“Not bad, but most likely would not go back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Beach Quarters Resort

You added Beach Quarters Resort to your Saves list
Beach Quarters Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   501 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Formerly Clarion)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #70 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Orlando,FL
“Not bad, but most likely would not go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

Went to Virginia Beach on the "Whale Watching" package. The hotel was okay. Not luxury by any means. I had some complaints. First the parking garage is an absolute nightmare. The turns and spaces were are tight. By the marks on the walls there had to be many accidents. The room smelled like smoke..YUCK! Thank God for the door that opened to the balcony to air out the room. The set-up of the room was very odd as well. The room had a Jacuzzi tub/shower and across from that was the very small area with the toilet, next to the tub/shower was a little sink area. No privacy. The last irritating thing was the concierge/timeshare sales women. She was very pushy and did not give good information, even tried to sell us tickets to Williamsburg at the "peak season" rate. Tried numerous times to go on the time share tour.

The one great thing about this hotel is view from our room was awesome!

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The room that smelled like smoke and the parking garage
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

Many of my family traveled to Virginia Beach, Va to greet my brother who was returning from Iraq. Being so busy, I waited till nearly midnight before I left to book a hotel. Some of the hotels were showing no availibility so I immediatly booked the Clarion without doing my usual research. It was only after I booked that I started to surf the net and found some less than appealing reviews about this hotel. Since I paid up-front, it would be a major task to try to get out of it. Other family members were staying at the brand new Westin so they were stressing me to change my reservations. I even contacted my CC company to get information on possible senarios if I wanted to change. I decided to take a wait and see aproach. We stayed in Rm#1102-King Neptune Suite.

When I and my kids entered the room we were pleasantly surprised. The room was really nice, the kitchenette had granite tops with new white appliances. The furniture was nice as well as the decor. It smelled clean and fresh and the view was incredible! There are doors to the balcony from the bedroom and the living room. There were 4 pillow on the bed in the bedroom and 2 pillows for the pullout in the livingroom. The heat was immediate when the thermostat was changed- this was a great feature for those who are always cold.

The staff was very nice and there was no cigarette smell at all contray to a previous review.

I intend to return to the Clarion RM-1102 ;-)

Now I will agree that if you have a huge SUV, the parking lot will piss you off. I had no trouble with my small size SUV.

I'll post the pics of my rm later.

EA - New Jersey

Stayed January 2008
Naperville, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

This is a hotel/ timeshare property and I had purchased a week sight unseen through a bankruptcy proceeding. I happened to be visiting Colonial Williamsburg (1.5 hours away - staying at Marriott's Manor Club) during Thanksgiving week, so we stopped by to check the property out. It so happens that the week of my ownership at the Clarion is also Thanksgiving week, so it was a perfect time to see what I really bought.

Conclusion - I am very pleased with my purchase. While the Clarion is an average timeshare, not near the level of our Marriott timeshare, it is a good value relative to the cost. The room we were allowed to view (8th floor) was average at best. However, the views and the amenities were well above average. All rooms are oceanfront suites with kitchenettes and there are three different room types. The indoor pool was very attractive and of good size, with a hot tub. The biggest surprise was the health club, which had an enormous array of weight equipment, a steam room, sauna, and whilrpool tub. The lady we met stated they did allow locals to purchase memberships at the club, which enabled them to have one of the most superior health clubs I have ever seen in a hotel resort.

The beach is amazing - very wide and well groomed. The boardwalk is also well maintained. From Thanksgiving week through Chrismtas, they have a holiday light display that is quite enjoyable. After dusk, you do have to clear the boardwalk as they allow cars to pay a small fee and drive the 3 miles to view the holiday displays along the beach and boardwalk. The weather was very pleasant (high 60s), although it did vary through the week and got cool in the evening. On some days, there were people actually in the water surfing (in November!). They had wet suits on which must help in the cooler water.

We had dinner at Mahi Mahs, which is in the Ramada right next to the Clarion. We sat outside with a view of the beach and the lights. Excellent seafood and nice happy hour specials. Entrees were expensive, but worth it. Look for coupons in the local guides to defray some of that cost.

So, all in all, I learned that November is a good time to visit Virginia Beach, especially once the light displays are up. Also, this will be a great place if your expectations are in line and you have the mindset that the room is mostly a place to sleep and focus the rest of your time enjoying the beach and ammenities.

• Liked — Beachfront
  • Disliked — Access hotel rooms from outside
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
bucks county, Pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

Ohh where to start, I had high expectations of this hotel, the web site had beautiful pictures, and they made it sound like it was a 5 star "RESORT" and offered spa services and everything.
Pros:
Beautiful location overlooking the ocean.
Our room (1107) you could open the window curtain and the door and see the ocean from the bed, which was cool.

Cons:
Bed looked soft and squishy, but was very uncomfortable, meager bedding, with NO fitted sheet for the bottom of the bed, which kept coming off in the middle of the night, when i woke up in the am I was laying on the mattress it was so disgusting a feeling, and I had a rash on my arm .. more than likely from bed bugs. There was no mattress protector or pad , it was just a flat sheet over top that was it.
The "Kitchenette" was super small, but had everything you needed.. but had ants.. (ants in november.. ick)
The bathroom was seperated by the walkway into the room which was a totally odd set up. The bathtub was a huge whirlpool tub, but was also the shower. and there was a huge ledge to climb over to actually get into it. So if your handicapped, or disabled in anyway, no shower for you.
The toilet was on the other side of the wall literally looks like it was in a closet. it was soo small again if you have any disability at all you woudl probably not be getting into this Toilet area. talk about closterphobic.
I had no idea this was even a timeshare property, until we we were "accousted" by the what was supposed to be "concierge" trying to get us to go to a timehshare meeting.
I tried to move to a different hotel the next night, but was told they woudl not refund my money. So we just stayed.
Parking Garage was a nightmare, there are chunks taken out of the walls where cars have ran into it. If you have a minivan or suv, dont bother even trying.
Also from the pictures, I assumed this was an inside hotel, meaning to get to the rooms there were interior coridors, but this was not the case. The walkway to the rooms was not enclosed which makes it easier for bugs and cold air to get into the rooms.
Very disapoointed , I expected more.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — uncomfortable accomodations
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

I didn't use a lot of the on-site facilities, because being able to step out on the beach Boardwalk pretty eliminated anything they could offer!

I LOVED the rooms! Being able to open up the balcony door and get the sound and smell of the ocean was priceless, especially when you can catch a good week-end in November! No having windows in the bedroom allowed me to sleep better...a nice bonus. It was a little strange opening the door and entering through the bedroom.

Staff was wonderful and accomodating. I had booked a small efficientcy, and they gladly upgraded us to a 1-bedroom suite at no charge...we only needed to ask. (Probably be much harder to get during the peak season.) They did try to charge me $3.00 for an in-room safe when I checked out, but when I told them I was not informed about it on check-in, they deleted the charge. Just be sure you ask when you check in, and aren't surprised later.

Overall, I loved Virginia Beach and am definitely planning a trip back. When I go, this will be at the top of my list of places to stay.

Stayed November 2007
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

We traded here thru Interval World .
Being Time Share oriented we were initialy disappointed by its not being up to our usual TS expectations,however taking into consideration they were a conversion from a hotel to a TS we could understand their position.
The location and view could not have been better.
Ocean view and 3 blocks from Ruddee Inlet tough to beat.
Rooms were run down but doable,(the view from the balcony overcame a lot)
W&B Werner

• Liked — view & location
  • Disliked — shabby accomodations
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

This Hotel is at the quiet end of the beach near Rudee's Inlet. It was okay. We had a few maintenence issues and I must say that they responded very quickly each time. Our room was opposite the laundry and near the stairs, so there was constant door banging all night long. The beds were comfortable and the unit was clean and well equipped. As in previous reviews, the parking is awful. The underground parking is too tight and unless you want your car damaged,I would advise parking in their outside lot across the Street.
I rented it directly from a Timeshare owner. I visit Virginia Beach with my daughter every summer and try to stay in different places. This one was adequate but I think I'll look for something different next year.

• Liked — Oceanfront
  • Disliked — Doors banging all night long every single night.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Beach Quarters Resort? Share your experiences!