“This Is A Well Kept Old Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #47 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portsmouth, VA
“This Is A Well Kept Old Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

I like how they give all guests a free chocolate chip cookie with nuts when they check in. They have Neutrogena products in the bathroom.The indoor pool area was ice cold. The weight room had so many weights. And the Max and Erma's had great food. When we stayed in this hotel, the electricity went out. And the water went off. Therefore, I had to climb down and up 12 flights of stairs in a stairwell with no heat when the wind chill was 14 degrees outside to get some breakfast! The elevators look very old. And I have never seen marble floors in a hotel bathroom before. This is now the Doubletree that's closest to my home since the one in Norfolk was closed down recently for being so horrible.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear BigBlueBeast:
I am so sorry you were here during a power outage. Thank you for your kind words regarding the restaurant and your overall experience.
Melanie Bowman

633 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Rockville, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

My husband had a bad impression of Doubletree Hotels. My experiences had always been good ones and this was no different! I very happily report that our stay at this hotel changed my husband's opinion! We arrived at the hotel in the middle of a squall. The receptionist told us we just missed the hailstorm. The desk clerk greeted us cheerily and offered us the usual warm chocolate chip cookies. They felt great to hold in my cold hands! I always look forward to the cookies during my stays at the Doubletree but my husband who loves chocolate chip cookies cannot eat nuts. After my futile attempt to pick out the nuts for him I asked the desk clerk if they had any nut-free cookies available. She replied, "I'll check on that and if we don't have any I'll have the kitchen whip up a batch for your husband." When we returned from our day's excursion we found a box of six chocolate chip cookies with a note, "Please enjoy these cookies!" That is assuring your guests are happy!! Aside from this delicious welcome treat, (daily treat I might add) the hotel itself is a bit aged but there are renovation projects in progess. Our room was very comfortable and was much nicer than we had expected for a "beach" hotel. We only wished there were an additional desk light beside the bed for reading and an outlet to plug in the coffee maker. We managed with the resources at hand and these minor inconveniences were not distressing. My husband had an issue with the air handling system which roared every time it went on and kept him up at night. I slept right through it since I was quite tired from all the walking during the day. The location of the hotel was perfect for convention center activities and the beach was walkable (if you like to walk... it is about a 20 minute walk). The hotel is very dog friendly and our little schnoodle had a wonderful time. It was wonderful to get away over the Thanksgiving holiday. The beach was very quiet and peaceful. The hotel staff was very attentive during the off season. We had a great time.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

The designers of this hotel must have crossed over to the hospitality industry from parking garage architecture.

Please go back to building parking garages. This isn't your life calling.

The hallways are dimly lit with weird blue flourescent lighting, it's like one of those weird horror films where everything is mysteriously dark and dreary.

It's obvious the rooms are old with a sorry attempt to modernize on a strict budget.

Hilton, sell this property to a budget-class chain. It is not deserving of the Hilton badge.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

I went to Virginia Beach for a short weekend getaway. We found a really good price online and were hoping that we wouldn't be disappointed. I was very surprised at how nice the staff were and the cookies you get at check-in are delicious! The rooms are pretty spacious and the beds are really comfortable. For the price- this hotel is a great deal! I was a little bit concerned when I saw the trip advisor rating- but the hotel proved much better than the rating. Thanks!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

We had a room for two nights to go the air show at NAS Oceana. We selected the hotel since it was close by - only 3-5 miles away from the air station. It looks like it was an older hotel that was rehab-ed. The parking lot is very dark. We tried to park in the front of the hotel near the restaurant entrance where there was a little more lighting. Interior hallways are dark too. If I had been traveling alone, I might have been a little concerned.
The rooms were smallish. No fans in the bathroom so they are very steamy. Front desk service was not great. I was waiting in line behind someone asking about the airshow. The front desk person knew nothing about it. I was a little surprised given the proximity. We couldn't have been the only guests attending. Mattresses are very uncomfortable. Restaurant food was passable - nothng spectacular. I wouldn't recommend it. I should have stayed on the beach. While it wasn't the worst place to stay, I won't be going back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
w0rldtraveler007
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

This is a decent hotel for people interested in visiting Virginia Beach without staying on the loud strip but still wanting to be within walking distance. The staff was friendly and the room was decently updated and decorated. Some of the hallways did smell a bit like wet dog, but this is a pet friendly hotel, so that's to be expected. If you want to actually walk to the beach with beach chairs and accessories, however, this hotel is a bit too far and you'll end up driving down.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

We booked this hotel for the Rock n'Roll Half-Marathon weekend, with a 3 night package deal at $249 per night, regularly $275. The room was awful. Large stains covered the wallpaper on one wall. One lamp on a nightstand would not go on, which we figured out soon enough as there was no outlet. We had to rig an extension cord across the top of the headboard to get a reading lamp on that side. The corner lamp on the same wall could not be plugged in for the same reason, and we couldn't figure a way to do both. Next morning, we found that the coffee pot also had no outlet, so we had to dig the extension cord out from behind the dresser to plug it in. The bathtub had a large crack and enamel damage in one corner. The bathroom was too small for two to use comfortably. The wall-unit air conditioner was noisey and ineffective. The picture on the old tube-style TV was so dull and faded we could barely see it. The time on the alarm clock was off by several hours, and could not be set without tools and an engineering degree (this alarm clock is used in a lot of Hilton Hotels, and is a pain), so we had to call maintenance to get the clock set. In addition, one elevator seemed to be perpetually out of service all weekend.

This hotel brings shame to the Hilton family name, and should be ashamed for outrageously over-pricing these rooms for what you get. Staying in a cramped noisey room with stained walls and extension cords strung all over the place is something you might find in Harlem by the hour. It is clear hotel management is taking full advantage of being the only hotel next to the convention center.

On the bright side, the people were nice.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach? Share your experiences!