“The Little Lodge That Could” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge on the Ocean

Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge on the Ocean to your Saves list
Econo Lodge on the Ocean
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2707 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
San Antonio, Texas
“The Little Lodge That Could”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This small hotel seems to be dwarfed by many other hotels on Atlantic Avenue in Virginia Beach, VA. On closer inspection, I discovered that it actually offers all amenities that its neighbors offer but at a much lower price. Like them, it is directly on the beach but unlike them, every room is truly a spot-on oceanfront room and not more than a few steps from soft sand, a blue sky and surging ocean waves. Instead of a fancy lobby and elevators, guests are treated to free bicycles, a decent continental breakfast and no-fee Internet. The staff is attentive and wonderfully accommodating in every way. Despite being only steps from the beach, this place is clean as a whistle all day long and well maintained. On-site parking is tight but well managed. The rooms are quite large, have nice balconies and are well equipped with every convenience a guest could want to round out a great vacation. By the way, I chose this hotel among dozens of choices, after reading previous reviews in TripAdvisor - it really works.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with kids, the ground floor rooms may make access to the beach with a lot of b...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you so much for such a great review! The staff appreciates the kindness, and we are all very happy you seem to have thoroughly enjoyed your trip. We hope to get you back down here very soon!

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed for a week in Virginia Beach at the Econo Lodge on the Ocean. It was such a great stay! Staff was very friendly and greeted us constantly. The rooms were clean and great. The room was standard. There was 2 beds, 2 chairs and a table, a mini fridge and microwave and the balcony had 2 chairs. We stayed on the 2nd floor and the view was great. I didn't mind walking up one flight of stairs and I had a 4 year old with me. Maybe the 3rd floor might be too much if you have small kids or babies. I chose the 2nd floor for the balcony and the view of the beach. The one thing is the parking lot is small. They have enough spots for 1 car per room. You get a tag to hang in your car so they know you are staying there. Since you are close to the beach they want to make sure random beach goers dont take a spot. But, since the parking lot is very small it can get a bit difficult to maneuver or park. This hotel gets booked to capacity. The week I was there the hotel was booked to capacity almost everyday. This is because of the great location and the great price! The free breakfast was okay and basic. Cereal,oatmeal, pastries, bagel with butter or cream cheese. Some days they had peanut butter and some days they had yogurt. Coffee, tea and hot chocolate was available as well. There is no eating area like most hotels have but you can eat outside near the pool or 2nd floor lounging area on a table. We loved that they had free bikes to borrow. You can borrow them for an hour. There is a long bike path near the beach boardwalk and people are constantly riding on bikes. There are a lot of bike rental places so it was nice to save money by borrowing bikes for free. The only thing is, although they have smaller bikes for kids, there are no bikes with training wheels. The pool was great! I saw them cleaning EVERY morning. And it was slightly heated so it was great to go in to cool off without having the shock of icy water. The hotel is next to a bunch of eating places and stores. Overall, I loved this place. It was a great price for all it offered and the location. I highly recommend!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Wow! What a great review, you pretty much covered all the bases, and we thank you very much for taking the time to put this together. We are excited to hear you had such a nice stay and found everything clean and in good working order. The staff appreciates that their efforts were noticed, I could not hope for a better group of people to work with. Thanks so much for your business, we look forward to seeing you again.
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We have been coming to this oceanfront hotel for many years and I hesitated to write a review because I would like to keep this gem a secret. Leonard and his staff provide exceptional service. The hotel is always immaculate. The location, on the boardwalk and near restaurants, is perfect. After several decades, I have never been disappointed with the amenities or the graciousness of the staff.

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so happy to have you as part of our "family" and we absolutely appreciate the loyalty you have shown to this hotel over the years. I'm not used to seeing my name in reviews but it tickled me to pieces. I have such a wonderful job seeing all of our regulars every year and knowing I rarely have to get involved in things because the staff does such a great job taking care of everyone. Thank you very much for sending in your review, we will see you again next time!
Sioux City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were in Virginia Beach for two nights and chose Econo Lodge Virginia Beach - On the Ocean based on previous customer reviews. The rate was the most reasonable of other hotels we researched that were right on the beach. When we first checked in, I was immediately impressed with the friendliness of the staff. They answered questions and helped us park our car. For the rest of the day, I continued to be impressed by all of the staff as well as the cleanliness of the hotel. The accommodations aren't fancy, but everything was very clean and comfortable. And the beach was just steps outside, which was the purpose for our stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, 1 week ago
What a nice review, thank you so much! We are happy to hear your stay was enjoyable and that the staff's efforts were noticed and appreciated. Most of the people here have been with us for a long time, though we have had a few additions. We all genuinely love the business, getting to know new faces and welcoming back our "regulars" every year. Thanks very much for choosing to stay with us, we hope to see you back very soon!
Taylor Mill, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

You may think staying at this Econo Lodge would leave a lot to be desired, but nothing could be farther from the truth. The moment you "check in," you are treated like "one of the family." The staff are extremely courteous, and go out of their way to accommodate you. The hotel is very well maintained, clean, comfortable not to mention the beautiful view of the ocean from your room.
If ever given the opportunity to return to Virginia Beach, I already know where I will be staying.
Reasonable rates, great staff, clean and a great location, well worth it.
Thank You, Art, Henry, Dan and Angela for making are vacation a great one!

Teena F

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. It is great to hear you enjoyed the hotel and had such a good visit to the beach. The staff you mentioned are tickled to see their names in your review. I am fortunate to have such a great group of people and very pleased to have them recognized for their efforts. We look forward to your return!
North Central, Mass.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I rarely give an "excellent", but feel that this is an excellent property to make a point which this property makes well.

We were there a few days before the 4th of July and area and this hotel were near full, (if not full). Parking, breakfast area, therefore were full capacity.

I like tripadvisor and other review sights to help me set expectations. Some skim them and just look at the score. Based on price, staff and location, this is a #3 of 150 hotel, but this does not mean that it would meet expectations of those looking for a pristine room at a 5-star hotel.

Hotel is one of the oldest on the "strip". Those who like to run around with cameras and take pictures of what they feel are defects will have plenty of ammo. Despite coats of paint, rust spots on door hinges, especially near the ocean are fairly certain sites. AS such, those folks should avoid this hotel.

For others comparing price, location, amenities and staff, this 38 room 3-story Econo Lodge, with no elevator, and yes, tight parking is a winner.

From the beginning GM Leonard quickly answered a pre-arrival question for me and inquired about my arrival time. On site, I was astonished at the smiling staff from counter, to cleaning, to maintenance. Even Dan looked fresh after wresting the 18 foot alligator out of the swimming pool. (Joke on the alligator, no sharks either). I was further astonished at the size of the staff for so few rooms. They fanned out, did their work, and smiled, asking, (not having to be asked) if we needed anything. I've travelled much from very low end to moderately high end all inclusives. I can't think of any US facility where staff has been friendlier.

The tight parking was a challenge for me, in our CR-V with my limited neck/back mobility, but someone could always be found to help. If you are towing, you might have a problem. Unlike other facilities nearby, everything was onsite and easy in/out. Beat walking two blocks every time you needed something.

Location: If you took one of the 12 first floor rooms, you can step out on the boardwalk. If you take one of the upper floor rooms, you trade having to walk around the building to the beach for a great view and slightly more privacy.

Right at 28th street you are about 2/3rds "up" the board walk. Restaurants abound, mixed value there, but something for everyone.
(Boardwalk is about 3 miles long). Included Bicycles are great for getting an overall tour.

AC worked well. Had to turn it down most of the time.

Wifi Seemed weak a few times from our third floor room, but found that multiple routers did show up on the menu, and found one that had a strong signal after experimenting.

Breakfast was slightly below par, I expected the basic cold breakfast from other reviews, but a few more fruit choices would have been nice, and area was tight to navigate. Tables outside by the pool worked well with Dan ensuring the umbrellas were functioning. Staff was great there too, quickly refreshing the coffee and orange juice. Several full service breakfast spots nearby, and we were content with what was included overall.

Price: By joining the free Choice Hotel program, we got a better deal than other "clubs", AAA, discount programs I usually use, but even without the extra discount rooms were about $40-60 per night lower than larger hotels next door. I prefer the smaller hotels, easy in/out, etc, so while this was a great choice for us, others might prefer to go where the overhead is higher.

Again, it's about perception. If you're a value hunter, but want right on the beach, I recommend Econo Lodge. If you're a bit of a connoisseur who doesn't to maybe get slightly jostled at a small cold breakfast bar, needs an elevator, or needs a fresh look everywhere, you probably should look for a hotel that doesn't have "ECONO" in it's name.

Virginia beach is quite a drive for us, but it's a great beach and the area is rich in history from Jamestown, to Yorktown, to Richmond Civil War. We most likely will return and if we do, it won't take me any time at all next time picking my hotel.

Room Tip: No Elevator. First floor rooms open to the beach in the rear. Second/third floor rooms great view o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I often thank a reviewer for taking their time to submit a review, but in this particular case I'm not sure that thank you really says enough! We very much appreciate the honest and very thorough review. We believe our hotel offers one of the best values on the beach and it seems that you would agree. Our people make the difference, and our entire staff will be encouraged that you singled them out for attention. I am fortunate to have such a great team. Thank you very much your business. We look forward to your next visit!
Wadsworth, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My family and I were very pleased with this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and provided great service - I felt that I got to know them on a personal basis over our five night stay. The night manager, especially, was helpful in getting us settled in at 1:30 am after a very long drive.The rooms are not the largest around, but we were surprised that they ran the depth of the building. For our ground floor room, we entered the from the lobby/parking lot through the front door and exited to the boardwalk/beach through the back - very convenient for making a quick trip to the ocean. The one caveat to this facility is the very tight parking area - it is barely big enough to hold all of the guest vehicles. The staff, however, do a great job of managing the arrangement, and we were happy to see private security patrolling the lot at night. Overall, I felt that our money was well spent, and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room - the boardwalk and beach are 30 feet from your door.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. The staff will be happy to read this and appreciate that that their efforts were recognized. We will agree that our parking lot is tight, and glad the staff took care of assisting with getting you parked. The good news on parking is that all our guests have a place on site to park, rather than at a satellite lot a block or more away from the property. We do hope to have you back again look forward to that opportunity. Thank you again!

Been to Econo Lodge on the Ocean? Share your experiences!