“Noisy, slow elevators, but good cookies.” 3 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #45 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
York, PA
“Noisy, slow elevators, but good cookies.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night, April 19, 2013. The hotel was being renovated, but it wasn’t too much of a bother. One observation regarding the parking lot; they seem to have an excessive amount of handicapped parking spaces. Not a big deal, but most were empty. I guess I was more aware of this because in the regular parking, someone had rudely taken up more than one parking space.

The staff was friendly and we had no problems with our reservation. We were given warm chocolate cookies at check-in and also at check-out - delicious! The lobby was clean and elevator location is central and away from the rooms – nice!

We stayed on the top floor which is supposedly a VIP floor. When we exited the elevator on the 12th floor, we were hit by a wave of hot humid air. Maybe it was due to the construction, so I can forgive that. Our room temperature was fine, but I was surprised to find adjoining room doors on both sides of our room. My major complaint is that we could clearly hear our neighbors’ TVs and their every cough and sneeze. I’m not sure if it was due to all the doors or the thin walls. We also clearly heard every word spoken in the hallway.

I’m sure it was just coincidence, but the ice machine on our floor was broken. I wouldn’t have minded as much if it weren’t for the super-slow elevators. I called the elevator and waited and waited, then took it down one floor to get ice. When I called for the elevator to go back up, I waited and waited again. It seems all the elevators return to the first floor after every trip.

The bed was more of a hammock than a bed. It was ridiculously soft to the point of being a bit uncomfortable. Pillows were down-type so they squished flat when you put your head down. The bathroom was clean and in good repair as well as the rest of the room.

We had breakfast at Max and Erma’s, the restaurant in the hotel. The food was ok, service was a bit slow and strange. Our waitress was either having a bad day or just wasn’t too bright. Nothing horrible, but it just added to the overall mediocre feel of this particular stay.

Maybe after their renovations there will be more to write about, but for the moment, the Double Tree is just an average to below average hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Miss Jennliner, thank you for taking time out to let us know of your experience with your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach. Please note that all the issues you mentioned have been passed to appropriate departments that they may be able to address them. We sincerely apologize if our property was not able to provide you the service you expected.

We hope to have the initial renovations of all guestrooms done by May 2013. Soon after, the hallways will be in renovation too. We are looking forward to having you see that when all is completed.

Our staff is truly appreciative with all our guests and we make sure to make everyone's stay as pleasing as possible.

Hope you have a great week and thank you again.

DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Virginia Beach, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I chose the Doubletree because it was a safe place to stay. Unfortunately, the doors are thin, so you can hear the conversations in the hallway and in the adjoining rooms. The room temperature was easy to maintain, the curtain blocked out all the light. The outlets on the lamp charged my phone, but the outlet on the wall kept spitting out the plug. The staff were helpful, except at the end of the visit, when I wanted confirmation of my cost, and they told me the computer was down, took my email address, and told me they would send me a final bill, which I never received. I still had my printout of my reservation, however, and they told me it would be the same (but how did they know whether or not I billed anything to my room?). I liked that I was on the top floor, safely away from any riffraff that might have wandered in. I like the fact that the lobby is always staffed. Much better experience than the Days Inn in Virginia Beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DTbyHiltonVB_GM, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Hilton Traveler, thank you for your review of the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach. It is unfortunate that your stay with us wasn't as perfect as it should be. Our sincere apologies.

If you read this response, please give me a call at our property so that I can get the room information. This will allow me to forward the information to our maintenance department so they can look at the room and repair what they can. This will also allow me to get your information so I can send you a copy of your folio.

Thank you very much and have a great week. Hope to see you again at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach.

Chester, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

First let me say that this is the only Hotel located next o the Virginia Beach Convention Center, and it was at the right time and the right place. I stayed for a FCCLA convention and had to walk students back and forth to the convention center many times during the day. I did have one issue while there, NO HOT WATER. I am giving the benefit of the doubt due to the fact that they had several people taking showers at the same time. I was told that the temp on the boiler was not increased so it took a little more time to get the hot water to where it was supposed to be. Well to my pleasant surprise I was not put off, but the person who came to my room to check the water followed through within 15 min and I had a piping hot shower!

The room attendant was OUTSTANDING! The room remained tidy and neat throughout my tenure and I was treated to little extras like a cup to put my toothbrush in, although it was already in a case.

It is close enough to the beach to walk....IN COMFORTABLE SHOES, ON A NOT SO HOT DAY.. about 8 -10 blocks to the waterfront and all of the action of VA Beach. called a cab but was told it would be about 30 min, so me and the kids walked.

Max & Irma's was very good, food was fairly priced and tasted good for American Fare.

OH Yeah, there is a naval base nearby......I thought the planes were flying through an opening in the building upon my arrival. As I was on the 3rd floor... I heard NOTHING once i was n my room and sleep.

Room Tip: If staying with a group or convention choose a room close to the stair well as the elevators (all 4...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Geoff_Monts, thank you for taking time out to let us know of your experience at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach. FCCLA is one of the big groups that we look forward to each year staying with us and we are delighted to hear that your school was with us again this year. We sincerely apologize that you had issues with the hot water and that it was resolved promptly. Feedback like this help us make sure that our guests stays are attended to and that it won't happen again to other guests.

Thank you as well for your nice words for the room attendant that attended to your room. We will certainly make sure to pass this compliment to our housekeeping department.

We look forward to your stay next year. Have a great day.

Charleston, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The hotel has lots of potential but certain detractors can make this locale a "no-stay". First, its proximity to Oceana Naval Air Station makes for cool sighting of Navy jets but can create insomnia with their taking off and landing every two (2) minutes from early in the morning until late at night. Second, it is a bit of a hike to any local restaurants which can be a bit of an inconveneience if you don't have ready access to a ride. Lastly, the free wi-fi was slow and/or limited at times - especially in the afternoons which can make business connectivity an issue.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DTbyHiltonVB_GM, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for taking time out to write a review about the DoubleTree by HIlton Virginia Beach.

Virginia Beach is indeed a great city for sighting of Navy jets being the home of the Oceana Naval Air Station. And we constantly remind everyone that these are Sounds of Freedom and that we hope that it doesn't inconvenience them during their stay.

During the summer season from Memorial Day to Labor Day, the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service for our guests to drive them from the hotel to corner 19th and Pacific, a block away from the beach, and back. With this additional amenity, we hope to make it convenient for our guests to visit the beach and additional shops/food stores, other than the Max & Erma's we have in our property.

We did pass your feedback to our management regarding the complimentary wi-fi access. The speed of the wi-fi access is dictated by the number of users, and afternoons, typically when guests do checkin, the number of users increase.

We do hope to see you again when you are in Virginia Beach. Have a great weekend.

DoubleTree by HIlton Virginia Beach
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I've stayed a few places in VA Beach for business... Town Center, Oceanfront, etc. Staff here at the DoubleTree were excellent and friendly. Fitness room was modern and the whole hotel was very clean.

There's some construction across the parking lot and I don't believe there are any ocean views, but that's ok; the beach is just a walk away!

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Good afternoon Brett B. Thank you for taking time out to write a review regarding your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach. We appreciate the nice words. Our staff truly appreciates it when guest feel the warmth of hospitality we strive to provide each and everyone that visits our property.

We hope you will visit us again soon. Have a great weekend.

Puerto Princesa, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2+months during the late summer months. The waterfront isnt far (walking distance) and they even provide a shuttle to and from the beach. Love the free cookies. Rooms are average, nothing exciting about them. Some floors do smell strongly of smoke.

• Stayed May 2012
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you jesselyn007 for taking time out to share your feedback about the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach. We are thankful that you have chosen our property during your stay in Virginia Beach.

Please note that the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach is currently undergoing guestrooms and public spaces with a target completion of May 2013. Our doors are still open and we make sure that our guests are not inconvenienced in any way, And part of this renovation is our conversion to a 100% smoke-free hotel.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a great place to stay, 7 short blocks to the beach without the hassle of parking at the beach! There is a Max and Ermas inside the property, so need to travel for restaurants! Easy on and off the highway. The only issue is the noise from the aircraft taking off and landing at the Naval Air BAse, but you get that noise anywhere in VB!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Steve B, our appreciation goes to you for a wonderful review of the property. We are delighted that you had a great stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach. Remember also if, and when, you come back to our property between Memorial Day and Labor Day, we have a complimentary shuttle service for our guests that runs every half an hour. The route is from the hotel to one block off the beach, and back. This will certainly give you less hassle too with parking at the beach.

We do apologize for the jet noise. And as we refer to it in Virginia Beach, it is the sound of freedom, which we hope our guests will surely understand.

Hope to see you again back in Virginia Beach.

DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach? Share your experiences!