“Great Spot in Virginia Beach” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“Great Spot in Virginia Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

We just returned from a great time in Virginia Beach and we thoroughly enjoyed the Econo Lodge. The staff was great, the location was perfect and the bikes were really a great extra. The room was on the second floor and it was perfect for relaxing on the balcony at the end of the day. It was within walking distance to many good restaurants. We even did some surf fishing right on the beach in the evening and caught some fish. My family really enjoyed this spot and we'll be back someday.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Thank you so much for your nice review of the hotel. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and would like to come back. Now that we know you are interested in fishing, late September and October are GREAT for surf fishing, if you get the chance to come back then. Especially after a rain. Thanks again for your business and we hope to see you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Jay, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I stayed four nights at the Econo Lodge and enjoyed it very much. This was my first time staying at an Econo Lodge so my expectations were not very high. Being a frequent traveler, I check out a lot of hotels and was not overly impressed with other Econo Lodges in different parts of the country. However, this one was different. I had a third floor room overlooking the boardwalk and the ocean, which was beautiful. The rooms were very well kept up and the beds were amazingly comfortable and soft. The air conditioning in this building worked awesome. It cooled the room down quickly and maintained the temperature I set to. The day staff was extremely friendly, especially the man who I believe was the manager or maybe even the owner. The free bike rental is extremely convenient. They allow you to rent them for up to an hour and you can do the entire boardwalk in about 25 minutes. The breakfast was also very good. It's nothing big and special, but coffee and cereal was all needed and that's what they had. Since it is served in a small area, I would highly recommend you take it back to your room and eat on your balcony! The only real issue I had with this hotel was that parking was atrocious. The spaces are extremely close and in some cases people parked where there weren't spaces and blocked other cars in. Each time I parked, I had to let my passengers out and I squeezed into a space and had about six inches for myself to get out. Other than that, this was a great experience, at an excellent price. I plan to visit Virginia Beach again next summer and will certainly be staying at the Econo Lodge on the Ocean!

Room Tip: A lot of reviews will suggest to get a first floor because you're 30 yards from the boardwalk, b...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you so much for your review, we always appreciate the encouragement for the staff, (and me!). Our parking situation is a good news/bad news thing. Yes it is a very tight parking lot which is the bad news. The good news is we always have a space on site for our guests, rather than at a parking lot 2 blocks away. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and plan to return again. We look forward to seeing you again.
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This small hotel seems to be dwarfed by many other hotels on Atlantic Avenue in Virginia Beach, VA. On closer inspection, I discovered that it actually offers all amenities that its neighbors offer but at a much lower price. Like them, it is directly on the beach but unlike them, every room is truly a spot-on oceanfront room and not more than a few steps from soft sand, a blue sky and surging ocean waves. Instead of a fancy lobby and elevators, guests are treated to free bicycles, a decent continental breakfast and no-fee Internet. The staff is attentive and wonderfully accommodating in every way. Despite being only steps from the beach, this place is clean as a whistle all day long and well maintained. On-site parking is tight but well managed. The rooms are quite large, have nice balconies and are well equipped with every convenience a guest could want to round out a great vacation. By the way, I chose this hotel among dozens of choices, after reading previous reviews in TripAdvisor - it really works.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with kids, the ground floor rooms may make access to the beach with a lot of b...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you so much for such a great review! The staff appreciates the kindness, and we are all very happy you seem to have thoroughly enjoyed your trip. We hope to get you back down here very soon!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed for a week in Virginia Beach at the Econo Lodge on the Ocean. It was such a great stay! Staff was very friendly and greeted us constantly. The rooms were clean and great. The room was standard. There was 2 beds, 2 chairs and a table, a mini fridge and microwave and the balcony had 2 chairs. We stayed on the 2nd floor and the view was great. I didn't mind walking up one flight of stairs and I had a 4 year old with me. Maybe the 3rd floor might be too much if you have small kids or babies. I chose the 2nd floor for the balcony and the view of the beach. The one thing is the parking lot is small. They have enough spots for 1 car per room. You get a tag to hang in your car so they know you are staying there. Since you are close to the beach they want to make sure random beach goers dont take a spot. But, since the parking lot is very small it can get a bit difficult to maneuver or park. This hotel gets booked to capacity. The week I was there the hotel was booked to capacity almost everyday. This is because of the great location and the great price! The free breakfast was okay and basic. Cereal,oatmeal, pastries, bagel with butter or cream cheese. Some days they had peanut butter and some days they had yogurt. Coffee, tea and hot chocolate was available as well. There is no eating area like most hotels have but you can eat outside near the pool or 2nd floor lounging area on a table. We loved that they had free bikes to borrow. You can borrow them for an hour. There is a long bike path near the beach boardwalk and people are constantly riding on bikes. There are a lot of bike rental places so it was nice to save money by borrowing bikes for free. The only thing is, although they have smaller bikes for kids, there are no bikes with training wheels. The pool was great! I saw them cleaning EVERY morning. And it was slightly heated so it was great to go in to cool off without having the shock of icy water. The hotel is next to a bunch of eating places and stores. Overall, I loved this place. It was a great price for all it offered and the location. I highly recommend!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Wow! What a great review, you pretty much covered all the bases, and we thank you very much for taking the time to put this together. We are excited to hear you had such a nice stay and found everything clean and in good working order. The staff appreciates that their efforts were noticed, I could not hope for a better group of people to work with. Thanks so much for your business, we look forward to seeing you again.
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We have been coming to this oceanfront hotel for many years and I hesitated to write a review because I would like to keep this gem a secret. Leonard and his staff provide exceptional service. The hotel is always immaculate. The location, on the boardwalk and near restaurants, is perfect. After several decades, I have never been disappointed with the amenities or the graciousness of the staff.

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so happy to have you as part of our "family" and we absolutely appreciate the loyalty you have shown to this hotel over the years. I'm not used to seeing my name in reviews but it tickled me to pieces. I have such a wonderful job seeing all of our regulars every year and knowing I rarely have to get involved in things because the staff does such a great job taking care of everyone. Thank you very much for sending in your review, we will see you again next time!
Sioux City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We were in Virginia Beach for two nights and chose Econo Lodge Virginia Beach - On the Ocean based on previous customer reviews. The rate was the most reasonable of other hotels we researched that were right on the beach. When we first checked in, I was immediately impressed with the friendliness of the staff. They answered questions and helped us park our car. For the rest of the day, I continued to be impressed by all of the staff as well as the cleanliness of the hotel. The accommodations aren't fancy, but everything was very clean and comfortable. And the beach was just steps outside, which was the purpose for our stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
What a nice review, thank you so much! We are happy to hear your stay was enjoyable and that the staff's efforts were noticed and appreciated. Most of the people here have been with us for a long time, though we have had a few additions. We all genuinely love the business, getting to know new faces and welcoming back our "regulars" every year. Thanks very much for choosing to stay with us, we hope to see you back very soon!
Taylor Mill, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

You may think staying at this Econo Lodge would leave a lot to be desired, but nothing could be farther from the truth. The moment you "check in," you are treated like "one of the family." The staff are extremely courteous, and go out of their way to accommodate you. The hotel is very well maintained, clean, comfortable not to mention the beautiful view of the ocean from your room.
If ever given the opportunity to return to Virginia Beach, I already know where I will be staying.
Reasonable rates, great staff, clean and a great location, well worth it.
Thank You, Art, Henry, Dan and Angela for making are vacation a great one!

Teena F

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. It is great to hear you enjoyed the hotel and had such a good visit to the beach. The staff you mentioned are tickled to see their names in your review. I am fortunate to have such a great group of people and very pleased to have them recognized for their efforts. We look forward to your return!