“Its an ok place for a short trip.....” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Ocean Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1101 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451-3503   |
Ranked #100 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
pittsburgh, pa
“Its an ok place for a short trip.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Atlantic sands Hotel this past weekend, for three nights. My first impression of this hotel was not the best; the lobby was very dated and could have used some fresh paint and a good cleaning. The employees were friendly, but also did not give off the best first impressions, dressed in very casual blue t-shirts no one looked put together well.... The hallways and elevators were dirty. They looked like they maybe vacumed and cleaned them MAYBE, once a month. The rooms were Ok, cleaner than the rest of the hotel. There was a little mold in the bathroom, but tolerable. The view from the balcony was amazing. Luckily we spent most of our time away from the hotel. The parking lot was located just across the street, which an employee keep watch on which was nice. Like I said though we tolerated it for the very short amount of time that we spent there. We would have never lasted any longer. We did not let it ruin our time there, but I would not stay there again.

• Liked — The only thing I liked was the location and view from the balcony
  • Disliked — very dirty and
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Frederick, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

My daughter and I stayed here 18-20 July 2008. The bottom line is that to pay $439 for two nights in a hotel that is filthy and in serious disrepair is outrageous. We will not stay here again and do not recommend it. If I had not prepaid in advance, we would have left to find a suitable hotel.

The only positive thing we can say is that most of the staff was friendly. When we checked in one elevator was broken; overall both elevators were very slow so we used the stairs to and from our 5th floor room. The women's restroom downstairs was also broken the entire time we were there.

Our room was okay as long as one did not look too far but there was a wet spot in the middle. We tried to use the stairs on our end of the building only to get to the bottom floor and find the door locked; we also could not use the emergency exit because the door to the outside was basically rusted partially open but unmovable. I believe these are fire and safety code violations. The lock on our balcony door was difficult to maneuver. There was no safety latch on our door to prevent anyone with a master key from entering while we were in the room. In fact, we had been in our room for about 20 minutes when two men entered without knocking, telling us that they had been told the room was vacant. Fortunately everything within the room worked; however, some power outlets were loose, and the wallpaper, caulk, and other items were peeling or falling off/apart.

Ours, as most of the ocean view rooms, also had a view of the roof and construction site, which was next to our room. Although the a/c in our room worked well, anyplace outside the room was stifling hot. The entire hotel was filthy, even after the cleaning personnel went through it. We hung out our do not disturb sign to keep the cleaning personnel out of our room, and others, because we did not feel comfortable with those personnel entering our room.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — hotel's condition and location
  • Stayed July 2008
richmond
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

The hotel needs to be updated and cleaned. Also, they are building a new hotel next door. Our first day and last day we could hear construction noise @ 7:00 am. I would not stay here again!

• Stayed July 2008
McLeansville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

This was my first time in Virginia Beach. The Beach was beautiful! Nothing like Myrtle. The sand and water was so clean. A truck comes and scrapes the sand every morning to smooth it out. I really enjoyed my time there and WILL go back again.

Now, about the hotel. My comment is the way it is because I feel that opionions are subjective. What might me bad for me may be good for you. I hate to hear people say, "This hotel is terrible because all of the King rooms are on the first floor...". that may be perfect for someone else.

We reserved a 2 Queen room, but due to us arriving really late that night, they had to give us a King room with a Queen sleeper sofa. That was fine for us. They even took $10 off the nightly rate. We were so excited about being there, that we dropped off our bags, and went down to the beach and walked around until abour 2 am. Well, when we finally decided to go to bed, we pulled out the sleep sofa to find out that there was not a mattress on it. We called to the front desk and due to it being so late they had no room service to help us. All they could do was change our room. So we had to pack up an move. The good thing was they were full and had to give us a suite. Our sliding glass door opned out to the pool. I though that was great. I could sit on the couch and watch my nephew play in the pool. The only thing that i didn't like was the view of the beach was not all that great now. The room size was much bigger. there was a little stinch in there, but we brought some Oust and took care of that. The furniture and decorations really need upgrading, but everything was in working order and clean...the carpet was a little dirty...

The Pool: The pool was clean...in the morning. By the time the evening came it was full of sand. They have a really nice shower in front of the hotel on the boardwalk to clean off when coming up from the beach. Most people just don't take the time to do so.

There is an oceanfront deck and resturant attached to the hotel. They had a great early bird breakfast special from 7am to 8am for 3.95. It was really good and convenient. You get eggs, bacon or sausage, toast, and hasbrowns (really good).

Now for the could be good or bad. They have a live band that plays EVERY night. Being right there by the pool and deck allowed you to hear it all night. They normally stop around 11 or 12. A lot of people gather there and drink and get pretty loud during the concert. It got on my nerves after a while. BUT...if you like that kind of thing. It would be perfect.

We were very close to just about everything...the pier, aquarium, shop, resturants, icecream (Great little shop across the street and to the left of the hotel).

My suggestions are they Atlantic Sands do some upgrading. Other than that, it was ok. No bells and whistles at all. GREAT location and wonderful beach access. I would stay there again but may not be my first choice. I'd rather spend an extra $50 a night and get something more up to date.

The staff were very nice and very helpful. Kind of a young little group of people, but helped us with what we needed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Quality of Rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Germantown, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

I booked the room in May. The oceanfront room we found here (all rooms are oceanfront) was available for the July 4th weekend when my more preferred hotel choices were already booked up. So we took a chance. It was horrible. Stay away! Our worst hotel experience ever. Literally a flea bag! We were told our room was ready and we lugged everything up there on the non-air conditioned heat box called an elevator, and it wasn't ready. Had ants and flying bugs in our room once it was. Hallways are not cleaned and not air conditioned. A/C in the room was excessively loud. Balcony was dirty. We didn't use the couch because it was broken down and the upholestry "felt" dirty, and I feared sitting in it. Discovered the first night that the bed blanket smelled of body odor! Sliding door was filthy and greasy. Maid only changed the towels and made the bed on the 1st day. Second day only changed towels. Never cleaned the sink or living area. And three times over 4 nights I found hairs in the supposedly clean towels. EEEWWWW! Lobby floor stayed filthy. I could go on. Don't stay at the Atlantic Sands .

• Liked — location, room type
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
manchester ct
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

The price and the view from this hotel were probrably the only good things about this hotel. When we arrived the lobby looked average. once we got on the elevator i noticed it was dirty it had gum on the carpet. once we arrived at our room we noticed a whole on the wall behind the door. bathroom looked ok until i pulled the shower curtain and noticed there was a slow leak from the room above us so there was little parts os the ceiling on the tub(which worried me because i had toddler with me). the view was excellent but i think is just because the beach looks great from anywhere. there was no internet connection. the wall paper was falling off from one wall. there were lot of fruit flies around the room. room service and receptionist were average but not the greatest.this hotel would have been ok if the stay was for 1-2 nights but me, my husband and my daughter were there for 1week and it was not what we had expected.this was are third year coming to va beach and by far the worst hotel we stood in. if not for the cheap price and woderful viem we probrably would have checked out sooner. but i guess is true what they say you get what you pay for.

• Liked — affordable/great ocean view
  • Disliked — cleanliness/room apperance
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fayetteville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

My husband and i have travelled to VA beach for the past 10yrs, we made a decision to check out of our regular hotel and check into the Atlantic Sands, What a mistake. We are Sr citizens and enjoy space and a certain level of cleanliness, this place scored a ZERO on all accouts. We checked into a not so appealing lobby, old, out dated, ran by people who acted like they would rather be doing something else. Our room was small, the view was part airconditioning unit and beach, it was horrible!! the first night we did not get room service, they completed forgot to clean our room. My husband went down to request service, we waited for another half-hour, we called down to the front desk, we again waited for another half-hour. Someone finally came only to blame someone else for the mishap! we did get clean towels. Upon check-out the clerk would not honor our AAA, saying that we did notmention it at check-in. They made no concessions, they were not too enthusiastic about customer service. This was the worst vacation in the past decade!! this location was fine, however, the hotel itself is old,cruddy and DIRTY!! go someplace else

Disgusted Seniors

• Liked — on the ocean
  • Disliked — condition of the hotel and the staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grand Ocean Hotel? Share your experiences!