“Great value for all the amenities” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge on the Ocean

You added Econo Lodge on the Ocean to your Saves list
Econo Lodge on the Ocean
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2707 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginia
“Great value for all the amenities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband & I stayed here 2 nights for a recent concert we saw at the Farm Bureau Amphitheater. Hotel is ocean front, had FREE bikes to use for an 1 hour (they said if we went over that would be fine since it was the off season) which was wonderful to ride on the boardwalk, they did have a heated pool which was nice actually--I was a little nervous about that, but no nasty sickness to date! The continental bfast wasn't bad--bagels, danishes, cereal, coffee, tea, OJ, milk & they had a basket of apples that I helped myself to as well. The staff was super friendly & helpful. I also recommend riding the FREE shuttle (city bus) to the amphitheater if you are coming down to see a concert. It picks you up 1 block up from the hotel, we waited no time, then you get to go to the amphitheater stress-free since you don't have to deal w/ traffic, then at the end of the concert you meet the bus right outside the gates & it drops you right off outside the hotel. It really was so convenient & easy to use. The room was clean, spacious & well we slept just fine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel over the long weekend (Columbus Day) for only 1 night. I booked this based on the rating level of this hotel in Tripadvisor. It was actually rated as the 3rd best hotel on the ocean in some sites. So my review will take into consideration what this place is. It is a budget hotel. Do not book here thinking that you are going to be getting something equivalent to a Holiday Inn Express or a Hampton Suites. You basically get what you pay for. In this case, the staff are friendly and helpful, the cost was low ($90 with taxes in) and the rooms are clean. But it is very no frills. On the night that we stayed, there was a stiff wind blowing in from the ocean which was more than the door seals could handle. The heater seemed to push out cold air no matter what setting we selected so we basically turned it off, wore sweaters under the covers. There were no cups visible in the bathroom - we did notice some plastic cups by the fridge/microwave stand which is beside the coat/closet. But this was as we were checking out.

I under stand that this is a family run business trying to compete with the big corporations and is a bit of a throw-back to a simpler time for hoteliers. This would be great for a small family here for a beach weekend - spending little time in the room.

Free wireless internet is a basic - some of the larger chains like the 4 Seasons can learn from the Econo Lodge. But a return visit is not in my future for this hotel. I'm not particularly picky and the the price was right, but when you are on a romantic getaway the last thing you want to worry about is the smell of disinfectant, tired paint covering water damage and dealing with temperature fluctuations. Like I said, it is what it is.

Room Tip: Not sure - I had a 3rd floor room. Good view of the beach, but too windy/rainy to enjoy. If the w...
Salisbury, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I love this hotel. Talk about value! The rooms are immaculate, spacious, and comfortable. In addition to the other amenities mentioned in other reviews, they have free wireless internet, and a nice moderate sized table with two comfortable chairs in the sitting area. We also appreciate the clean chairs and table on the patios. If an elevator is not a "must" stay here.

• Stayed March 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

No frills, off season cost 71.10 a night, non-weekend rate. Balcony faces the ocean. Staff, pleasant and helpful. Older/smaller building needs some painting. Newer bedding and decor would be nice. You get daily continental breakfast of bagels, rolls, coffee and orange juice. Daily bike use without charge. Enjoyed our stay.

Ocean City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

From the moment I pulled into the parking lot, until the moment I left this hotel, I had a completely 100% positive stay.
There's no bells-and-whistles here, just a clean, comfortable, friendly beachfront resort hotel.
As I explored Va Beach during my stay, I actually felt sorry for those who may have chosen one of the high end, high-rise, high-ticket hotels along the beachfront. I thought about them when I was able to just walk out of my ground-floor room directly onto the boardwalk and beach, or just sit on my patio and relax, and probably for a third of what they were paying.
Obviously, people look for different things in a hotel while on a vacation (I was on a one-day getaway). For me, it supplied a perfect, relaxing experience.
Centrally located amid the 'action', it was an easy walk to many shops and restaurants.
One other thing needs to be noted: The staff was as friendly and helpful as you could ever imagine. From the front desk to housekeeping, everyone seemed to want to help you have a good stay. They seemed to take pride in their hotel, as they should. It's a winner.
Heated pool; free bikes; and free (basic) continental breakfast.
We are already looking forward to our next visit - and a longer stay - next time.

(Here's a tip: You can easily turn your basic, comfortable room into a fine-dining restaurant. There's a Harris-Teeter right around the corner. Go shopping there, get creative on the microwave, and have a gourmet lunch on your patio. If you're with someone you love, don't forget the candle!)

Room Tip: Need a view of the beach? Ask for a 2nd or 3rd floor. The ground floor has an amazing view of the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Luray
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Econo Lodge for the Neptune Festival! The room was clean and attractive and oceanfront. Each staff member was helpful and very welcoming. One staff member moved a cone so we could park close to the building late in the evening, and the next morning he offered to carry our luggage to our car. The breakfast was a good start to the day, and we didn't have to go out. Art at the front desk was knowledgeable and fun to talk to.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The hotel and our room where very clean.Employees where pleasant and very helpful. Morning breakfast was a fast way to start your day with juice, bagels, Danish, coffee, cereal, and more. It was wonderful waking up to the ocean. The only bad thing was jets flying very frequently were very,very noisy. But that was not their fault.

Room Tip: We chose a third floor room so we would not hear people above us.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge on the Ocean? Share your experiences!