“very swanky place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront

You added Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront to your Saves list
Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5700 Atlantic Ave, 57th St & Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Formerly Ramada)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #72 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
WIlson NC
“very swanky place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

No complaints whatsoever on this resort, other than the price. I realize it is right in line with others on the strand, but I consider them all overpriced.
Very nice interior wherever you go in teh buildings, and the grounds are very clean and well kept too. The indoor and outdoor pools are both small, but very few guest were in them. Love the umbrellas and chairs provided on the beach for guests.

Room Tip: ask for a room 5th floor and up for best view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

On the last full day (Sunday) of our Fri.-Mon. stay, we returned fo our room at 4:00 pm after being out for the day. Housekeeping had not cleaned the room and there was not a houskeeping cart in sight in the hallway. Also, there was a note posted in the bathtub that a new non-slip surface was applied and not to use the tub until after 8:00 pm. A dirty rag used to apply the surface still in the tub. Fortunately, we did not come from a day at the beach in need of showers before dinner. I understand the need for continued maintenance but advance warning should have been given with alternate facilities for showering if necessary before 8:00 pm.

I called the front desk and advised that the room had not been made up which was fine but we did need fresh towels as our soiled ones were still on the bathroom floor. "Right away" was the pleasant response. An hour later, still no towels and another call to the desk. "Right away" was the response. Bottom line, towels never showed. A friend of ours staying a couple of rooms down gave us a couple of spare towels that he had.

Service in the restaurant was friendly but spotty at best. Went to breakfast and waited 20 minutes before flagging down a server. He apologized and explained it was his 2nd week on the job and the busiest day so far and was a bit frazzled. A mix up on some orders ensued but eventually it all worked out.

Dinner was another uneven experience. The menu is pricey and the daily specials were never mentioned. The ribeye steak was only at best a quarter of an inch thick, all for $28! Beautiful presentation however. An error on the final check would have resulted in an additional $23 had I not looked at it carefully.

Upon check-out, I mentioned to the gentleman (ok, 18 yr old kid) the issues with the towels and tub and received a monotone response of "sorry 'bout that."

On the plus side, unlike some other reviewers, we liked the more remote, quiet location on the beach. We were in an oceanfront room on a upper floor which seemed to have been refreshed not too long ago.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

We went to this hotel a week before the memorial day weekend trying to avoid the rush. I hadnt planned on going here as we booked through priceline and we got what came through! After making the reservations and reading all the reviews I was dreading the stay not knowing what to expect. What we experienced was a very enjoyable stay and when I heard the front desk say "we see you booked through priceline..." I wasn't expecting that to be followed by "..and we have upgraded you to a ocean-front room in our renovated tower". So that worked out great. The rooms are good and the ocean view is amazing, so is the staff! The downside is, as other reviewers mentioned, no nearby restaurants or coffeeshop etc. But if you plan accordingly then it works out just fine. All in all, a great place to stay and I would definitely return when going to Virginia beach. Another downside is the lack of enough self-parking which is free, they do have a valet parking option aswell, didnt check its price.

Room Tip: 7th floor or higher means renovated tower!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

The check in and check out was very quick. The room seemed to be located in the older part of the building. We booked a room with two queen sized beds which were pretty comfortable. In addition to the sleeping area it had a living room, kitchen area, and balcony. The location was a short driving distance off of the main strip plus the beach was clean. The things that I liked about the hotel was its friendly staff, comfortable beds, and clean beach. The things that I disliked about the hotel was its unstable/slow internet and the location because it was a long walking distance from shops.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
East Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011 via mobile

When I heard we were going to Virginia Beach and staying at the Wyndham, I read the reviews on here and was dreading it. When I opened the door to the room, which was in the old part of the buildng, I held my breath, expecting to see filth, mold, and ratty old bedding. There's no doubt that the building needs to be refurbished, and scrubbed really well, but it was as clean as most $89 hotels, the bed was comfortable, the shower had hot water and great pressure, and we were able to sleep oceanfront with the outside door wide open so we could hear the ocean and feel the breeze.

The hotel is about a mile from 'where the action is', a good fifteen to twenty minute walk. It's surrounded by adorable little cottages and it's easy to go anywhere in Virginia Beach, not just beachfront.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back here, and relieved that I didn't back out after reading the reviews.

• Stayed May 2011
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

Why I would not recommend this hotel (motel):
It is very old. Few decades past due on remodeling. Still has CRT TV units from 1980’s, under the window AC unit, dirty hallway carpet, ASHTRAYS next to elevator entrances inside the hotel.
Location is in a middle of nowhere. Do yourself a favor; use Google maps to see how far it is from main attractions.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Bob in NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

I have stayed at many Wyndham properties over the years (as well as numerous other major chains) both domestically and internationally. This hotel is unequivocally one of the worst I've ever seen. It is long, long overdue for a major renovation. From the carpet, to the common areas, to the rooms themselves, the place is nothing short of rundown and, frankly, not particularly clean. For a hotel of the supposed caliper of a Wyndham, the bathrooms are the size you'd find at a Motel 6. Don't even bother using the internet because neither my wife or my laptop could get a strong enough signal to even stay connected (we phoned tech support and they told us that the signal was the "best they could provide." The business center is equipped with outdated desktops and the speed is not much better. I chatted with their outside technician and he said that the manager was doing everything on the cheap and would not upgrade equipment. Much of the equipment in the fitness room didn't operate and/or was very worn. If all of that wasn't bad enough, I couldn't tell you how many guests had dogs, including one across the hall from us which yelped and scratched constantly. This place was so bad, my wife and I referred to it as the "Wyndump."

Room Tip: Read the reviews and pay particular attention to s
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!