“Will definitely return” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 Atlantic Avenue, 36th Street & Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #23 of 114 hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dumfries, Virginia
“Will definitely return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

The oceanfront one bedroom was perfect for two teenage girls and two adults. We had a cabana room on the second floor overlooking the pool. I had wanted a tower room but overlooking the pool ended up being really nice. We had a great view of the ocean, the dolphins, the boardwalk. The pool was a nice place to hang out a couple afternoons, though on the weekends there are a lot of little kids. That didn't really bother us. The poolside drink and food service was a nice touch.
The beds were really comfortable, and the sofa bed was just fine for one person. Everything was immaculate when we checked in, and there was no musty smell. The bathroom was plenty big for four females.
We loved the location at the northern end. The ambiance was very family oriented, with music, restaurants and bars just a block down.
Everyone at the hotel was so nice and accommodating. I really have no negative comments, and we'd love to go back!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. I'm so happy everything was to your liking, and that you and your family had a great time. We can't wait to see you again in the future.

633 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This property underwent a remodel not long ago. So many improvements! Fitness center is larger, better location. Decor is updated, looks fresh, in good repair.
This location is great for people wanting to take advantage of the beach location. Easy access to beach, boardwalk, pool, restaurants and shopping. Parking was easy in the new structure.
Staff was very accommodating and service-oriented with us.
We liked the convenience of the refrigerator and microwave in the room. Our room was surprisingly quiet.
Although we didn't try it, there's a great option for ordering a packed lunch to take with you for the day. $12 gets you a choice of sandwich, chips, whole fruit, cookie and a drink packed in an insulated bag. $5 off if you return the bag. Just order the night prior, pick up after 10 am. Sounds like a great idea to me.
On the flip side, we stayed during peak occupancy. If you do the same, expect to wait awhile for the elevators. Even the staff struggled. Isn't there a freight elevator? Bathrooms are cramped when compared to newer properties. Beach chairs, cabanas and umbrellas are available for rent. Be prepared to shell out serious cash. No charging. 2 chairs and an umbrella were $39.
If you go, enjoy all this property and location have to offer. Use plenty of sunscreen, or you'll learn the location of the nearest walgreens.

Room Tip: We had a city view room. I'm sure an ocean view would have been great. We just booked late. Watc...
Green Features: You can request no housekeeping and will receive a credit. You can also opt in/out of clean linens. Would be nice to have better places to hang wet towels, though, if we wanted to reuse them.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank for your great comments. I'm happy you had a good stay. I hope that means we will get to see you and your family again.
NY, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My family (myself, husband, and kids ages 2 and 4) stayed here June 20th-23rd and I have nothing but positive things to say about the hotel! The staff went above and beyond when it came to customer service and the hotel manager (Olivia) was amazing when we ran into some issues regarding our reservation on the Sheraton website. The hotel is beautiful and our room (oceanfront 1 bedroom) was perfect for our family of 4. The housekeeping staff did a wonderful job, too. We ate at Fusion for lunch one day and it was great.

The only possible "con" of the hotel that I can think of is that the pools were cold....borderline not usable. There were still some people that braved the cold water and went in - but certainly not me! My husband and son went to the indoor pool twice and they said that one time the pool was absolutely freezing and the 2nd time it was "better".

With that being said, this hotel is still top notch in my book and we will certainly become return guests!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I'm happy Olivia and our staff were able to make your stay a good one. I apologize the indoor pool wasn't very warm. It was supposed to heated. The outdoor pool is not heated at anytime. It's nice you had a great time, and we can't wait to see you again.
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We picked this hotel because of the birthday rate that was offered, pay the last to digits of your birthday year for 2 days of stay with one paid day. The program worked pretty good for us, the only glitch with the promotion was we were billed at the full rate, I get email alerts whenever my credit card is used over certain amounts. So I was able to get an alert while still at the hotel and Jada and Becca at the front desk worked the problem out for us in just a few minutes. The front desk staff that helped me on the trip were all outstanding! Jada, Becca, and Shardae great job!

At check in one of our two rooms wasn't ready yet. As we had been travelling for a long time we opted not to wait on that room to be prepared. Jada offered us two other rooms on the 5th floor and we took those. When we got there the rooms were just above the air conditioning units for the lower part of the hotel. Way to noisy! If you stay at the Sheraton I recommend the North end of the hotel if your getting a partial ocean view. those rooms look out over an ally to the beach and the pool of the adjacent hotel. I went back down to talk with Jada about different rooms. She had two rooms side by side on the 8th floor we could have. We took those two, but they were above the A/C units also, but where high enough that with the window closed you didn't hear the units and they were tolearable with the windows open. If your room is on the south side of the hotel, go for higher rooms. I feel that if I didn't want the rooms on the 8th floor Jada would have worked to find me two more rooms and smile the whole time she was working on it.

There is free parking, with valet service if you want it. The parking garage is across the street from the hotel.

As there is no issues at all with anything in the hotel, clean, quiet a/c in the room, all the staff is friendly and helpful. Any problems I had were resolved quickly and professionally.

I would stay here the next time I come to Virginia Beach.

Room Tip: I suggest rooms on the North end of the hotel if you are getting a partial ocean view room. There ar...
Green Features: I was told if you reuse the bedding you get points added to your rewards card. I have not checked the rewards points to see if that happened or not yet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you telling us about your stay. I'm sorry your card was over authorized, but it's great to hear Bekah, Jada, and Shadae were able to assist you. It's always great to hear nice things about our employees. I'm extremely happy we will get to see your family again.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

From the beginning of our stay until the end of our stay everything was so comfortable. Check in was smooth, finding everything was easy and simple. Whenever we needed something the staff was very helpful and efficient in getting it to us. The views were amazing we had an oceanfront overlooking the pool which was noisy from the fountain in the middle of the pool however they shut it at 11 pm - 8am. The best part is how well sealed the porch doors were when we wanted quiet we just shut the doors and you had no idea there was any noise going on outside. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a hassle free relaxing stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to tell us about your stay. I'm glad you had such a great time while you were here. We can't wait to see you again.
Goochland, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I walked up to the front desk to check in bearing the weight of a self-inflicted problem. The front desk folks would have been completely reasonable to have walked away from me. No, they didn't walk away....they took on the burden of my problem.....and then, they solved if for me. I am grateful for this service above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you!

Room Tip: Ocean front! You can't go wrong!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for telling us about your trip to our hotel. I'm very glad to hear our front desk team were able to help you in such a great way. I hope this means we get to see you again in the future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel because he was attending a convention being held there. I just went along for a vacation. We haven't stayed in a Sheraton hotel in years and can't say that this experience will make us choose Sheraton again.

The hotel is right on the boardwalk and is nicely decorated, very clean, with beach side pool and a nice restaurant overlooking the board walk. They have a parking garage across the street where you can either self park or have your car valet parked.

When we checked in the desk attendant asked us if we had a dog. We answered no and didn't think much about it. Our room was an oceanfront double queen. Very nice, clean with a nice desk set up with extra plugs. When I saw the extra plug, internet plate built in to the dresser/desk unit, I was hoping for built in USB ports, but they didn't have them. The desk chair was very comfortable. There as another comfortable side chair in the room with a cool little pullout hassock.

The bathroom was very very small with terrible lighting. I had to do my make up out in the main room. Luckily they have a nice large mirror over the desk. The bathroom also had no fan, not good with a small bathroom.

The first day we were there we noticed that there were dogs on our floor. We knew that the hotel was "pet friendly" , but we were surprised to see them on our floor. We didn't hear any while in our room so we didn't worry about it. On our third night of 5, we realized that there was a very loud dog in the room next door. I went online to see what the pet policy actually was and saw that we had been placed on the pet floor!! We asked at the front desk if it was normal for them to place a person with no pet..on the pet floor. They said no, the person checking us in made a mistake and offered us a selection of other rooms we could move to. We thought about it but it was just too much grief to move at that point. Based on the fact that the barking in that room stopped..and when we were out on our balcony we could see a small dog that sounded exactly like the one that had been next to our room.. down on a balcony on the 2nd floor (where pets are not allowed??) .. we think that the desk moved them. I find it odd that if they did do that, they never called us to tell us that they moved them or at least to offer us some extra points in compensation. That night a family with another very loud dog moved in on the other side of us. So my recommendation is that if you do not bring a pet..do NOT let them put you on the third floor.

My other issue involved room service. When staying in other hotels, my husband I often will put the privacy card out while we run down to breakfast and then once we come back to the room we take the card off. We've never run in to a problem when doing that. This time it was getting later and later and no one had done our room. I heard the woman in the room next door and I opened the door and said that I was just checking that she was still going to do our room. She told me that since we had the card out in the morning ( between 9:30-10:30 am) .. she took that as us meaning we didn't want any room service at all. Then rather than just offering to at least take our garbage, she went on a whining rant about Sunday being busy and that she was the only one on our floor..she went on about her process using hotel staff speak that I didn't even know ( "I check the D&Ds" ?? )..blah blah. I wanted to say "That's not MY problem". She ended up taking our garbage and giving us clean towels, however that experience made us not put the privacy card out at all while we went down for breakfast. We never keep it out for very long and not in to the after noon and still expect service. I'm talking about less than an hour in the morning. I have never before stayed in a hotel where the cleaning staff didn't come back and check to see if we wanted service later.

There is a breakfast buffet that was pretty good. The cost is $13 and includes the buffet plus coffee and juice. The scrambled eggs ( the only eggs available daily) were not dried out. There was a selection of meats. The first morning there was even a turkey sausage, but that wasn't offered the rest of the week. I wish they had that offered every day. There was a selection of cereal and yogurt. The fruit bowls were pretty sad looking. One half of a strawberry and some melon and pineapple. One morning ours was frozen..which probably explains why they look sad. There are some bread choices including bread and bagels that can be toasted, and a few pastries and muffins. There are a la cart breakfast menu items you can choose in stead of the buffet, however they are so expensive that with a cup of coffee and juice, you would quickly go over the price of the buffet.

All in all it's a nice hotel with in walking distance of a few shops and restaurants. If you don't mind a longer walk, you can easily get to many more shops and restaurants further down the strip. The rooms are clean and nice with acceptable bathrooms.

Room Tip: The third floor is the PET floor. You do NOT want to be there unless you have a pet.
Green Features: The Green Service seemed as if it is an "all or nothing" green policy meaning no cleaning service at all. Starwoods Preferred members can get 500 pts per night for choosing this.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. As you say our hotel is a dog friendly hotel. We try to keep the dog families on the 3rd, but in truth we also use the 4th floor as over flow when need be. We do require our pet owners to sign a waiver that provides us with their phone number to contact them by. We do this just in case the dogs bark and bother the guests on the floor. We do understand that not all our guests enjoy the dogs. Thank you for telling us about the housekeeping service. Your comments have been passed onto our housekeeping manager so that she can better train the housekeeper on that floor. Your comments regarding breakfast have been noted by the head chef in the kitchen. We appreciate all feedback because it helps us improve our service. We most certainly can't wait to see you and your family in the future.

Been to Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!