“Hotel, not a resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Beach Quarters Resort

You added Beach Quarters Resort to your Saves list
Beach Quarters Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   501 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Formerly Clarion)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #70 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Hotel, not a resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We traded a Marriott platinum week through Interval International and were assigned this property. After staying at multiple resort properties in the US and Internationally, we would rate Beach Quarters as a hotel but not a resort. It is apparent the facility was built as a hotel and has been converted. The walls are thin so you hear the people in the rooms around and above and can also hear anyone walking down the open outside hallway. Our one bedroom unit was on the third floor so we could also hear the people walking along the boardwalk and playing on the beach.

The rooms were clean and everything except the bedroom closet doors worked. A light bulb burned out in the living room and was promptly replaced after a call to the office. We were looking forward to using the steam room but they were updating the spa so it was not available.

We felt that Mary at the front desk was very helpful and explained that our exchange using Interval International only gave us a Captain Suite with two full size beds rather than a King's Suite that has a single queen size bed. Disappointing for our holiday but she handled the explanation well. Also took advantage of a power walk with Andrew, one of the people from the activity team. Even though I was the only person that showed up for the 8am walk, he still made the walk. I really appreciated his suggestions on local activities and restaurants.

We visited the area during the off season so it was not crowded but during season there could be problems in the parking garage. The turns are very narrow and you could see from the walls that many people have had accidents. We were grateful that Mary warned us so we were very careful. Best part of our week at Beach Quarters was the good service from Mary and Andrew.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
William B, Manager at Beach Quarters Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
I'm delighted that yor experiences, especially with our staff. lived up to our reputation of serving our guests each and everyday. I will pass your praised to both Andrew and Mary (our companies employee of the year). I understand your concerns with noise and we honestly try to express on property the need to respect eachother's vacation. Thank you again for recongizing my staff. I hope your future travels will afford us the opportunity to serve you again. Enjoy your day. Sincerely, Bill Beddie.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is clearly an older resort that was once a hotel. This explains the tiny kitchenettes. The kitchen area is very small and only one person can fit in the area. However, the resort made good use of the allotted space in placement of the appliances. We stayed in a two bedroom unit with two kitchenettes. One of the kitchenettes contained a full refrigerator, convection oven, stove top, (very small) sink and mini dishwasher. The other kitchen had a microwave, a mini refrigerator (tiny freezer that needed to be defrosted) and sink. The coffee maker in the mini kitchenette had rust and needed to be replaced. The unit with the mini kitchenette had a huge jetted tub that was large enough to fit two adults comfortably. The parking garage was hazardous and very hard to maneuver. We usually drive our van on vacations, but I read the reviews about the garage and we drove the Prius. Maneuvering the turns was still a problem and we found it easier to ignore the arrows after our first attempt of parking upon arriving at the resort. Entering the garage from the street and driving to higher levels in the garage was easier when we drove in the direction opposite of the arrows. The staff was very helpful and friendly during our entire stay. Cleanliness was a problem. The cleaning staff did not pay attention to detail, and one of our rooms was not very clean. There was long brown hair in the tub, in the sink, in the drawers and one of the spatula had dried egg on it. The cleaning staff did a mid-week complimentary cleaning to my satisfaction. Overall, this is a nice resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HI I'm Bill, the Resort Managers. Very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort. I've shared your experience and remarks with team duirng early mornig preshift. It is comforting to know that we lived up to "your" standards. Our goals are to reach each and every guest needs. We would surely love to accomodate your next visit to the area. Sincerely, BIll Beddie Resort Manager
CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We traded into here, and are very disappointed. The rooms are small, the bathroom is so small that a large person could not fit into it! The "full kitchen" is so tiny that 2 people can't fit together in it. The garage is so tight fitting, that a small compact car has trouble parking. The 3 pools they advertise is not entirely true - one pool is across the street. The Wifi is terrible, and there are no beach chairs. Very disappointed - the resort is not up to Interval International standards at all!

The location is great. We walked to restaurants and shops, and it is right on the beach. The staff here is wonderful, but we would not stay here again. There are 4 of us traveling, and all of us are disappointed. It is nothing like the brochures!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
William B, General Manager at Beach Quarters Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
I am Bill, the Resort Manager at this Resort. I would like to thank you for offering your feedback concerning your recent stay with us. We have used your feedback as a training opportunity with our staff to better our resort. The kitchens are compact yet efficient with the limited space associated with our suites. Your feedback is important and we look forward to your next stay at Beach Quarters. Thank you for your feedback and business!
Petroleum, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel was wonderful I would recommend to anyone clean , friendly , just great.My friends and I went to Va Beach for a girls weekend we had booked a different hotel upon arriving we discovered the hotel we booked was nasty so my friend went up and down the street looking for a new room and found this one . We had a wonderful time the room was great .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
William B, Manager at Beach Quarters Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
It's comforting to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort. We would surely love to accomodate your next visit to the area. I will gladly share your response to my team of professionals. Sincerely, BIll Beddie Resort Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at this resort twice and I have found very little to complain about. Our room was clean, the staff was very friendly and accommodating to any of our needs. Every room has a beachfront view and the balconies were the perfect size. To be honest, I was shocked by some of the other reviews. To be right on the beach for the price we paid, I couldn't ask for much more. There are two pools. One indoors, and the other is a rooftop pool. They aren't huge, but adequate. The parking garage has narrow ramps and you have to be careful and take your time maneuvering, but unless you have an oversized vehicle it's easily doable. We had a fabulous time and I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a relaxing, beachfront vacation at a reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for spending your holiday with us at Beach Quarters. We strive to meet the expectations of our guest - one guest at a time! I'll be sure to mention your comments to our staff during our morning pre shift meeting. We hope you'll slect us upon your return to Virginia Beach. Sincerely, Bill Beddie Resort Manager
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

New lesson learned: always check room out before you load all of your stuff in. The room had clean towels and sheets. 30 minutes in I called the front desk. This room is unacceptably dirty. "Do you want a different room?" "No, I just moved in. Can't you just CLEAN IT?" They sent a 16 year old boy to clean my floor with chrome cleaner. I sent him away after a pitiful attempt and thought I'd just clean it myself. THEN I looked closer. I called the management again, told them to get up there immediately which she did. I showed her the old, dirty, greasy sand mix all along the edges of the floor (which clearly was not just from the last occupant but many, many occupants) She didn't act surprised. Then I showed her the previously used PLUNGER in our bathroom. This one made me literally gasp when I looked at it. It made her gasp too. This is the stuff worthy of an episode of Hotel Nightmares. After telling me she'd have someone clean the room and remove the plunger tomorrow I told her "No, right now!" She didn't want to (and told me that) but did pick it up herself and remove it. After calling the desk in the morning to question where my maid was, they told me they usually wait til 10am to clean rooms... when people are gone. I demanded someone get up there immediately (did they offer me a free night for my trouble? NO.) Because of the filth in the plunger...every fingerprint took on new possibilities of origin. Hand/finger smudges on everything mirrors, doors, glass, TV's, art work, door handles, faucets - all of which I listed and she did clean. No, I did not tip the maid. I found it absurd there was an envelope left asking for a tip.

I didn't move rooms because I had no reason to believe any other room would be any cleaner. You should have no reason to believe you will get a clean room either. I made a list (completely separate of cleaning) and plan to write a letter to the president of the Gold Key company. And to think I couldn't check in an hour early (3pm) because my room "wasn't ready". What a complete and utter disappointment. I HAVE PICTURES, too gross to post here but will send in my letter.

Room Tip: Here's a tip for a good room....go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I am Bill, the Resort Manager at this Resort. I thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. It's unfortunate you had a poor experience with our resort. We consistently motivate our staff in order to better serve our guest day in day out. We have used your experience as a training tool to better make our staff excel to the level of commitment expected by each and every guest. I would hope that you would stay with us again so that we can perform at the level of expectation that you should and can expect. Thank you again for your feedback and business.
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

BQ is not what you would expect from a "resort" but it does have definite "pros" - the location is perfect especially during the Verizon Music Festival in that all rooms have ocean front balconies which provide an outstanding vantage point for the stage. There are also many great restaurants withing walking distance.The staff is simply outstanding - very friendly and very helpful and quick to respond. The room can be awkward in that you may have a room where you walk through the bedroom to enter and exit. The bathroom is very very small and could use cleaning and updating - the sink area is outside the toilet/shower. The kitchen is well equipped but very small - stovetop, dishwasher combo with refrigerator and very small counter - really OK to prepare small snacks but you could not prepate a meal easily. The sleep out sofa is surprisingly very very comfortable. The outdoor pool and pool bar on the 7th Floor are well maintained and very clean - there is also an indoor pool ground level. The garage is best described as treacherous - if you have a large vehicle be sure your car insurance is paid up - the ramps are simply too narrow so be very careful and drive slowly. Another minor issue is luggage carts - good luck finding one...people tend to hoard them in their rooms so check in and check out may require many trips and loads without the cart. Overall, not 5 star but we stay here every year because of the relative cost and the great location.

Room Tip: All rooms have an oceanfront balcony - balconies close to the spotlights attract bugs after dark.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
As the Resort Manager of this Resort, I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. Our success is dependent on the feedback we receive from loyal guest like you. I've mentioned your praise to our staff during our pre shift meetings and it really makes their day knowing guest take the time to share positive experiences not only with the resort but the public that we serve. I hope your return travels to Virginia Beach will include our Resort as your home away from home. Thank you again for your feedback and business.

Been to Beach Quarters Resort? Share your experiences!