“Good hotel, awful restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Good hotel, awful restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night whilst in business, after checking in, coach loads of teenagers piled into the hotel, running up and down hall ways with water guns, shouting from room to room. I went to reception and asked if there was a floor with no teenagers on it! They promptly found me another room and were very apologetic, giving me free breakfast. The rooms are all clean and have ocean views. We went to the restaurant for breakfast and as usual were the only people in it. I wouldn't have had breakfast other than I had a free one! The wait was as usual very long, I do not know how a kitchen takes so long to poach 2 eggs (30 minutes), the restaurant lets the hotel down.

Room Tip: Good hotel, breakfast elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for the honest feedback about the hotel and restaurant. We are always looking for comments so that we can improve services and quality provided to each and every guest. This information will be shared with the entire hotel team at our rally on April 26th. Also, on May 3rd we have planned a great openning of our Sip Sip restaurant/bar. There will be live music, new menu and fun specials for the whole family so if you are nearby please stop in and join in the fun.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Eaton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a great hotel along the beach. You look out your room right into the ocean. The boardwalk runs right beneath you. Upon arrival I was greeted by Amanda. She was just cordial at first but then became a really nice person to meet. She helped me find a place to get delivery from since I had a late check in. The food from the place she recommended was great and just right to have late at night. The next day I asked about attractions to see or avoid and also for the best restaurants. This time I was helped by both Jeanette and Amanda. Again their recommendations were excellent. I plugged the coffee pot in and it started smoking. I unplugged it and left and forgot to tell the desk. However, on my return the old one was sitting outside my door and a new one had replaced it. The housekeeping staff is great I did not have to ask for replacement of any washcloths, towels, soap or anything. The room was exceptionally clean. Glass on doors was clean, even the baseboard were clean and the bathroom was spotless. This has been an excellent stay and recommend this particular Holiday Inn very highly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
onur g, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Oceanside for your stay at beautiful Virginia Beach Oceanfront. All your nice words about our team members especially for our excellent housekeeping department will be certainly forwarded to them at our next employee rally. We as a front desk team are putting strong effort to research area restaurants and menus to be able to recommend the best places on the beach area to our guests. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to provide you better stay next time.

Onur Guduk
Front Desk Manager
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I found this hotel to be so accommodating and relaxing that I extended my stay for an extra day. Tim Payne in the Dining Room, and Crystal at the Lobby front desk were Exemplary Employees who did everything possible to make my stay (and that of others) magnificent.

Room Tip: I treasured my room because it was away from children. Except for some roudy late night guests, the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
onur g, Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your noce comments about our hotel and team members. We are greatly appreciated to you for choosing Holiday Inn Oceanside for your spring break. All the great words you wrote above are excellent motivation for us to improve our service quality. We will look forward to see you again at our property. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to make your stay any better at the future.
Kindest Regards;

Onur Guduk
Front Desk Manager
Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I love to go on vacation and get great service. That's how it was at this wonderful oceanfront hotel.

Very nice and clean rooms with interior corridors. Nice patio with cheap plastic chairs. Curtains are thick and very good at keeping out the rising sun. As a woman a felt very safe at this hotel as well as walking around on the Boardwalk. This Holiday Inn has a much better location than the other one that's north of the center of the fun stuff.

Now for the service, wow I was blown away at the wonderful front desk staff, maintenance workers, housekeepers really anyone who works here. Every question was answered, I kept deactivating my key and they kept fixing it with a smile. They helped me find the nearest Waffle House so I could get a Pecan Waffle.

Stay here if you want 5 star service at an affordable price with oceanfront room.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thanks for the great comments about the staff and hotel. We strive to be the best on the beach front since there are many choices. We are cuurently working on a few exciting features for the summer months which include receptions for our PC members.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Typically I'm not a fan of Holiday Inn and actually I don't think I've stayed in one since high school. My company booked me here for the weekend they also booked the boardrooms where I had to give a speech and meet with clients. From the moment I walked in Onur Guduck, the front desk manager was absolutely wonderful. I had so many problems with MY company not sending me the correct information, Onur and a young man named Tim were amazing every step of the way. From printing information,locating packages, setting up the boardrooms, to making sure I had breakfast in the morning. Every time I turned my head the staff were there to help. I've stayed at hundreds of 4 & 5star hotels, it is very seldom the staff is this amazing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for those kind words about the staff and I will be thanking Onur and Tim during our staff meeting today. We hope that anytime you plan on returning to the beach we can be your home.
Great Falls, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

As veterans of many trips to VA Beach for kids' sports events, we've stayed at a lot of the hotels there. The Holiday Inn Oceanside is perfectly fine. While there's nothing particularly special about it, there's also nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there if some of the other hotels I like better were fully booked. The hotel seems to have received a facelift, which helps. The rooms are reasonably spacious and all have a full ocean view. Our room was also clean and odor free, which is a must. The HVAC was a bit noisy. We also had a weird issue with pay-per-view every time we used it: any show we tried to watch would stop with just minutes left and wouldn't restart for the rest of the night. Did Django and his wife escape? What happended to the Argo "actors"? We had to look up the endings on-line. The front desk took the charges off immediately. They also didn't seem too surprised when we told them about the problem, which suggests that it may not be uncommon. On a very big upside, all of the staff we interacted with went out of their way to be friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
The feedback that you have given us is very helpful and will be shared with the team during today's staff meeting. The Pay per View movie system was not working properly for two days but we have resolved the issue that caused the problem. Guest service is what we pride ourselves on and ensuring every guest returning to the beach stays at the Oceanside Holiday Inn.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had the best stay at this hotel yet. The woman at the front desk was so welcoming and friendly. It was quite a noticeable change from our previous visits. I wish I could remember her name, but I believe it started with a J (tripadvisor would not allow me to leave this review so close to our last visit). Y'all need her enthusiasm for all of your shifts. After checking in we came down to ask her for directions and she was very helpful. The hotel room was nice, clean, and modern. We looked at the menu for the hotel restaurant but it wasnt what we were looking for that evening. When we checked out the next day we ran into one of the employees who we had issues with before. She is still terrible. I think she was on the housekeeping staff based upon the uniform. It would be nice if she could spend a day with the lady who checked us in. This hotel needs staff that doesnt do double duty. Some of that may be due to the fact we went off-season every time and business is slower. Anyway we are overall very pleased that this hotel's front desk has improved greatly and I hope they continue to grow.

Room Tip: highest floor possible!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for the honest feedback since that is the only way we can improve our service that we provide every guest. The information on Trip Advisor along with all other social media feedback about the hotel and staff is shared with the entire team on a daily and weekly basis. Our goal is to always be improving where ever we can. Again thank you.

Been to Holiday Inn Oceanside Virginia Beach? Share your experiences!