to try someplace new. The kids club and the movie theater and lazy river were the main reasons why we chose to stay at this hotel. Our boys 3 and 5, had a blast!!

We stated at an oceanfront balcony suite that had two queen beds. I found the room to be very clean. The hotel is older but they cleaned our room very well. The room was updated with granite and had a kitchenette with coffee maker, fridge and microwave. We loved to open the sliding door and sit on the balcony. Unfortunately, a lot of people who were staying in this hotel smoke. We sat out on the balcony to get fresh air the first night after driving three hours and two men on the balcony below us were smoking. It was all we could smell. The next night the people to the right of us were smoking a pipe on the balcony. So, nonsmoking rooms but lots of smokers on the balcony. We had the fresh air finally during the day where we could sit and watch the ocean, people jogging and biking by. I would also advise the people who clean to really do a sweep of the breezeway that connects the two hotels, there were some cobwebs here and there in the corners of the windows, which is understandable with all the traffic.

Every staff person was super friendly. They all went out of their way to say hello and engage in conversation. You can tell this place had excellent management by the way the staff are trained to interact with the guests.

The car traffic at the main gate was very congested. I would recommend more people helping assist guests in and out of their cars to move things along. We had to sit and wait awhile to get a space for our car to check in.

We didn't have time to watch a movie but the weekend list was full of movies, an excellent idea that we haven't seen at any other hotels.

Our boys also loved the kids club. They have two tortoises as their mascot. Again, a very nice idea we haven't seen elsewhere. There were plenty of toys and games for the kids. I just wish we knew that the kids need to be 4 yrs old in order to leave them there without a parent. Next year ours will be old enough. Again, I haven't seen any hotels with a kids care that you can leave your kids at while you can... Go catch a movie or have some time to yourself at the beach!

They have two pools (one of which has water slides) and two lazy rivers. They are great for kids. One of the lazy rivers is inside and there is also a hot tub. We found the inside lazy river to be a bit on the cold side. Our boys had a blast!!! We spent two mornings going around and around on both the lazy rivers and my 3 yr old was brave enough to do the water slides!

The breakfast food was ok. It was just slightly above the hotels with the free buffets. We selected breakfast when we booked our rooms and kids eat free so we really didn't pay full price. Also, the food at the Square Whale restaurant was convenient and kids eat free there too. I recommend the strawberry
spinach salad.

This hotel is right on the beach.
Just bring your beach stuff and enjoy!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for staying at the hotel, we appreciate your buisness and your kind review. Hope to see you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival can't even pull into property, cars blocking the u shaped driveway. The parking for the hotel is across the street in an auto park. We never saw any security there day or night every time we parked or left. Lobby looked clean. But then on the way to the rooms I started to notice the filth adding up.

Dirty floors on ground level hallways. Dirty windows. The elevators were just nasty. Food and dirt on floor. Smears of food all over buttons and window in elevator. Looks like it had never been wiped down. Was like this the whole time we stayed.

The room was bright and cheery decor. They did an excellent job with decorations. It stops there. There was layers of dust on everything. I am uploading lots of pics so u can see. The granite end tables in living room had drink marks all on it and a circle of clean area in the middle when I moved the lamp. Who wants to put there things on a table with food/drinks still on there? Neither was wiped down. Had so many ring water marks I stopped counting so it had been a while since wiped.

The shower had crud all over floor. It looked as if they only sprayed it down. We bought comet from Walmart and a scouring pad and it came off. I included a pic before we cleaned it. There was crud in the corners of bathroom and dried up fluids on back of bathroom door.

In bedroom dust all over furniture so thick u can write in it. Ac vents had dust built up from not cleaning it regularly. Sliding doors were not cleaned. Someone else's hand marks all over glass, looked like child's hand marks at bottom mixed with food. Outside of glass was covered with dried up water marks. I guess the rain cleans the doors. We bought windex and cleaned it ourselves. Layer of grey dust in corners of room. Fingernail/toenail clipping in corner. Picture will be on here too.

For the price I would expect housekeepers trained in the proper way to clean this hotel. An extra 5 minutes to use the crevice tool would have made a difference. This seems like a management problem, they should be doing checks to make sure housekeepers aren't cutting corners. For $200 plus per night, I don't wanna step on someone else's nails or shower in filth.

The pools were freezing. And the reviews are correct about the indoor pool. Your throat burns, eyes burn after a few minutes. I have been to many indoor pools and have never experienced this before. Maybe they need a better ventilation system. Seems like they don't care.

Location is good, quiet part of beach. Outside looks nice. But for the price if they can't keep it clean I would rather stay somewhere else. I don't need to take home the Norovirus on my vacation...

• Stayed September 2013
Roberto H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
After further research, I see you were guests with the previous Trip Advisor guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your good and bad experiences at our hotel. Let me assure you that our linens are normally not in the condition that you faced and I am going to look into what happened. We send all our linen out daily to a service to clean them and I will follow up with them about some issue you had. I want you to understand that all the linen that goes on the bed is clean but if you saw stains that should never of came back from the laundry and we will follow up.

I hope you will give us a chance again based on your experience to visit the hotel.

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach? Share your experiences!