“Run as FAST as you can!” 1 of 5 stars

Grand Ocean Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1101 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451-3503   |
Ranked #100 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Hyattsville, Maryland
“Run as FAST as you can!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The dirty lobby upon check in should have been a sign. Or maybe the man staring in my window in my "upgraded" room on the "pool"! Nonetheless, I asked for a room on a higher floor. The view was the only thing this place had going for it. The beds are old and uncomfortable. Slept like pull-out sofas. Still I thought I could deal with it for only a few nights. This was just the beginning. The water pressure in the shower was practically nonexistent. I attempted to wash my hands in the bathroom sink and the entire handle came off in my hand. Yet, it gets worst... A relative was staying in the room next door and she called me screaming about the extras staying in her room that she had not invited. Yup, you guessed it… ROACHES! Ordinarily, we would have checked out immediately but we could not find any other rooms at this point, yes we checked other hotels. Everything was booked unless we wanted to stay in Norfolk. Also, the hotel had already charged us for our stay. Upon the first sighting, her son killed it and hoped it would be an isolated incident. The next occurrence was when she felt a tickle on her leg and swatted something off of her. There it was lying on the floor on its back. This was the last straw. After going back and inspecting my room, I noticed several that had once crawled up the walls but had been killed. Everyone slept fully clothed on top of the covers and we never unpacked anything. After her teenage son killed a couple, we called to complain. Upon complaining they promised to send someone up. When they came up they came to her room and offered to give her another room in the hotel she declined as we were checking out that day. The guy who came said he would just have to set off another bomb! Yes, another bomb! We were never able to find the manager to resolve anything; only a couple young girls who probably are not old enough to work without a permit at the front desk. For the price we paid for oceanfront, $200.00 pr night, we were not expecting the best but we did at least expect the place to be sanitary. The description includes a 24 hour business center which is a desk in the lobby with one computer that does not work, free valet parking with a valet that was never there so he allowed us to leave our vehicle in front of the hotel overnight, free continental breakfast which is one coffee maker right next to the business center, and a restaurant on the premises. What they did not tell is that the restaurant, the Calypso, is NOT affiliated with the hotel in any way. PLEASE DO NOT STAY at this hotel. Pay extra to stay someplace nice or at least clean. The view and the Calypso are the only plus and I had plenty of time to get used to both the view and the Calypso… They were the cleanest places there and where we spent most of our time! Consider yourself warned!

Room Tip: Find someplace else to stay! Honestly!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is my third visit to this hotel, and every time i have visited this place i had great time, every year the management put efforts to make this place better, i don't know thy they have bad reviews, my visit was more perfect than last time, same staff very courteous ready to help for anything, clean rooms, now new elevators cabins , everything was more better than last visit, it is becoming more grand and grand, restaurant which is not part of hotel is also getting better , now new game room for kids ,the weather became bad and we enjoyed at restaurant and kids had great time at game room, please dont go on the bad reviews it is not bad as reviewed, this time i talked to general manager about their reviews and he told me that we sell twenty thousand rooms a year and we have few reviews are which are bad, he said this is not Hilton, but people expect Hilton standards and get disappointed and write reviews, even some reviews are not genuine also , in summer typically oceanfront rooms rate are high and people compare this rates with Hilton or sheraton , and get disappointed, we always try to make the guest happy and make their vacation wonderful , but still we get bad reviews .
I will go again to this place and also recommend this hotel as better place to stay on oceanfront

Room Tip: Rooms on North side are better views
Rockville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

the hotel room was very dirty, no tissue in room at all. Shower head water were running slow. Clothes rack was broken. For 179/nite, it's way overcharge, only acception is the location, right off ocean.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed from 8/3/12 to 8/6/12 and was very disappointed in the room..."ocean view" was blocked by a cement wall with bars above it (room was on 1st floor); patio door didn't have a lock, only a flimsy security bar-being on first floor, anyone from the Boardwalk had access to our patio-not a secure feeling at all; woke up every morning to some sort of trash on the patio; plaster falling off the wall near air conditioning unit; cob webs in the corners near ceiling; toliet didn't want to flush several times; saw 2 cock roaches on 2 different days. Swimming pool is very small; no parking at the hotel; hallways were not air conditioned; ice machines on at least 2 floor were practically falling apart. When I provided feedback to front desk manager regarding my disappointment in our room and the hotel in general, I was met with defensive behavior; had no feeling they cared at all whether or I was happy or not. I did not expect to stay for free but did ask if they would be willing to remove at least 1 night from my bill and they wouldn't even consider it. Will never return to this hotel and discourage anyone I hear of going to Virginia Beach to not stay at this hotel.

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

The front desk staff are young, inexperienced, unfriendly, and not helpful at all. The halls and elevators were dirty and not even vacuumed the 2 nights we stayed.
The room was below average... we felt compelled to check for bed bugs.
Sure, it's oceanfront, but for very few dollars more I highly recommend you stay elsewhere.
They advertise "valet parking". There is NO valet parking, unless you consider yourself the valet.
To top it off, our vehicle was keyed in the parking lot right in front of the hotel!
This isn't a rant because our car got keyed... our insurance covered the repair. This is just an honest review of the not-so 'Grand Ocean Hotel'.
We will never stay here again due to the lack of cleanliness and the staff is just rediculous.
A million dollar hotel staffed by kids, and not kept up. What a shame.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Northfork wv
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is the worst place to stay!!Slow or broke elevators!! When we arrived we noticed a very strong chemical smell but dismissed it. I decided to take a shower and when I got into the shower I got white paint all over my feet. Found the source of the smell and the water pressure is terrible! WiFi does not work in room, had to go into the hall. Fridge did not work! My son dropped a chip in the floor and it was completely covered in ants within minutes. We had a bike rack on our truck and it was stolen off the truck in the parking lot that you have to park in!!The Manager was rude and refused to help and when I wanted to check out early she would not give me a refund! Very rude staff!!!! Save yourself the trouble---do not stay here!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Millville, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Let me start off by saying I normally would never take the time to do these type of reviews but i figured i might as well add my 2 cents!

My girlfriend and I booked this hotel because it was one of the few hotels on the "cheaper" side in terms of pricing... We read most of the reviews, some horrible, some decent, and figured we would give it a shot seeing as very little of our vacation would be spent in the hotel anyway. When we booked the hotel weeks in advanced, we called the front lobby asking them about their "early check-in policy", which they confirmed would not be a problem, we'd just have to pay an extra $25 fee. Needless to say we drove over 10 hours from Boston, Mass, arriving in Va Beach around noon only to be shot down and told we could not check in untill 4pm because of shortage of Housekeeping staff.

Not being able to check in was a real bummer, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was the extreme lack of customer service by the young lady at the front desk. She had absolutely zero sympathy that we had no where to go for almost 4 hours and was extremely rude and attempted to ignore us on numerous occasions. When we requested to speak to a manager we were told that there was no managers on duty because it was Sunday and they don't work Sundays. (keep in mind this a family run hotel). So basically the hotel was being ran solely by the young lady at the front desk who could have been no more than 20 years old who clearly demonstrated her lack of customer service skills.. or any skills for that matter.

The Valet parking isn't really valet parking. All you're doing is giving your key to a kid sitting on the bench in front of the hotel who'll park your car for you a couple blocks away out off site if you ask him too. On the flip side he was a lot more friendlier. The Valet parking has no affiliation with the hotel at all.

We thought about looking at other hotels after we tried to check in but figured it was a lost cause seeing as we The Grand Ocean already took out the first night stay weeks in advance. We just hung out on the beach until check in time. Other than the extremely rude customer service the hotel wasn't too bad. The rooms were clean as well as the bathrooms. The first floor lobby did have a weird musky foreign smell to it and was a little dingy. Same goes for the elevators.

Overall it was an "Okay" hotel... we wanted to save money and went a little cheap, pratically getting what we paid for

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Ocean Hotel? Share your experiences!