“Charles Benton” 5 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“Charles Benton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I have stayed here 30 plus nights over the past few months. I stay in a hotel over 100 times a year for business and have been absolutely pleased with the rooms and staff. Very clean rooms and good beds. Front desk staff are very helpful and welcoming. Convenient location and walking distance to lots of restaurants and attractions.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind here. Location-wise, it is easy to find right at the end of 264..just make a right turn off of it as you get to Atlantic Blvd and it's right there. Check-in was easy and fast, but the concierge bothering you with a nearly immediate sales pitch for timeshares or vacation rental places was a total turn-off. It didn't end with saying no there, as I got a follow-up call to the room begging me to come down to pick up their propaganda for timeshares or whatever it was. Parking was available-one spot per room and don't forget to have your parking pass...it get's very full, so I am not sure what happens if they have more guest cars than spaces.

So...up to the room we go. It's average, and fairly dated decor. The TV's are small and don't have HBO and one of them had fuzzy reception in the living room area. The view is fine and it's convenient to pretty much anything. It is an older area and in the mornings, there sure seems to be a lot of rif-raff walking around (I could spot several homeless bums walking around with booze bottles from the parking lot at 7:30AM on both Saturday and Sunday). Not hotel related, just a statement about the area in general. The amenities for the rooms were okay, including a microwave and mini-fridge and coffee maker. The towels were okay....one was stained. The soap/shampoo/conditioner were pretty poor and overly perfumey. Bring your own. There is hair dryer in the bathroom and it is a well lit bathroom - the shower has two heads for good soaking.

As for noise, during the day, your location is treated to fighter jets screeching overhead at low altitudes. That can be taken as a neat thing or bother if you want to catch some zzz's during the day. Not there at night. I thought it was cool to see them so close. Now for the not so neat things. Since you're at a budget hotel, the pool is okay, but is filled with kids screaming at the top of their lungs, with parents that don't do much to quiet them, they let little kids into the hot tub with no apparent supervision, and the pool is fairly chilly. There is nothing in the pool room to absorb noise, so I literally could not hear my daughter talking to me from only 3 feet away it was that noisy. It made the pool time unbearable. Then came the 2nd night stay where the bar time crowd rambled in at 2:30 and settled in next door. Slamming doors were par for the course for the next hour or so, followed by the non-smoking floor smelling like an ash tray (with smoke filling our own room). It took a number of calls but finally around 4:30 they were kicked out. This is the "you get what you pay for" thing....higher price would weed out that crowd....and it would have been worth it. Sleep ruined for the night totally. Yeah...we were refunded one night, but so tired from that the rest of the day was pretty well shot too because we were all tired.

Breakfast....is available and refreshed regularly. The eggs taste pretty powdery and whatever "cheese" was on the omelet was like sub-par salted Velveta. You got an option for either cinnamon or regular waffle...syrup was HFC filled...no lite type. OJ was ok but lemonade was empty. Biscuits were very good and fresh. The other killer here was that the sunrise shined directly into your eyes and there was no way for them to pull down the drapes...no blinds. I asked...and they just said that Choice Hotels would not allow them to be closed anyway...so take a welder's mask down if you sit on the sunny facing side of the table...or go out into the lobby area.

Overall, this has really soured my opinion of the Choice line of hotels. I see there is a new one being built just north. Hopefully they learn some lessons before opening that one. I would not return to this one ever, and I am even somewhat reluctant now to even bother with VA Beach again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jacksonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stayed on our trip to Virginia Beach, I work at a hotel and my boyfriend teases me as I am always extra nit-picky and do my research when picking a hotel. I inspect and pay attention to everything in the hotel whenever we go anywhere. Only stayed one night for New Years Eve, check in and check out was quick and easy, no issues there and front desk staff was polite/friendly, although they seemed new as she seemed a little nervous or shy, I did not catch her name. The room was clean with a good layout with balcony over looking the beach, nothing to complain about in the room we had. My boyfriend and I ran into the sales lady in the lobby area who was amazing, she recommended a few places for us to go for dinner and gave us direction to where I had chosen to eat, she was very informative and social, definitely does her job well. We ran into her again the next morning at breakfast, she was very friendly she remembered who we were and asked how our dinner was and how our long walk to and from the hotel to the restaurant. Great service overall

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have stayed here for the past 3 years for the High School Wrestling National tournament....It has always been fantastic!!

-Awesome Staff at the front desk (William)....Always very accommodating, helpful and extremely friendly....
-Great breakfast every morning downstairs (waffles, bacon or sausage,eggs or omelets, bagels, yogurts, cereals etc....) even having to deal with the large number of guests staying for the weekend....
-Rooms were very clean and the view was beautiful....I even met our housekeeper and she was wonderful when asked to get us extra towels to accommodate the wrestlers who needed to take extra showers during this long tournament....
-Room temperature/thermostat never had an ON/OFF sound continuously throughout the night that most hotels have an issue with....
Beds were extremely comfortable....
-The best location on the strip which is close to convention center, beach and local restaurants and bars....
-Convenient parking garage that had zero safety issues....
-I will always try to stay at this hotel every
time I am in Virginia Beach!!

Room Tip: Stay in suites that end in #10 (example: Room 310....Room 301 is at other end of hall) to be closer...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Charlottesville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

This was a dual purpose trip: a spot to stay for the Shamrock Marathon, where my wife was running and a business trip for me. While not exactly a luxurious experience, Comfort Inn and Suites was adequate for our needs. The suite was two rooms, as shown in some of the pictures, one of which faced the ocean. I'll post a picture of the wonderful view.
Virginia Beach was a pleasant surprise, beautiful beach, nice environment. The city accommodated thousands of people for the marathon, seemingly with ease. We really appreciate their good planning and professionalism.

Room Tip: The walls are thin! There was a crying baby next door who never seemed to sleep. Also, a group of wo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Monroe MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

When we are planning a trip, we have a simple philosophy. Let us try to find a hotel that has an indoor pool, is not a dive and is as affordable as possible. Sometimes when you are travelling on short notice you can't always get what you want. You can try sometimes.

We thought we had with the Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanfront in Virginia Beach. We were travelling a day earlier than we had planned in order to avoid driving in the storms that were supposed to hit upstate New York and other areas along our proposed route.

When we arrived the people at the front desk were pleasant and helpful. This is not about staff at all. The first problem came when we got to the room. Granted it was a suite but as far as we were concerned it was set up backwards. The living room portion was near the balcony and near the open door to the balcony. So when we finally put head to pillow, we were unable to hear the sounds of the ocean, which is something we look forward to whenever we stay on the beach.

Secondly, it was supposed to be a Queen size bed. I dont know who did the measuring, but if this bed was much more than a full, I would be very surprised. We sleep in a Queen size bed every night and this one was no Queen.

The biggest issue came when we went to the pool for a swim. The water was freezing. Which probably was because the heating element for the pool; had been pulled out and was in the process of being replaced. Now since there was a big piece of equipment near the lobby but clearly visible to anyone with eyes, this is something that might have been mentioned when we checked in.

When we mentioned it, the young lady at the desk stated she didn't know when the pool would be reheated but would call us in the room when she had some idea. Now, since I noticed there was no heating element and knew for a fact that once they put it in, it was going to take at least a day minimum for it to heat, I was sure we weren't going to hear anything good. It still took almost two hours to hear from the front desk that it didnt look good for a swim.

Now like I mentioned the main reason we chose this hotel was because o the pool. We discussed it and decided not to attempt to find another hotel on the beach that had one. There was the usual apology and another staff member asked if there was anything they could do to make our stay better we should ask. We pointed out the pool problem.

We did receive a call from the hotel manager when we got home and we returned his call. When I gave him my name, he asked if this was about the pillows. I was pretty sure it wasn't. At least he could have left himself a note as to what the issue was when he called so he would have the right complaint with the right client.

Room Tip: If you want a pool make sure you ask in advance if it is going to be accessible. Even if it isn'...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I who already reside in Virginia just wanted a mini getaway for Valentine's day and I am glad we chose this location. The room was just as pictured and included all the adminities and comfort as we expected. We enjoyed a night out on the town as this location was close to many great eateries. The staff was friendly/helpful as they were able to answer all the questions we had.

I most likely will return this summer with the rest of the family :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanfront? Share your experiences!