“Wedding Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
Amsterdam
“Wedding Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed overnight at this Holiday Inn, ocean view/pool view room with double queen beds. Beds were comfortable. I'd heard the Inn had been remodeled, and it showed. The room was very nicely appointed, with a nice balcony to watch the waves break and folks walking and biking. All staff members were pleasant and out-going. Stayed here for a family wedding, and the ceremony room (6th floor), the coctail space and reception hall on first floor were all very nice. Everything was clean and up to date. Other family members had the same opinion. Only complaint...just one bar of soap in the bathroom. I'd stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Hampshire, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I came to Virginia Beach to celebrate my 3 year anniversary with my boyfriend, as well as my birthday. My family also lives there, so I got to see them after years! It was awesome. The hotel was lovely! The lobby was really nice. I stayed in one of the king suites. I would definitely recommend staying in it. It's spacious and gorgeous! You will not be let down. The room was extremely clean. As soon as I walked in our room, my jaw drop. I was not expecting it to be that nice for such an affordable price, especially with the promotions available. Yes, it was like a 10 minute drive from the ocean, but it was well worth it. Didn't get a chance to check out the restaurants or pool because my boyfriend's in the Marines and we only had the weekend to see each other, so we were trying to do as many things as we could, especially since it was my first time being in Virginia Beach ever since I was a baby. I am definitely going to stay here again when I come back to Virginia Beach, which I definitely will. The service was amazing. My room was ready a few hours before even! Checked me in within a few minutes. Very friendly staff. I couldn't find my toothbrush or toothpaste, and they gave me some right away! I would definitely recommend going to a restaurant on the ocean or bay. That was one of the best weekends ever. Wish I could replay it over and over again. I think my boyfriend took some pictures; not sure if he still has them because he got a new phone a couple of months ago. If he does have them, I will definitely post them.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Petersburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

When you walk in this hotel, it has a beautiful lobby but the entire hotel is beautiful and large. The drinks we were ordering from the bar was top shelf liquor & my husband didn't have to keep asking for top shelf either. The food at their Ashleys restaurant was good. They have a outside and inside pool which came in handy because it rain the weekend we were there but the kids still had fun at the inside pool. The staff were knowledgeable and polite. We had our meet & greet party in one of the hospitalality rooms and they gave us a small refrigerator to use, big cooler of free ice and a microwave to use. Beds comfortable, very nice room decor, they are an environmental go green hotel & have up to date exercise equipment. Long story short.... entire family enjoyed the weekend and we will always keep this hotel on our list to use again if we have our family reunion or just visiting in the Virginia Beach area.

Room Tip: If you need a handicap accessible room call the hotel so your request can be made directly with a st...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed here over Labor Day because most of the hotels at Virginia Beach were booked and the ones that weren't were overpriced. At this hotel I paid an average of 170 a night which I thought was too much too but it was a holiday weekend. Nice hotel, beautiful modern bar with 3 tvs to watch sports. I liked how the bar was open to the hotel's large lobby. The bartenders were wonderful. Used room service one night which I would rate very high, speedy service and the crabcakes were surprisingly good. Rooms were nice, housekeeping does a good job but the rooms are small. Could hear some noise from the upstairs room and hallway but it was not bad. Downsides are that the hotel is very busy, it is hard to find a parking spot and many events are going on all the time. The busy atmosphere was not in line with a relaxing beach vacation. Also, the hotel is a 15 mile drive to the beach but the drive is beautiful and didn't bother us. Hotel staff was great including the front desk. There was a nice young woman there that was very helpful when we checked in and smelled cigarette smoke in our room. She moved us quickly and was very pleasant about it. One last thing. I read on another review before I came that the first floor rooms opened onto the pool. I asked for one because of the review and was glad I did! I never used the pool but also never had to use the one elevator. Would recommend.

Room Tip: First floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lexington Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

This was a nice hotel, a little far from the beach but there was a very nice restaurant an bar attached so you didn't have to go far! Has both indoor and outdoor hotel. Close to a ton of other restaurants and not what you would expect with a Holiday Inn!

• Stayed September 2012
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here for one night in late August as we could not find a hotel closer to the beach for a one night stay. The room itself was ok, fairly clean, but the hotel only had one elevator working and the stairwells were beyond disgusting to use. The fitness room was a joke - very small with probably only 3 pieces of equipment that were pretty worn out. Most holiday inns seem to serve complimentary breakfast these days too, which this one does not. For the price we paid, this place was not worth it and we stayed at a Hampton Inn in Asheville the next time that was WAY better for about 2/3rd the price! I probably would not stay here again if I had other options.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Upnorth Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Good Things: Housekeeping staff and bartenders are great! Facility is adequate, but very busy for a relaxing trip. The outdoor pool was pleasant. The taxi guys are fantastic.
Negative Things: (1) I booked 2 rooms; one for my husband and I, and one for my friends family through the toll-free number. I gave the reservation person my credit card # and my friends #. However, when we checked in, I was charged the entire amount a total of 8 nights x 2 rooms. Good thing I have a large credit amount! The manager was able to credit my account, but they proceeded to charge my friends debit account twice! Of course, there were overdraft fees for her which the manager did fix. (2)The restaurant's quality needs to be addressed. The breakfast buffet food is not hot. When ordering off the menu, the service is slow. The potatoes tasted reheated and old. (3)When we did order at the Blu Bar, the food was fine, but the bartenders should not have to leave their station to go pick up the food. (4) Even though you may hold your rooms door, it slams shut disturbing others. (5) Need additional handicap parking. (6) Even though I smoke, the hotel does not accomodate. I feel that the non-smokers should not have to walk through any smoke to access the lobby. There is only 1 bench outside and it needs to be moved and more added.
Finally - they have a wonderful outdoor pool that needs new umbrellas. Out of the 5, 3 were broke and cheap. The pool/lawn guys need to clean the area better; and not when guests are trying to enjoy a peaceful morning.
In conclusion, note that this is a very busy and large hotel with a conference center.

Room Tip: If you prefer a particular room, make sure you request it again and again. There are no guarentee yo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear nancy l,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I am delighted you liked our housekeeping staff services and hotel facilities. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced with the services received at our restaurant and bar, noise from our other guests, parking facility and unusual smell. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care

Been to Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk? Share your experiences!