“Excellent hotel for Group” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #8 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Poconos
“Excellent hotel for Group”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Came here with a large group of families and their high school wrestlers. The facilities were excellent for this type of crowd. Our room was spacious and clean. We had rooms over looking the beach with little balconies. There were inside and outside pools. Both pools were clean, well staffed, plenty of towels, etc. The proximity to the beach was perfect. Couldn't get any closer! Parking could get sketchy with one small garage, but price to pay to be so close to beach. Very good breakfast buffet at the hotel. Not huge selection, but enough to satisfy a range of tastes. Excellent hotel at top of hotel, but not for noisy, unruly kids. There is plenty within striking distance of this hotel, but it is removed enough from the more seedy side of Virginia Beach. Already booked again for next year!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Roberto H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad to see that we met and exceeded your stay while you were here. Our hotel is set up perfect for groups visiting Virginia Beach and look forward to seein you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My family just returned from staying 6/22 - 6/26 and we loved this hotel. We arrived about an hour and a half before the 4:00 check-in and our room was ready. Our 5th floor oceanfront room was clean and has a perfect view of the ocean. You get a small refrigerator and microwave which was great for when we brought back leftovers to snack on later. Just about every staff member was incredibly friendly, going out of their way to help you and always asking how your stay was going. The front desk staff was very helpful at pointing out great places to eat and how to get to them. As far as amenities - my son was thrilled with the pools - the outdoor pool with the waterfalls and small waterslides was our favorite (3 - 4 ft deep). There is also another large outdoor pool next to a patio bar (this pool is deeper), and an indoor lazy river with waterfalls (3 ft), where I could sit in the hot tub and keep an eye on him. We didn't watch the movies at the movie theater, but it looked nice and there were kid movies scheduled throughout each day. We did stop in the Splash Kamp room when we saw the turtles were out one morning. We got to see Tonka and Tink up close and watch them eat. The individual running the camp that morning was very knowledgeable about the turtles, and again more than willing to talk with us and let us look around. We did not leave our son there, but I saw many children there throughout our stay. Other things to know - I do agree with others that the elevators can be very slow. The one by the lobby, rather than further back the hall, seems to be a bit better. And of course, you will hear jet noise, but this never kept us up or woke us up. With the AC running with the fan always on, it was not that loud. This is an excellent hotel with an excellent location at the northern end of the boardwalk and we would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Roberto H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am glad to see your stay was enjoyable and hope you continue to stay with us when you visit Virginina Beach. Your comments will be read during our next employee luncheon so the entire team can enjoy the fact that your stay was great.
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have been staying at the Holiday Inn and Suites for years and I want to personally thank Roberto, the Front Desk Manager for everything that he and his staff do to make sure everyone has a awesome experience while on vacation at this hotel. Everyone is always so nice and friendly. You can certainly tell a 5 star hotel when you walk in. The place is always so clean and the rooms are large and spacious. The King Suite is by far the best room of the hotel. Its very large and has two separate rooms, one with the king bed and bathroom and the other room is the living room and kitchen that is stocked with everything you need. The room has two separate balconies that look out over the pool and beach! The breakfast the hotel serves every morning is top notch and you can have your eggs to order. It's a little pricey, but if your a priority club member its free! The breakfast area gets packed, but the employees in there make sure you are not waiting long and take care of you the entire time your eating breakfast. The waitress we had even remembered what we had to drink every morning and had it placed on our table as we were sitting down. The two outdoor pools are always clean and the best part is you can swim till 11:00pm in the summer months. The pool bar is open till midnight and the bartenders are great! Its a fantastic summer vacation for us do every year and Roberto makes sure its perfect for us! Thank you Roberto!! We hope to see you next year!! Amy and Jessica.

Room Tip: Ask Roberto to help you with your room selection. He will make sure you and your family have the bes...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
That is a great compliment to say we are the best hotel on the beach. That is how each and every one of our employees feel about our hotel and it is nice to see that you felt the same way. I know it takes time to write a review and sign up but I want to thank you as it is our goal to be #1 on Trip Advisor.

We look forward to your next trip to Virginia Beach and hope you will stay with us again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This hotel was great for our vacation!
Pros: the room was very spacious, plenty of room for my family of 5. The staff was friendly and always had great suggestion of places to eat, things to do. Great location! Lots of pools, movie theater.
Cons: elevators were extremely slow, had to wait for 10 min on several occasions. Indoor pool had too strong chemical smell. We had to leave after 15 min bc my daughters eyes started stinging and watering. Housekeeping didn't come to our room one day and the next not till 6. If they aren't going to do housekeeping they should offer an incentive to opt out for that day.
Overall, this was a great place on the beach and we would Definately come back if we are at Virginia Beach.

• Stayed June 2013
Roberto H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasent and kind review about our hotel. Our goal is to satisfy every guest that stays with us and provide a home away from home feeling. It appears we did so with you and hope you will come back and see us in the near future.
Mechanicsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

All of the staff took care of us and even had a wheelchair ready for my Mom if she needed one. The breakfast at the Greenery was delish as well as lunch on the outdoor patio overlooking the pool, boardwalk and the ocean. Dinner at Isle of Capri was wonderful and especially the rack of lamb. The children had fun at in the indoor lazy river and even took in a movie. Thanks to all!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us again and writing such a great review. We want every guest to go home feeling they got their moneys worth. When it comes from a repeat guest, that is even more special to us and makes all of us feel great.

I look forward to seeing you again during your next trip to Virginia Beach.
Peoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel June 12 - 15. We arrived at the hotel but our room was not ready for us just yet. I have to give credit to Joe the Travel Coordinator at the hotel. He spotted us in the lobby and offered me and the kids a tour of the hotel while we waited to pass the time. He also gave us tips on where to eat, shop and how the trolley system worked. He was very helpful and friendly. We were not upset that our room was not ready on time but the hotel still offered us a free in room movie and snacks since we were slightly delayed past the 4pm check in time. We are Priority Club members which is free to sign up for and I would highly recommend doing so before you stay. You get points that you can cash in for gift cards, etc. and since we were a member we were also granted a late check out.

We stayed in a suite with 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa sleeper and 2 balconies with an ocean front view. When you first enter the room it is the living room area. There is a small collage dorm room size fridge, microwave, coffee maker and small sink. There is also a small round table with 4 chairs that you can sit at to eat. The living area has a couch that is also full size sofa sleeper that was actually comfortable to sleep on to my amazement. There is also a dresser in this room with 6 drawers and a desk with a chair. The balcony off of this room has 3 plastic chairs.

There is a door separating this room from the bedroom area. Once in the bedroom there are 2 queen beds, a 6 drawer dresser, a closet, an in wall shelf with 3 deep shelves and the bathroom. The bathroom sink area is quite large. There is only a shower and no tub which was not a huge issue for us since our kids are 7 and 10. I have to be honest though, I know I read a lot of reviews regarding the no tub issue but I would still stay here again even if we had little ones. It would be a bit of a hassle but the rest of the hotel more than makes up for it. The balcony off of this room also has 2 chairs. The view is lovely and I would highly recommend upgrading to the two balcony ocean front suite because the room is huge and well worth the slightly higher cost.

The hotel also has a splash camp area for kids to play in or for parents to leave the kids for a bit of time to themselves. We did not do this but it appeared that many people took advantage of that service. There is also a movie theater that they play kids movies in throughout the day. We also did not do this but we peeked in and it looked very nice.

They have 3 pools. One large one near the lobby, an indoor lazy river and a smaller outdoor one with 2 short tube water slides and another lazy river. We mainly stayed at the indoor pool while we were there. The kids loved it. It was mostly 3 foot deep with one 4 foot deep section. From what I could tell the small outdoor pool was the same depth and the larger outdoor pool appeared to be pretty shallow at one end and then went up to 4 foot at the deeper end. We did try the tube slides a few times and the kids had a blast.

The boardwalk is very nice is is right outside the back of the hotel. We took advantage of the in house Square Whale restaurant. The kids eat free with the purchase of an adult meal. Even if only one adult eats you can have up to 4 kids eat free and it comes with ice cream. I thought the food here was pretty average. Burgers, fries, chicken fingers, etc. The prices are reasonable. The only thing I noticed here was that when we used our credit card the two times we ate there we wrote the exact amount due as the total with no tip on the receipt and then left the tip as cash. When we looked at our statement the price that we were charged was actually about $5 and some change more than what the receipt said. So I'm not exactly sure how that happened but apparently the waiter received an $8 tip from us plus an over $5 additional charge on our card twice for meals that were about $28. So you might want to watch out for that when you eat there or just write the tip on the receipt and not leave cash as a tip. We did not take advantage of the breakfast at (The Greenery??) located inside the hotel but it was the same - kids are free with the purchase of an adult meal. I think the adult breakfast cost was around $12-15.

On our last day we took the trolley to the aquarium. The aquarium was actually better than we had expected and the kids really liked it. It had a cafe inside of it where we ate lunch which was a bit pricey but very convenient. The trolley system was very easy to use. I'm glad Joe gave us the tip about the trolley going past the hotel street and circling around otherwise I would have been worried they missed our hotel. When you want to get off of the trolley at any location you just pull the line near the window signaling a stop. A day pass is $2 per person and as Joe, the travel coordinator, told us is the way to go. Otherwise you have to pay $1 each time you get on a bus and you do need to transfer from one bus to another to get to the aquarium so $4 round trip if you don't get the day pass or $2 for the entire day with the pass. Also make sure to bring $1's because the bus does not take large bills.

The staff were all very friendly. When we found out that we were missing sheets from the sofa sleeper we called the front desk and a staff member had the sheets to us in less than 5 min. We were greeted by the staff each time we saw them. I think this must be a hotel policy because we walked past a training group and they were telling them to greet each guest. We felt very welcomed there and felt the room and the service were well worth the money. We really enjoyed staying at this location and if we were to ever go to Virginia Beach again we would be sure to stay here again.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend upgrading to the two balcony ocean front suite because the room is huge and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay and letting the world know that you were completely satisfied. Reviews good or bad are always reviewed with our entire staff at our monthly luncheons. Reading such nice reviews is an energy boost to our entire staff and gets them excited about the next month.

I hope we see you again in the future. Thank you again for staying with us.
Canton, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed here on June 9 to June 14 with my twin daughters age 4 and a friend who brought her 3 daughters ages 9, 10, and 11. We each stayed in an oceanfront 2 queen suite and we were given rooms right next to each other. I loved the hotel and the amenities. We used all the pools, spent time in the splash camp (loved the turtles Tonka & Tink), ate almost every meal at the hotel. Breakfast at the Greenery and lunch/dinner at the Square Whale. Kids eat free with a paying adult which worked out great for us and saved alot of money. I'm already looking forward to a return trip to the hotel next year. The only complaints I have are the check in/checkout process. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, we were told they would call us when our room was ready but we would be guaranteed our room by 4 PM. I went back up to the check in counter at 4:10 PM and was told my room was ready but we never received a call. There were no luggage carts available, my friend had to follow someone to their room who had a luggage cart to take it when they were done. The elevators are very small, hot and slow. On check out day we waited for an empty elevator for 20 minutes to get our luggage cart on and take it from the 4th floor down to the main floor, that is ridiculous. I had to wait about 10 minutes for the valet to find my keys and get my car but valet is free! Overall this is a very family friendly - fun - nice - clean hotel! Definitely recommend!

Room Tip: The oceanfront 2 queen suite was worth the extra money. It was nice to have a living room and a bed...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about our hotel. Our goal is to satisfy every guest that stays with us and provide a home away from home feeling. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach? Share your experiences!