“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront

You added Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront to your Saves list
Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5700 Atlantic Ave, 57th St & Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Formerly Ramada)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #72 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

We went to this hotel a week before the memorial day weekend trying to avoid the rush. I hadnt planned on going here as we booked through priceline and we got what came through! After making the reservations and reading all the reviews I was dreading the stay not knowing what to expect. What we experienced was a very enjoyable stay and when I heard the front desk say "we see you booked through priceline..." I wasn't expecting that to be followed by "..and we have upgraded you to a ocean-front room in our renovated tower". So that worked out great. The rooms are good and the ocean view is amazing, so is the staff! The downside is, as other reviewers mentioned, no nearby restaurants or coffeeshop etc. But if you plan accordingly then it works out just fine. All in all, a great place to stay and I would definitely return when going to Virginia beach. Another downside is the lack of enough self-parking which is free, they do have a valet parking option aswell, didnt check its price.

Room Tip: 7th floor or higher means renovated tower!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

The check in and check out was very quick. The room seemed to be located in the older part of the building. We booked a room with two queen sized beds which were pretty comfortable. In addition to the sleeping area it had a living room, kitchen area, and balcony. The location was a short driving distance off of the main strip plus the beach was clean. The things that I liked about the hotel was its friendly staff, comfortable beds, and clean beach. The things that I disliked about the hotel was its unstable/slow internet and the location because it was a long walking distance from shops.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
East Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011 via mobile

When I heard we were going to Virginia Beach and staying at the Wyndham, I read the reviews on here and was dreading it. When I opened the door to the room, which was in the old part of the buildng, I held my breath, expecting to see filth, mold, and ratty old bedding. There's no doubt that the building needs to be refurbished, and scrubbed really well, but it was as clean as most $89 hotels, the bed was comfortable, the shower had hot water and great pressure, and we were able to sleep oceanfront with the outside door wide open so we could hear the ocean and feel the breeze.

The hotel is about a mile from 'where the action is', a good fifteen to twenty minute walk. It's surrounded by adorable little cottages and it's easy to go anywhere in Virginia Beach, not just beachfront.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back here, and relieved that I didn't back out after reading the reviews.

• Stayed May 2011
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

Why I would not recommend this hotel (motel):
It is very old. Few decades past due on remodeling. Still has CRT TV units from 1980’s, under the window AC unit, dirty hallway carpet, ASHTRAYS next to elevator entrances inside the hotel.
Location is in a middle of nowhere. Do yourself a favor; use Google maps to see how far it is from main attractions.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Bob in NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

I have stayed at many Wyndham properties over the years (as well as numerous other major chains) both domestically and internationally. This hotel is unequivocally one of the worst I've ever seen. It is long, long overdue for a major renovation. From the carpet, to the common areas, to the rooms themselves, the place is nothing short of rundown and, frankly, not particularly clean. For a hotel of the supposed caliper of a Wyndham, the bathrooms are the size you'd find at a Motel 6. Don't even bother using the internet because neither my wife or my laptop could get a strong enough signal to even stay connected (we phoned tech support and they told us that the signal was the "best they could provide." The business center is equipped with outdated desktops and the speed is not much better. I chatted with their outside technician and he said that the manager was doing everything on the cheap and would not upgrade equipment. Much of the equipment in the fitness room didn't operate and/or was very worn. If all of that wasn't bad enough, I couldn't tell you how many guests had dogs, including one across the hall from us which yelped and scratched constantly. This place was so bad, my wife and I referred to it as the "Wyndump."

Room Tip: Read the reviews and pay particular attention to s
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Jarrettsville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I would not wish this hotel on anyone. The night before a big race I was forced to sleep on a old, tiny, wire "bed" if you want to call it that, after they promised me two doubles. The resturant was the worst. We had a group of 10 which they could not handle at all! The reservation was over an hour late and the food was minimal (half orders) at full price. Took us 45 minutes just to pay the bill, over $300 which they gave us a $50 to apply to our room for our troubles. Over a month later, we still have not seen this credit!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

The Good:
1. Clean room
2. Nice balcony view
3. Friendly staff

The Bad:
1. The hallway leading to our bedroom was always a mess either from people leaving their dinner tray and trash or housekeeping leaving towels and cleaning supplies in the middle of the hallway.
2. The indoor and outdoor swimming pool is a lot smaller than the pictures online
3. The room was a bit dark. Need more lights preferabbly in the middle of the room.
4. The shower curtain was a bit long and you kind of step on it while taking a shower.

The Ugly:
1. Parking issue... I ran the Shamrock Half-Marathon race Mar 20, 2011. The night before the race there was a highschool dance in the hotel and finding a parking space was a nightmare. Last thing you need the night before the race is driving around forever looking for parking.
2. There was a long line in the morning because they only had two small shuttle van taking people to and from the event. After the race they were picking up people away from the designated pickup point. People who've been waiting patiently were unfairly cut off by some inconsiderate people.
3. Location is a bit far from the event and far from all the restaurants and shopping area in the city center. But if you have a car and dont have to rely on the shuttle then this wont be a problem.
4. Skip the hotel restaurant. Pricey menu and poor selection
5. Steep price for an average hotel

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!