“Good Location, everything you need” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Coon Rapids, MN
“Good Location, everything you need”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

Very good value for the price (at least pre-season). Two room suite with full oceanfront view from living room incl balcony; bedroom in back and bathroom inbetween. Clean, nicely decorated. Good location for restaurants and beach activity. Good continental breakfast with waffels. Undercover parking. Only minor complaint was thermostat for AC had to be set to 60 degrees to be cooled to 70 degrees (reported to hotel when we left, assume problem was corrected - did not disturb our stay as room could be adequately cooled).

• Liked — Price, two room suite oceanfront
  • Disliked — minor issue with thermostat but no real problem
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2007

My mother and I recently took my 17 year old daughter and her friend to Virginia Beach for part of their spring break. I had not been to Virginia Beach in 15 years, so I had no idea where to stay. I spent a lot of time reviewing comments made on tripadvisor.com, and narrowed my selection to the Comfort Inn Oceanfront and the Fairfield. Both properties appeared to be very similar, but I chose the Comfort Inn Oceanfront because they offered a senior discount, which resulted in a significant savings. Fairfield did not. Anyway, we were very happy with this hotel. The bed in the bedroom was very comfortable, and the sleeper sofa was big enough to accomodate 2 teenagers. I had originally thought I might have to get an extra cot since some sleeper sofas are small, but this was not the case at all. The balcony was lovely, magnificent view and location. Very clean, especially the bathroom. Breakfast was ok, indoor pool nice, hot tub wonderful! We were there during an unusually cold spell, and I think they had trouble keeping up with the pool towels. One time there were none available the entire time, so we had to air dry. Overall, I would strongly urge anyone to stay here. It's clean, comfortable, and perfectly located. Just a word of caution - Virginia Beach, while a nice town, is rather quiet compared to say Myrtle Beach. If the weather is bad or cold, there's stuff to do for maybe one and a half to two days. Then you start thinking about going home. We went to the Aquarium and IMAX (lots of fun), rented bikes, played mini golf, ate out, swam indoors, and walked and walked and walked. I bet it's a great place in warm weather!

• Liked — size of room
  • Disliked — Only the weather!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Madison Heights, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2007

My husband and I took our two young grandsons to the beach for a few days during their spring break, and we were very happy with this hotel. The lobby was attractive with lots of tropical plants; the indoor pool was well maintained and great for the kids during this unusually cold spell. Our suite was recently renovated with new carpet and furniture. It consisted of a bedroom on the back and a sitting room facing the ocean. The bathroom was large with double shower heads over the tub, lots of fluffy towels, and good quality lotion, shampoo, etc. The bed linens were of excellent quality, and the ones for the sofa bed were packed in plastic bags, which was more reassuring than what I have seen in other hotels.There was also a small sink, a small refrigerator, and a microwave. The view of the ocean was superb, and the private balcony had good, sturdy railings that small children could not fall through. This is not always the case with hotel balconies. Breakfast consisted of do-it-yourself waffles, toast, cereals, pastries, fruit, juices, and excellent coffee. The breakfast area was kept clean and restocked by two very attentive attendants. We ate relatively early when the area was not crowded; it did seem to become quite crowded later, however. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly; fresh towels in large quantities were delivered daily, and there were always fresh towels by the pool. A lightbulb needed to be replaced in our room, and someone came within 30 minutes of our reporting the problem. My only complaint would be the slightly dark bedroom and noisy heating system. Also, the instructions on using the phone were incorrect. I had to go down to the front desk to find out how to call them. It was an excellent experience, however,and we'll be back.

• Liked — new carpet and furnishings, indoor pool, great staff
  • Disliked — slightly dark bedroom
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2007

The Comfort Inn Oceanside is located right off 21st street in Virginia Beach. I stay at many Comfort Inn hotels and this has to be one of the best. All the rooms are suites and have a mini-kitchen (fridge, sink, microwave), living room area and bedroom. The living room had its own television and fold-out couch. The bedroom could be separated from the living room by a sliding door for privacy. Every room in this hotel also has a balcony with a beach view, which would be really nice in the summer. Since I was visiting in the off-season, there were few people in the hotel or on the beach (it was cold!), but I can imagine that the area hops when crowded. There is a small gym in the lobby which has various cardio and weight equipment. Unlike many Comforts where I have stayed, all the equipment was functioning and fairly new. A very small pool and Jacuzzi are also available for guests. Hotel staff were personable and helpful. The only negative that I have for this hotel was something completely beyond their control; I was occasionally awakened throughout the night by the sound of jets taking off or landing from the base nearby. Other than that, I would absolutely recommend staying at this Comfort Inn.

• Liked — Excellent Location, Right on the Beach
  • Disliked — Jet Noise
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2006

Booked the Comfort Inn& Suites with 5 girlfriends in July 2006 through studentadvantage.com's discount with ChoiceHotels. We were a group of college students looking for a good time at the beach on a reasonable budget, nothing lavish, nothing slummy. Felt every penny was worth the experience. Overall enjoyable stay to be repeated with my family in summer 2007. Here are the pros and cons as we saw them:

Cons (to get the negatives out of the way):
~Smelly elevator; seemed as if something had died in one elevator and left the odor lingering. Possibly a bird caught in the shaft; never found out. Took two days of repairs (as we saw the staff trying) to locate the source and remove it. Second elevator and stairs were fine in the mean time.

~Small pool in the front; we weren't too keen on swimming in the pool right at the front of the hotel near the street, nor on the small size, but it was clean and cool; great for kids as we saw a lot playing and decent deck chairs for sunning

~Key swipe problem; one room refused to key swipe, but we were able to eventually get a replacement. It wasn't a huge problem since our two rooms connected.

~Didn't see a tremendous amount of college students on the beach near us; mostly families

Pros:
~ Close to the beach; about a block and 1/2 away
~ Friendly staff (very attentive and polite as were were concerned they'd frown at college students)
~ Easy transaction process (the mandatory safe fee withheld in the beginning was returned at the end of our stay since we didn't use them; honored our reservation requests for floor and connecting rooms
~Permitted 18+yr-old check-in with major credit card
~Great complimentary breakfast!! Bacon, sausage, eggs, grits, fruit, etc. every morning; crowded at certain hours, but very accessable
~Comfortable rooms with clean bathrooms and ample amenities
~Inexpensive taxi service to local attractions and Greyhound station (we always called ahead and a taxi was ready in 15 minutes at the most. Went to the mystery dinner theater at the Doubletree Hotel which was fun; good for families)
~Very near to great shopping, restaurants, and clubs. We went to Peabody's which was a lot of fun, filled with college-age kids like ourselves

Wonderful time at Comfort Inn. I commend the hotel staff for their efforts! Hope this helps!

• Liked — Location, Price, Comfort, Complimentary Breakfast
  • Disliked — Small Pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Try to book through ChoiceHotels.com or using a Student Advantage card if you're a student for extra discounts
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
Euclid OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

Before I booked our stay I read reviews online and this hotel had some of the better ones. I was so happy with our room and the hotel in general I wanted to add another great review.

I lived in Virginia Beach back in the 80's and know the area. This was the perfect location. Center strip for easy walking to the beach locations and stores. The view from the room was magnifcient. The room was clean and neat. The breakfast was a charm. Self serve, but the choice was bagels, waffels with strawberries and whipped cream, cereals, coffee, and juices. The sitting room was also more that we expected.

The parking garage was another great feature.

We plan on coming back next year, and we plan on staying here again.

Thanks for a great welcome and stay.

• Liked — The view and the room. The sitting area was much nicer than I expected.
  • Disliked — None.
  • Tips/Secrets — None.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Wash DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2006

The good:
-clean
-all suites/all beach view
-parking lot aligned to your floor (close to your car)
-free breakfast (cold)
-central location

The bad:
-not really "bad" but wish it was cheaper... but you get what you pay for

Stayed July 2006

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanfront? Share your experiences!