“Noisy - staff indifferent to loud noise in hallways in middle of night” 1 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #45 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manassas, VA
“Noisy - staff indifferent to loud noise in hallways in middle of night”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

I stayed here and while the rooms are nice, the staff could care less about a huge group of teenage kids staying there the week I was there. One night I called the front desk at 12:30 AM to report that the kids were running up and down the hall, banging on each other's doors, screaming, etc. First of all, I could not get the front desk to even answer the phone while letting it ring up to 30 times. On the 4th call, I got someone to answer, and they said that yes, there is a large group of unchaperoned teenage kids staying there, and there is nothing that they can do about it!! Finally, at 2:30 AM in the morning I called again, and someone else answered, said they had gotten some complaints and "security was on their way". Well, 30 minutes later (3 AM) security showed up, and told them to be quiet.

The next morning, I checked out early, after finding another hotel - and at the front desk they gave me an argument - saying "what do you expect in the summer at the beach"? I was here on business, adn this hotel is not at the beach anyway, it is a mile from it. You come to a hotel to sleep, but this place seems to think that doesn't matter. I have written a letter to Hilton to complain about this place and their staff who seems to care less about the individual traveler, then making sure they are getting revenue from large groups of travelers. For one thing, in the room across from me, I could see at least 6 people were staying in it, which would seem to be overcrowding.

If you want to sleep, stay away from here in the summer. Security - if they actually walked the halls, would have observed the zoo that was going on starting at midnight and continuing until 2:30 AM in the morning, when the front desk sort of brushed it off as nothing that they could do about it.

• Stayed August 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Lehigh Valley, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

After booking a room at the Clarion in Va beach, we walked into the room and just couldn't bear the smoke smell. We contacted American Express, the travel agent couldn't find us a last minute hotel on the water but suggested the Doubletree. I'm glad he did. We were a little bummed by not being on the ocean, but the Doubletree does target the convention center customers instead of beachgoers... but that's ok. We could see the difference in the staff from the Clarion when we arrived at the Doubletree. The staff at the Doubletree was friendly, warm and actually saved us money! We were going to spend $300 per night at the Clarion. We spent $95 per night, and for that price difference, I don't mind driving the 1 mile to the beach and pay $5 to park. There is a shuttle available but we chose to drive ourselves. The rooms were just recently removated and were clean, sheets were great and high quality. We are so glad we made the move, the staff really helped make our experience in VA beach a good one. The value was great! The downstairs cafe was ok, they need to get a bit more organized but it seved its purpose. The staff even called after we checked in to make sure we were ok! Internet access works well!

• Liked — Staff was nice, it was an all around decent place, they're making it nicer every day.
  • Disliked — Not their fault, just wish it was a bit closer to the beach. But it is right next to the convention center!
  • Tips/Secrets — Take this reveiw seriously, some of the things I read could not have happened here. The security person was always around, we felt safe.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

After reading most of the reviews, I went into the Doubletree expecting to have feces flung at me by the staff and sleep on a bed of nails. But it was great! My girlfriend and I went spent the weekend there (my first visit to Va Beach). The staff was friendly, the room was clean and appeared to be newly renovated. The view was of the parking lot, but we got it off Priceline, so this was to be expected. The water in the shower was piping hot after only a few seconds of running it. It's not that close to the actual beach, but no more than a fifteen minute walk. The shuttle to the beach ran every half hour, though sometimes it ran a little late, and once it left a little early. But it's a nice walk, past the convention center, and seemed safe enough.

The only issue was that the pool was closed on Friday and Saturday (pool inspection on Friday and wedding reception on Saturday). But it was such a small pool, that we weren't all that disappointed. Plus, the front desk receptionist offered to call the Marriott on Va Beach and arrange for us to use their pool after we were done on the beach. Now that's friendly service!

And last but not least, the cookies were amazing.

Granted, I went with very low expectations (thanks to all the nightmarish accounts on this site), so it wouldn't take much to make me happy. But both my girlfriend and I left with positive impressions of the hotel, staff, and surrounding area.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

My husband & I stayed at the Doubletree with our 8-month old infant the weekend of June 23rd. I'll admit I was terrified.... I'd read the reviews only after I'd blindly booked the hotel through a discount travel website. I always read others' reviews, but have never written one until now. I felt compelled to because the bad reviews are not deserved.

We were satisfied with the Doubletree and felt it met our expectations of a 3-star hotel. We'd definitely stay again based on our experience.

Since I phoned the hotel in advance, they were very accomodating regarding the baby (non-smoking room, refrigerator already in place, advised to bring own portable play pen since they were in high demand). After a late night drive, we were welcomed with warm cookies and a very friendly and helpful front-desk staff. The bed was EXTREMELY comfortable and had "good" linens, which is important to me. I also had to make a late-night run for medicaton during our stay, and again the night staff at the front desk (especially John) was very helpful. The room was always cleaned to our satisfaction and we were not disturbed unnecessarily. The hotel was about an 8 minute drive to the beach, and we actually preferred not staying right in the midst of all that noise and confusion.

I can only comment on the room & general appearance of the lobby area, because we spent most of our time at the beach/sightseeing, so did not use the hotel's amenities (restaurant, etc.).

Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

In 32 years of traveling I've never stayed at a worst hotel, not even one that costs $10/night. We had over 20 rooms spread out among family and friends. There were no phones in some of the rooms, no hot water in most for first 3 days there, keys that had to be replaced sometimes as many as 4-5 times per day, and the front desk kept giving out keys to occupied rooms as if they were empty. One family friend walked in on a couple having sex on the bed and another walked in on some poor woman naked in the shower. We were told our reservations were not there, people were left all night in the lobby trying to resolve reservation issues. This was, without a doubt, the worst travel experience in all my life and it was all due to the Doubletree and a management staff that simply did not care what happened. The things that happened and the volume and frequency told me they were simply not having a bad day; this was, plain and simple, a very, very bad hotel and the most poorly run business I've ever dealt with in all my years in business.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

Before going to stay at the Doubletree in VA Beach, I read countless reviews on how bad it was. I am now wondering if the bad reviews were from people who really stayed there or if they were from competitors trying to snatch business away from a hotel that had cheaper rates. It is true they are undergoing renovations, which are now almost done, so I am sure some guests had unfortunate incidents during their stays. It is just a fact of life...some people are lucky and some are not. I can honestly say I did not experience one bad incident during my 4 night stay. At a price of $91 a night, one could not ask for better accomidations at such a reasonable price. I did not have a single problem with the friendly staff, I always had a clean room, hot water etc... So the beach isn't right outside the door, is it really too much (if one doesn't want to take the shuttle from the hotel that runs every half hour) of a hassle to drive to the end of the street (about 8 blocks) and pay $5 on weekdays or $7 on weekends to park all day in the city lot?? So a room might not stand up to a military "white glove" inspection of cleanliness, the rooms are affordable, clean and comfortable. The whole point of being at Virginia Beach in the summer is to be AT the beach not in the hotel room. The Doubletree is not some sort of luxury spa/resort where guest are expecting the hotel to pamper them and be the center of their travel. The Doubletree is a more than adaquate hotel at a very affordable price in a very fun location. Get out and enjoy the beach with the money you save on the hotel room, yet one will be able to relax at the end of a busy day in a comfortable hotel.

Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

I booked a two night stay at this hotel on Priceline and then read many of the posted reviews. To be honest, I was expecting to be disappointed, but I'm happy to report otherwise. All of the guest rooms have now been remodled, so you can't get an "old" room anymore. The check in staff and housekeeping could not have been nicer and the room was immaculate. Bear in mind that this is more of a convention/business hotel than a resort - yes, they have a pool, tennis courts, etc., but it's not a beach hotel. And a car is highly recommended. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed June 2006

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach? Share your experiences!