“Great View, Everything Else OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Beach Quarters Resort

You added Beach Quarters Resort to your Saves list
Beach Quarters Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   501 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Formerly Clarion)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #71 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Bristol TN
“Great View, Everything Else OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This was our 3rd stay at this resort. Stayed on the 6th floor which has a great view of the boardwalk and ocean. Fun to people watch from the balcony. Had a 1 bedroom which was ok except for the fact it only had double beds. A little hard to get used to when you're used to queen size at home. Had to ask for detergents at the front desk that were supposed to be in the room.
Like most other reviews covered parking is rather treacherous. Go slow and careful and most vehicles will survive. Obvious from marks on poles, not all have. Beach in front of resort was pretty much taken up preparing for a monster truck rally on the beach scheduled for the weekend. Good part about that is we got to watch the whole show on Friday night sitting on our balcony. Resort is located on south end with plenty of action and places to eat. Love the VA Beach boardwalk - one of the best anywhere. Will return to the area, may or may not stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to stay on a middle floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
William B, General Manager at Beach Quarters Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Beach Quarters offers tremendous "up font" viewing from all of our 168 Suites that face the Ocenan and numrerous events year round. I am delighted that you had the opportunity to watch first hand the Monster truck event right from your private balcony. I would hope that we will be your choice of stay and the resort of choice on your next visit to Virginia Beach.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My husband and I just wanted to getaway for 3-4 days. We headed to Va Beach and ended up at Beach Quarters just by driving down Atlantic Avenue. My husband went in to check out the rooms and after his approval, I went in. A very comfortable room on the 7th floor with a GREAT view and location. From the front desk people (Evan) to the concierge (Brandon). The SandBar Grill on the 7th floor was so good. Delicious drinks and reasonable menu for light meals and snacks. We can highly recommend Beach Quarters.

Room Tip: The 4th-8th floors have great views although ALL rooms face the ocean. Incredible sunrises.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at Beach Quarters. I'm Bill Beddie the Resort Manager. It is always comforting to know that many guest actually drive the beach and select their place to stay. I'm happy that our staff met your expectations and appreciate the kind remarks. I plan to share your experience and inputs at our next morning staff meeting. We appreciate having the opportunity in serving you while stay at Virginia Beach. We look forward to providing the same quality of service on your future trips. Thank you for chosing Beach Quartes.
New York Mills, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Thank you Housekeeping for a wonderful clean room , we had stayed there a few weeks ago they where very busy. One housekeeper named Rekel was awsome she explain how the Department had a new Manager on Site. This was great news past stays where awful. This stay was Great New carpet in the rooms made a diffrence. the best part of this stay Housekeeping looked so tired and we saw the manager helping cleaning rooms to get the guest in the rooms for there stay. We travel alot and i mena alot never in my life i have seen a Executive house keeper help clean a room . overall front desk clerk Evan was great as well such a nice person.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for you sharing your pleasure with our staff duirng your recent stay at Beach Quarters. My name is Bill Beddie, the Resort Manager at Beach Quarters. It's very pleasing and I thank you for recognizing not only the Executive Housekeeper but, also her room assistance Rekel. We meet for stand ups and I plan to share your inputs to the entire staff. We are pleased that you not only chose us for the first visit but made a point to follow up and allowed us the opportunity to make your stay at the beach rememorable. Thank you for your business. We look forward to serving you on your next visit to Virginia Beach.
WARRENTON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I stayed at Beach Quarters last week from Weds. to Sat. When I arrived to my room on the 10th floor at 8 a.m. I was mortified at how dirty it was. It was supposedly cleaned the day before according to cleaning card. The floors and carpet were dirty,large balcony window smeared with something, microwave filthy and greasy and worst of all the furniture ( which looked as if it was purchased at a second hand store) was stained and smelly and the rug was a terrible musty smell. The maid service arrived after I had tidied a bit and told me the room looked fine and until I asked them to at least clean the bathroom and microwave they were going to leave. She did a quick "thorough" cleaning with awful smelling chemical products and the hard floor had a greasy feel to it after. The room continued to smell bad. I put one of the bed comforters over the sofa to make it more tolerable and found crusted food on it. I felt disgusted. I used the shower hoping to feel better after and it was like a mobil home shower. Small and very low, light pressure felt I had to bend forward not to hit my head on the shower head. I felt like I was in a second rate motel and was resigning myself to having to go home the next day or that night. I called the front desk and told them how dirty the room was and asked if it was possible to get another one that was actually clean. There was one left on the first floor thank God and I checked it first to see if it smelled. Lucky for me it had a bit of a smell but not bad or musty. It was great having a door going out to the beach right from my room. I didn't have to walk down a long outdoor corridor and wait for the slow elevator. The biggest complaint with this room was that the bedroom wall was adjacent to the heavy door going out to the garage which slammed shut so hard and loudly it made the wall and bed headboard shake and the noise was terrible. the walls had no soundproofing so anyone going in and out talking loud were heard loud and clear. One of the comforters had blood stain in one area....gross!! The tiny space outside the beachside door was so small it was rather pointless. Thanks heavens I had the beach right there. The kitchenettes ( a counter with a coffee pot and two burner stovetop crammed into an area next to the fridge) are nothing like the description given. Too call this place a resort is a major joke. The facility was just drab and dirty and smelly throughout and the staff disheveled. I actually had to come to the aide of folks not able to access the door from the beach into the building due to it not functioning properly locking them out not taking any key card. I called the front desk and someone came to repair. This "hotel" needs a total major overhaul and I would not stay there again and would warn anyone to think twice. The noise, cleanliness and overall quality is just terrible. I didn't trust using any other areas in the place because it felt so dank and dirty everywhere... except of course the lobby. I feel sorry for the front desk staff as they were friendly and cordial but they have to pay the price for a facility that only works against them doing a good job. I lucked out that I was able to turn a bad situation into a better one but my first visit back to the beach in 20 years was not one to look back on with fond memories thanks to Beach Quarters Resort.

Room Tip: I would choose a room in another Hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Petersburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

The best part of this trip was the wonderful view! I traveled with my family and we booked 2 rooms. One of the rooms initially smelled of paint and we attempted to get the room changed after contacting the front desk. That took an extremely long time so the room eventually aired out, we no longer smelled the paint and decided to keep the room. The other room was great, aside from the door to the balcony got stuck and we were no longer able to access our balcony which was the main reason for choosing an oceanfront room! Very upsetting! The front desk was informed of this as well but all we got was a simple apology. When visiting concierge, he attempted to get us to tour another hotel and shared information about a timeshare but after nicely declining about two times we were free to go. I wish the hotel had a later check-out time. Check-out here was at 10am. Other than the paint smell problem and the door being stuck, we overall enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HI, I'm Bill Beddie, Resort Manager at Beach Quarters. We strive to accomodate all issues especially upon check in and previous bookings to the best of our ability. We are delighted you truly enjoyed your stay at Virginia Beach and particularly happy that despite the initial check in to your room with an order of fresh paint, we were able to accomodate your desires including the room move. I hope you take the opportunity to allow us to serve you during your next visit to Virginia Beach. Thank you for your business.
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

In February I reserved a 1 bedroom suite for a getaway week at the end of April. This was to celebrate my birthday along with our 40th wedding anniversary. We like the "shoulder seasons" at the boardwalk where it is generally quiet and we can go walking, biking and fishing. One day before we were to leave I got an e-mail from the Gold Key people alerting us to an "event" at the boardwalk that weekend that might impact traffic in the area. Little did we know until our arrival that it was "beach week" when every ill-behaved underage teeny bopper descends on Va Beach to make as much trouble as they can. I think it is actually a contest to see who can get arrested first. We checked in and were assigned a ground floor room with a door that opened right onto the boardwalk but did not have a working deadbolt lock. My husband and I are seniors and were terrified of staying there with gangs of drunk teenagers outside and no door lock so we both leaned against the door as hard as we could and finally the lock held. In the room next door there was considerable underage drinking and partying going on but we tried to turn up the air conditioning fan so we could drown out the noise and get some sleep since we had driven seven hours to get there. After three more hours of unmitigated noise someone decided to vomit right outside our door and I decided I had had enough. We went to the front desk to explain the situation--we were told they were aware of the problem but there was nothing they could do, so we checked out and drove seven hours back home. I feel that Gold Key treated us like second class citizens because we used an II Getaway to reserve our week and clearly we were keeping them from making more money selling rooms to the animal house crowd. If this is the clientele they are looking to attract then they have succeeded. I for one will never set foot in a Gold Key resort again. By the way, on our way out of the parking garage we had to get out of the car and sweep away broken beer bottles with our feet in order to get around them. I reported it to the front desk but no one seemed to care. A real nice parting touch, Gold Key.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. You'll automatically be in a better room anywhere else.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
long island, new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Our parties both arrived in SUV's and didn't have too hard of a time navigating the insanely small parking garage. Larger SUV's, Suburbans or Expeditions, good luck making the hair pin turns moving both up and down in the garage. DO NOT Attempt to have a cargo rack on the roof, it will not fit at all. Last time down, we had to empty the contents of the cargo box, and remove the cargo box from the roof before entering the parking garage

We have been to the Beach Quarters Resort once before a couple years ago with the same couple we went this time. I think we are going to check out another hotel next time we visit.
Check in was not a problem and our friends had a joining room with us, which was very convenient. We do love that the patios all face the ocean and you do get an amazing sunrise each morning. With that sunrise, if your room is facing the ocean, you better bring some rope or tape to make sure the curtains are fully covering the windows, otherwise its rise and shine with the sun. The rooms that are in the back, or face the street, do not have this problem. We had those rooms last time.
The house service was a bit off this time. We had asked for towels twice and the only time they came was when we had to ask one of the cleaning ladies in the hall for them. My friend was able to get some later on and another employee of the hotel was able to get us some as well.
One big thing that bothered us was that it took 4 requests to get extra toilet paper, since we had barely a roll left. House keeping was called twice and the front desk once, nothing over the course of the day, after being told,"It'll be right up!" I had to walk to the front desk and ask, with a little bit of a tone, can we have some toilet paper. Again, about an hour later, it came.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
William B, Manager at Beach Quarters Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for you input regarding your stay at Beach Quarters. I'm Bill Beddie the Resort Manager at BQ. Your inputs are very valuable not only with identify issues but to ensure we excel and meet our guest expectations. I plan to share your findings with my staff on our next morning shift meeting. Our parking garage is tight and does drawn concerns with guest visiting with large vehicles. We afford ample parking accross the street to accomodate large vehicles and for guest who would rather have open access to parking in a lot vice the garage. Indeed our rooms do all face the rising sun and at times not only the warmth but the early morning sunshine quickly changes the mood and lighting within the rooms. We appreciate your stay and look forward to serving as your choice of resort on your next visit to Virginia Beach.

Been to Beach Quarters Resort? Share your experiences!