“Good choice for value hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #37 of 114 hotels in Virginia Beach
Washington, DC
“Good choice for value hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here to be close to the naval base where my nephew is stationed. It's a great location and we had easy access to everywhere we needed to go. The hotel is very nice and clean inside, as are the rooms. We had a king room that included a sleeper sofa. The bed was extremely comfortable and we really appreciated the (labeled) firm pillows. The fridge and microwave was very convenient to have. The hotel was pretty busy as they had 2 large groups in-house, but this was not an issue. The pool and hot tub are decent, but that area is in a little bit of disrepair - the sauna is closed up and not functioning, the non-functioning water fountain has some junk sitting on top of it, and there seems to be an issue with stocking towels for the pool (though this may have been a result of the 2 large groups.) All in all, I would recommend staying here. It's a very comfortable hotel at a good value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My recent stay was a much better one than previous stays at other Holiday Inns, mainly due to the staff. I was there on business and the meeting rooms were excellent. First class all the way! The lobby was great, as was the indoor pool & jacuzzi. I had a first floor room, and being a smoker, having a sliding door to outside was a definite plus. I just wish the lock worked. There was a security bar though, so no big issue. The room was great and my faith in Holiday Inn has been restored. I can not speak as highly of Ashley's Bistro. Because of the large number of people involved with the event I attended, they chose to go with a buffet only for the weekend. It left a little to be desired. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that great either. The selection was rather poor, and cold. I gave them 3 chances, then started going elsewhere. All in all, a great stay with a fantastic staff.

Pittsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Norfolk for just one night, sadly, but I would have much enjoyed staying longer.

The bathroom was sparkling and the bed was crisp and clean. The shower stall was lined with stone and the water pressure was great. The towels were soft and plentiful. My room overlooked the lobby from the fifth floor, which was a nice view and made for a very restful stay. With no external walls, it was quiet as could be. No traffic, street noise, or even airplanes overhead.

The room had a fridge and microwave, as well as a comfortable chair in the sitting area and a nice desk to work at. The bed was vast, and the air conditioner was surprisingly quiet (always a pet peeve of mine when the A/C in a "luxury" hotel sounds like a car running beside your bed).

I needed to print something out, which would have been fine to use their well appointed business center, except it was 158 pages and the desk manager politely said that was a little large, which I agreed to. I asked her where a nearby Kinko's was, and she printed me a google map to the place by the time I came downstairs. Very helpful and attentive. I was impressed.

The attached restaurant, where I had breakfast, was just as nice. The food was delicious, made to order, and very reasonably priced.

I checked out early as my trip ended sooner than I had thought, but I would have been happy to stay a lot longer.

DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We visit family in the Virginia Beach area every year at Easter Break. For years we all went to buffet that everyone loved and sadly it closed. This year we decided to try Ashley's Bistro at the Holiday Inn. What a wonderful choice--from the reservation to the meal--service was fantastic. Been a long time since we have seen service like this! The decor is upscale and nice, the food was delicious and a wide variety including brunch, and the cost was very reasonable. I truly hope that Ashley's Bistro will continue with the Easter Brunch tradition, as we will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

When they announced the makeover of the Holiday Inns I really didn't notice a heck of a lot of difference at first. Finally an establishment that has done it all. This is a nice hotel by anyone's standards. It looks good. Great looking public rooms and atrium lobby. Rooms are immaculate. Staff is attentive and friendly, much better trained than the run-of-the-mill establishment. Management is on-site and attentive. Wow! Nice looking restaurant, lobby bar etc. Food is OK, not spectacular, but nicely served and plated. Economical pricing may keep it from being better than it is. A happy hour with hors d'oeurvres was fun, and management was in attendence. It is a good and well run hostelry. For a Holiday in it was a definite WoW!

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only complaint I have is if you stay in a room above the check-in area, you can hear all of the conversations, which is not good when you are trying to sleep. It is best to get a room away from the front entrance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Herndon, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The building is so clean, and the lobby is simply beautiful. We were there for an event that took place in one of the conference rooms. The day staff was extremely nice and accommodating, as well. I could only imagine how nice the rooms are.

That evening, however, after the event was over, I saw an altercation that was quite disturbing. One of the staff members, who said he was one of the managers, Montrell, was arguing loudly with someone who attended the event. We couldn't hear exactly what the argument was about, but we did hear Montrell say that he was the manager, and that the guys he was arguing with could call his management and report him if they like. He seemed like the aggressor, because the gentlemen he was arguing with, were not approaching him. He was approaching them, and even told them, they could meet him outside if they like. Mind you, this was in a room full of children. Very unprofessional and very disturbing. I hope he was reported!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear iTravel1982,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We are pleased you liked our clean and beautiful building and lobby. However, we greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk? Share your experiences!