“Suprisingly pleased......contrary to reviews!” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #49 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Suprisingly pleased......contrary to reviews!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

My husband & I stayed at the Doubletree with our 8-month old infant the weekend of June 23rd. I'll admit I was terrified.... I'd read the reviews only after I'd blindly booked the hotel through a discount travel website. I always read others' reviews, but have never written one until now. I felt compelled to because the bad reviews are not deserved.

We were satisfied with the Doubletree and felt it met our expectations of a 3-star hotel. We'd definitely stay again based on our experience.

Since I phoned the hotel in advance, they were very accomodating regarding the baby (non-smoking room, refrigerator already in place, advised to bring own portable play pen since they were in high demand). After a late night drive, we were welcomed with warm cookies and a very friendly and helpful front-desk staff. The bed was EXTREMELY comfortable and had "good" linens, which is important to me. I also had to make a late-night run for medicaton during our stay, and again the night staff at the front desk (especially John) was very helpful. The room was always cleaned to our satisfaction and we were not disturbed unnecessarily. The hotel was about an 8 minute drive to the beach, and we actually preferred not staying right in the midst of all that noise and confusion.

I can only comment on the room & general appearance of the lobby area, because we spent most of our time at the beach/sightseeing, so did not use the hotel's amenities (restaurant, etc.).

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

In 32 years of traveling I've never stayed at a worst hotel, not even one that costs $10/night. We had over 20 rooms spread out among family and friends. There were no phones in some of the rooms, no hot water in most for first 3 days there, keys that had to be replaced sometimes as many as 4-5 times per day, and the front desk kept giving out keys to occupied rooms as if they were empty. One family friend walked in on a couple having sex on the bed and another walked in on some poor woman naked in the shower. We were told our reservations were not there, people were left all night in the lobby trying to resolve reservation issues. This was, without a doubt, the worst travel experience in all my life and it was all due to the Doubletree and a management staff that simply did not care what happened. The things that happened and the volume and frequency told me they were simply not having a bad day; this was, plain and simple, a very, very bad hotel and the most poorly run business I've ever dealt with in all my years in business.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

Before going to stay at the Doubletree in VA Beach, I read countless reviews on how bad it was. I am now wondering if the bad reviews were from people who really stayed there or if they were from competitors trying to snatch business away from a hotel that had cheaper rates. It is true they are undergoing renovations, which are now almost done, so I am sure some guests had unfortunate incidents during their stays. It is just a fact of life...some people are lucky and some are not. I can honestly say I did not experience one bad incident during my 4 night stay. At a price of $91 a night, one could not ask for better accomidations at such a reasonable price. I did not have a single problem with the friendly staff, I always had a clean room, hot water etc... So the beach isn't right outside the door, is it really too much (if one doesn't want to take the shuttle from the hotel that runs every half hour) of a hassle to drive to the end of the street (about 8 blocks) and pay $5 on weekdays or $7 on weekends to park all day in the city lot?? So a room might not stand up to a military "white glove" inspection of cleanliness, the rooms are affordable, clean and comfortable. The whole point of being at Virginia Beach in the summer is to be AT the beach not in the hotel room. The Doubletree is not some sort of luxury spa/resort where guest are expecting the hotel to pamper them and be the center of their travel. The Doubletree is a more than adaquate hotel at a very affordable price in a very fun location. Get out and enjoy the beach with the money you save on the hotel room, yet one will be able to relax at the end of a busy day in a comfortable hotel.

Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

I booked a two night stay at this hotel on Priceline and then read many of the posted reviews. To be honest, I was expecting to be disappointed, but I'm happy to report otherwise. All of the guest rooms have now been remodled, so you can't get an "old" room anymore. The check in staff and housekeeping could not have been nicer and the room was immaculate. Bear in mind that this is more of a convention/business hotel than a resort - yes, they have a pool, tennis courts, etc., but it's not a beach hotel. And a car is highly recommended. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed June 2006
Suffolk, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

I just returned from a weekend trip to VA Beach that I reserved through Priceline and I must say that it was one of the worst places I've ever stayed. I arrived at 2:30 PM and found other people checking in at that time. When my reservation was pulled up the front desk employee stated "Oh, you got your room throough Priceline. Those rooms aren't ready you'll have to come back at 4pm." Upon returning at 4, I went to a different employee who also made a comment about my "priceline reservation" and she reluctantly gave me the nonsmoking room that I had called and requested (the first employee told me that it would be impossible for me to have a nonsmoking room but I somehow got one).

The room was nice, newly renovated, but there was dirt on the floor surrounding the bathtub that looked as if it had been there for some time. The hotel claims to be 6 blocks from the beach but its actually a good mile or more. I took the shuttle on the first night (driven by some very young man who pulled out in front of a car and ran over 2 curbs in that short distance)....needless to say, I walked the mile back and drove from that point on.

The hotel swimming pool was closed to hotel guests due to a "private wedding reception". The housekeeper for my floor was overheard complaining about her job and then never showed up to clean my room. I returned to my room at 5pm and found it exactly as I had left it....no clean sheets, no new towels, shampoo....nothing. I assume the housekeeper decided that she didn't need to clean the room of a priceline customer. The whole stay was a nightmare. Take some advice....choose an oceanfront hotel and forget about going to Doubletree. Hilton should be ashamed.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2006

this place needs to be torn down!! Our 1st room smelled so bad it made me sick. We requested another room and the 2nd room had dirty towels in the bathroom and a very large mold stain on the bath room ceiling. Our third room had used condoms on the floor!!! and heavy mold in the bath tub. Very disappointing vacation. It ruined our trip. This hotel has a deep awful smell to the place. It is filthy and disgusting in every way. Called corporate and asked if they could help move us to another Hilton hotel in the area but they were unable to help us either. It was all so upsetting. We stayed at a other Hiltons on this trip but this hotel is just plain gross!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

Before making the reservation and arriving at this hotel, I and my better half were mentally prepared for the worst after reviewing the "glowing" reviews here. But the rate I was quoted was cheap. We took the plunge and let's see how it turned out:

Check-in was fast but with no acknowledgement of HHonor status if you happen to be gold or diamond member; we were only given one breakfast coupon when the reservation clearly stated there were two people in the room. You might be better off if you return the coupons and ask for points, but again the front desk folks probably didn't know how to do that. Free chocolate chip cookies were nice but that's about the one of the few things front desk can get right at this place. There were no bell staff but we didn't require any.

We saw the renovation notice in the elevator and it did say that the renovation would be done by March 2006. Though it looked like the only place that was done was the pool. So we arrived at the first room. The comforter had a large and visible ripped hole. The bathroom had lots of water stains on the ceiling and it looked like the hanger closet had their doors ripped out. Lots of common items were missing in the room but we were there just for a good night rest so we'll see if we could actually get that... NOT. The wall was paper thin and the neighbors were so considerate and turned up the TV volume so loud, you can hear it from the end of the other corridor.

We asked to be moved to another room. The front desk told us the only room available was a regular room with no "extra amenities." It'd be a down-grade from the room we paid for. But we thought, "we didn't get any upgrades to start with so what's the point?" We took the room. The front desk told us they would send someone up with the new room keys. 25 minutes later, an engineer came up and gave us the key. Ok, maybe they were short handed. Let's see what happens next.

The second room was quiet and we finally got a good night rest. The next morning we found out about the hot water issue for ourselves. The "hot" water was probably 50 degrees at best. Great, let's get some breakfast and get out of this dump. Upon arriving at the restaurant, staff were chitchatting about the hot water issue before greeting us. I suppose we weren't the only ones having the problem. Anyway, the food at the restaurant was your run-of-the-mill Hampton Inn style breakfast buffet. The quality was definitely comparable to that. I'm not sure if I'd be expecting this at a Doubletree branded hotel.

Overall this was quite a run down hotel in every way (including staff.) We definitely will not stay at this hotel again. Hilon Oceanfront has nicer facilities but the staff is comparable to this Doubletree. Maybe Virginia Beach is where Hilton does most of their staff training. But that is just a suspicion.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach? Share your experiences!