“Service staff was great and dealt with local hiccups well.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 Atlantic Avenue, 36th Street & Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #27 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
“Service staff was great and dealt with local hiccups well.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Staff were exceptionally customer service oriented. From the valet to the bartender, all staff were polite and seemed to predict my needs. Service solved problems with laundry that was sent out to an outside service well. It did not arrive as expected. The staff resolved it as best as possible and made extra efforts to make my stay enjoyable. Restaurant staff were exceptional. All staff were friendly and customer service oriented.

I plan to return and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Lauren R, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
TerryTravel42, I couldn’t be more pleased on how well our staff impressed you throughout your stay. We strive blow away each one of our guest with our customer service attention to detail. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

599 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've noticed this classy looking property on the Va Bch Boardwalk for a long time and finally decided to give it a try. The weather forecast was for sunny and low 70's; the reality was dense fog and 50-ish. But a weekend away was still a good idea. I booked a last-minute suite. The public areas of this Sheraton are under renovation and the work in progress looks very classy so this off-season project didn't bother me at all. What did bother me were several little things. First of all, in a fairly empty hotel, I don't appreciate being assigned a handicapped room. Perhaps I look decrepit but I'm not there yet--being asked would have been nice. I don't have much against such rooms and the PDA height toilet is a plus but I detest those open (rimless) showers. I don't care what you do, the whole bathroom floods. Also, I opted for the "green" program where towels and sheets wouldn't be replaced. It wasn't made clear that that meant no maid service at all. No bed making, no trash emptied, no mopping of the flooded bathroom, and no restock of the toiletries or coffee bar (which was meagerly stocked to begin with. One teabag in a suite for 2 nights! tsk tsk) My biggest concern: on my first evening I dined in the very nice restaurant and, risking my ancestors' wrath, had the "Pork Ribeye". It was good but nothing I would have ordered again. On the second night, I ordered from the Room Service Menu: "Ribeye", described as a "chargrilled ribeye with horseradish butter, roasted potatoes, and vegetables". To me, that says "BEEF". What came was the identical meal I had the night before. An observant Jew would have been appalled! I complained but opted to eat it because it was getting late and I was hungry. But I was really annoyed! To compensate me, the Room Service manager sent up a coupon for a free buffet breakfast in the restaurant. She assured me it was impressive and I would enjoy it. The next morning I went down ready to take full advantage. "Sorry sir. We don't have the buffet on Saturdays". I got a menu breakfast free but I was really jonesing for the breakfast buffet. Bottom line, a nice hotel in a nice location with the friendly staff one expects in Tidewater Virginia but the little annoyances really left me with a poor impression. A big plus for the Sheraton Oceanfront: the Concierge/Valet gentleman on my arrival was a delight. It was somewhat downhill from there.

Room Tip: As far as I know, all rooms are Oceanfront and up to Sheraton standards.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Lauren R, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
CPCIC, Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I want to apologize that we fail to meet your expectations of our property. During the construction of our Cabana wing where all the suites are located we made all king suites ADA compliant. The Starwood Green Choice program allows for guests to decline housekeeping services for either a $5 food and beverage credit or 500 Starwood bonus points. For our guests that choose this program guest services is always a phone call away to assist with any problems. We did discover that some of our room service menus had not been replace when the Aqua Vi menu change we do apologize and that has been corrected. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at lreagan@sheratonvirginiabeach.com
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We brought our 40 lb dog here for some winter time romping on the beach. During the off season, your dog can frolick on the beach with you. While the temperatures weren't very high, we still managed to enjoy our stay here. We checked into a pet friendly room, with no extra fee or deposit to bring your pet here. The property is going under some renovations, but the service was not lacking. We ordered room service a few times because we had our dog with us and they often made helpful suggestions. When we ordered to go food, the bartender brought it up to our room for us!

The pool was refreshing, and enjoyable after a day on the beach and working out. The health club was probably one of the nicer hotel gyms I have seen in a while. The equipment is fairly new and is in a nice sized room so if someone is stretching you don't have to step over them.

We hope to return again, but it always depends upon the rate of the property!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Spicybdc, I’m glad to hear your dog had a blast letting loose on the beach. During the first phase of renovations we relocated the fitness facilities to our beach level for you to enjoy a run on the treadmill while looking out to the beach. We look forward to having you back again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The hotel is located on the beach with a breathtaking view of the Ocean. My room was Ocean view. All rooms have balconies that are large. The room decor was very calming and inviting. The bed was very comfortable. The staff were accomodating and focused on making guests stay a wonderfully event. The room service was excellent and the food was great.The room service was prompt. The hotel as a whole was beautiful. I enjoyed watching the people on the beach and the ocean waves crashing to the shore. The front desk staff were very professional, authentic, pleasant, and informative. This hotel surpassed all my expectations for a comfortable stay. The free valet parking is a definitely plus. I wll stay there again on my next trip to Virginia Beach, VA. I appreciated the service provided to me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lauren R, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
I2cul8er, Thank you! I’m glad to hear that every department was able to empress you during your stay. The owners have taking the time and resources to remodel every guest room last year which has create a comforting space for our guest during their time here. We welcome you back when ever your travels bring you back to VA Beach.
Ambridge PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I was so pleased with just about everything this hotel had to offer us- we are planning a return trip this summer.
First things first, as Starwood Members, you cannot beat the value for Starwood points. We were upgraded by a very nice front desk gentleman and, since we arrived in the morning, were called, as promised, when our room was ready- well before check in time.
We did meet the famous Marcus later that day, he was also a nice and helpful young man.
Location, pools, gym, room, parking- all wonderful! We did not have an opportunity to try the Aqua Vi, but will likely do so on our next visit. I also liked that there were a few kids activites. Only having one child, we look forward to letting him have fun with kids his own age when we are away and a kids club helps facilitate that.
Not a fancy place, but comfortable, and the service was top-notch. The only negative was the indoor pool and hot tub needed a little attention- not as clean as I like.
We loved our stay! See you soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Carebear0826, Thank you for your praises! I’m glad we were able to accommodate all your needs during our off season and look forward to having you back during the summer. One difference you will note on your return is the Aqua Vi is currently being remodeled and will have a grand reopening as Fusion! Have a great rest of you winter and we will be seeing you soon!
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Sheraton at the Virginia Beach ocean/boardwalk has a great location. My room, a traditional king, was spacious and well appointed. The doorman was very courteous and helpful on arrival. However: no hot water in the bathroom sink, the electrical outlet by the desk did not work. These two were handled the same day by pleasant staff. The "guest services" number on the in-room phone did not answer during my 4 day stay. I called the central number to report the room problems and the phone issue and was promised attention would be given. The furniture is scarred and could be touched up to good effect. Housekeeping was sloppy- bed poorly made, teas and flimsy plastic water glasses not replaced. Construction in lobby and first floor area not reported on site when made reservations. No discount given, no explanation. Restaurant unwelcoming; no one at stand, no one visible in restaurant/bar, mechanical clanging noise over the ambient music. Left immediately for off site restaurant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Lauren R, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Mw4_10, I want to apologize for the less than satisfactory stay that you had with us. All of your housekeeping comments have been passed along to the Executive Housekeeper to ensure that proper retraining takes place within that department. We have updated our website with a more visible announcement that shows we are currently doing renovations. We have also made attempts to contact every guest at least two days prior to arrival who have either a phone number or email attached to their reservation. If you have any more questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact me at lreagan@sheratonvirginiabeach.com
St. John`s, NL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights over Thanksgiving 2012.Like most of the hotels at OceanFront it is an older Hotel which has been undergoing refurbishment.We were assigned a room in a refurbished wing,it had a functional kitchen and a separate sitting area,a separate bedroom with a comfortable King Bed,flat screen TV in both rooms,and walk out Balcony from both rooms.Internet is extra as is mandatory valet parking.We had room service on thanksgiving evening which wasn't bad.Including Internet and parking it cost us close to $150.00 per night,not really good value for Virginia Beach in late November.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Markie23, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the new Cabana wing of the hotel that we constructed last fall. I want to take a moment to apologize for the miscommunication our internet is complimentary for all of our guests as is our valet parking. If you have any more questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact me at lreagan@sheratonvirginiabeach.com

Been to Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!