“Looks good, but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #39 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Herndon, VA
“Looks good, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I recently stayed here for three nights with my husband while he was on a business trip. I wasn't sightseeing - I just wanted to relax and work on some writing & reading in the room - so he picked the hotel on his company's list that appeared to have the most amenities.

On the surface, this seems like a nice enough place to stay. The room décor is classy (if a little worn around the edges), and the bed was firm without being too stiff. The free in-room Wi-Fi worked well. Front desk staff is professional, and housekeeping staff are very personable, always saying "hello" and asking how you are. There's a decent-sized pool and a well-equipped fitness center, plus plenty of meeting/conference rooms for almost any size group. A bar, café, and restaurant can provide most of what you need food-wise, and vending machines provide reasonably-priced snacks and Pepsi drinks. The $10 breakfast buffet has a decent amount of offerings, from eggs to pancakes to cereal to fresh fruit, etc., or you can order items a la carte.

Dig beneath the surface a little, though, and the hotel is only so-so. Soundproofing is a serious issue. There were a couple of loud rugby teams there when we visited, and while we didn't hear much noise between the rooms, it quickly became apparent that you can hear EVERY word that's spoken in the hallways, as well as people shouting outside the hotel at 2 AM. Our room was also incredibly humid, and running the fan and/or the A/C didn't help with that (plus the A/C was way too loud to keep on for an extended period). The small refrigerator never really kept our drinks cold, no matter how high we set it. The buffet has a decent selection of food, but it was kept lukewarm at best, which is frankly a health issue. Only coffee, tea & water come free with the buffet - orange juice costs extra. It took forever for housekeeping to clean our room one day, and when I asked when they were coming by, I was told that they thought we were part of the rugby group, which had requested late housekeeping. We did NOT have the "do not disturb" sign on the door, so they should have checked before making that assumption. They were apologetic, but that episode bothered me, since I was waiting to set up my laptop until they got finished cleaning. Finally, the location isn't within walking distance of anyplace other than some local businesses and maybe two other restaurants (Denny's & Ruby Tuesdays), and the hotel offers no shuttle to take you anywhere else. The most they can do is arrange taxi service. My husband needed our car, and I couldn't go anywhere without paying extra, so essentially I was stuck.

In short, this is a decent place to stay if you're part of a group, only need access to your room at night (as long as no rowdy groups are staying there), and/or have a car to get out during the day. But if you want a place to truly relax, you'd be better off at another location. It's definitely a conference center that caters to groups, NOT a destination hotel. When my husband learned he had to stay an extra day after we'd already checked out, he opted to move us to the nearby SpringHill Suites, where we had a much better experience.

Room Tip: At the restaurant, order breakfast items a la carte for fresher, hotter items.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear CatControlled,

Thank your your comprehensive review regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy to note that you found our staff to be personable but at the same time disappointed to hear that you didn't find some of our amenities to your liking.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for all the troubles you have encountered during your stay. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused to you by the event and for the shortcomings with your room.

Once again many thanks for your feedback. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Prince George, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We went to a convention so we stayed at the hotel, and it was very nice! The room was clean, and the staff were super nice. I hadn't stayed at a Holiday Inn in ages so I didn't know what to expect. I would recommend this hotel! Free wi-fi, decent breakfast buffet, decent workout equipment in the gym. They did well with the convention too.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
West Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Based on reviews that had been posted prior to April, I was not expecting good food at Ashley's Lounge in this Holiday Inn. We had several buffet meals there, and I was impressed by the freshness of the food and the reasonable price during the reunion weekend we spent there. We also ordered off the menu for a final breakfast on Monday and felt very satisfied with the food and the friendly service. It was much more convenient to eat at Ashley's on the reunion weekend than to leave the property in search of food. Each time we left on an errand, there were few parking places to be found when we returned.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Beaufort, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel was very clean and had very friendly and helpful staff. The room we stayed was comfortable for us; it just seemed a little dated. The lobby area was very pretty with the fire going when we arrived. It also looked like they had a nice outside pool. To bad it was snowing out and we couldn't enjoy the pool area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear BrookeChris,

Thank you for your feedback of our hotel. We are glad to know that found our staff helpful. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am deeply sorry that on this day we were not able to meet your expectations especially with the condition of the room you received. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Again, thank you for posting your comments.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We selected this Holiday Inn only because it was the hotel base for a reunion in the Norfolk area. We were pleasantly surprised by the size and comfort of the room, the great shower and some other amenities.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here to be close to the naval base where my nephew is stationed. It's a great location and we had easy access to everywhere we needed to go. The hotel is very nice and clean inside, as are the rooms. We had a king room that included a sleeper sofa. The bed was extremely comfortable and we really appreciated the (labeled) firm pillows. The fridge and microwave was very convenient to have. The hotel was pretty busy as they had 2 large groups in-house, but this was not an issue. The pool and hot tub are decent, but that area is in a little bit of disrepair - the sauna is closed up and not functioning, the non-functioning water fountain has some junk sitting on top of it, and there seems to be an issue with stocking towels for the pool (though this may have been a result of the 2 large groups.) All in all, I would recommend staying here. It's a very comfortable hotel at a good value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My recent stay was a much better one than previous stays at other Holiday Inns, mainly due to the staff. I was there on business and the meeting rooms were excellent. First class all the way! The lobby was great, as was the indoor pool & jacuzzi. I had a first floor room, and being a smoker, having a sliding door to outside was a definite plus. I just wish the lock worked. There was a security bar though, so no big issue. The room was great and my faith in Holiday Inn has been restored. I can not speak as highly of Ashley's Bistro. Because of the large number of people involved with the event I attended, they chose to go with a buffet only for the weekend. It left a little to be desired. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that great either. The selection was rather poor, and cold. I gave them 3 chances, then started going elsewhere. All in all, a great stay with a fantastic staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk? Share your experiences!