“great fall weekend at the beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel

You added Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 Atlantic Avenue, 36th Street & Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #23 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salem, VA
“great fall weekend at the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I visited Virginia Beach with colleagues for a meeting, and we really enjoyed the Sheraton on the beach. It was November, cool but sunny, and we walked on the beach in the morning, visited Norfolk Botanical Garden and Dismal Swamp, ate delicious Italian food at Sophia's a block away, and were very impressed with the helpful staff. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms have nice balconies.... not all of us had such a room, but we gathered there!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lauren R, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Mama01Salem, Thank you for a great review! I’m glad the chilly weather this time of year didn’t prevent you from enjoying not only the beach but other local attractions further inland. Always great to hear that our staff was helpful.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Arlington, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a great time at this hotel! I loved the fact that it was pet friendly as well! When we first arrived, the front desk (Lauren) and staff were extremely friendly and warm. They advised us of the local weather conditions, and how nice of a day it would be the next day. They provided visitor guides and offered local suggestions. I was very comfortable walking in.

The lobby was nice and clean, and the entire property was clean! We went into our pet friendly room and it was spectacular! Our beagle roamed around and I was so happy that the room was fitting for both my boyfriend and I, as well as the dog. :) (Did I mention they even carry Ceasar wet dog food in case your pup is a little extra hungry like ours was :) )

Room service was great. The dinner dish I ordered was one of the best tasting room services I've had. It had a creamy sauce loaded over the chicken with delicious potatoes. Also ordered a molten chocolate ice cream and it was scrumptious! :)

We opened the door of our oceanfront view to hear the sounds of the ocean. Our beagle, Linus walked out onto the patio and was fascinated! He has never been to the ocean before.

We even strolled down to the beach and let him play in the sand. He felt so free and happy. So did we! We walked along the boardwalk hand in hand. It was a very great stay!

I cannot wait to visit Sheraton in VA Beach again! Thank you for the great stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Donna R, Thank you for all the kind words! I’m happy to hear that the entire staff from front desk to housekeeping blew you away with service. We can’t wait to have Linus and yourself return we really enjoy when we have our four legged friends in house.
Deadwood, SD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Great staff- very friendly and helpful. Love that parking is free!! Room, even with partial view, has a nice view. Free WiFi is also nice. The lounge area is comfortable and has a nice view during the day.

• Stayed November 2012
Brett D, Love to hear from a guest who appreciates the free parking both valet and self. We hope travels bring you to our area again. Please feel free to contact me before your next stay and we can try and get a full oceanfront view for your next stay.
Clemson, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My recent stay at the Oceanfront Sheraton was excellent. The highlight though was the service at the hotel. All staff I interacted with was cheerful, friendly, and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel. The rooms had obviously been newly remodeled and were quite comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lauren R, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Sarah W, Thank you for the great review. I’m happy to hear that our service alone was the highlight of your trip. We look forward to serving you again on your next trip to Virginia Beach!
Bellevue, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here in October, 2012. The hotel has been recently re-done. For all intents and purposes it is a brand new hotel. It is right on the beach. The room was large, bright, comfortable and well-furnished, and included a refrigerator and microwave. The breakfast, included, was excellent. One had the choice of a buffet, or ordering from a full menu. I would stay here again without a moment's hesitation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lauren R, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Robert633, Thank you for taking notice of all the hard work we have put into renovating the property. We look forward to having you back again after our second phase of renovations you can experience all of our new public spaces.
Gloucester City, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

When I wrote most of this we had just gotten back from The Sheraton Oceanfront Virginia Beach. Let me start by saying that we have been going to this hotel on and off for the last eight years, so I would say I’m pretty knowledgeable of the hotel and the problems that were taking place. We stayed from June 29 to July 7, 2012. Unlike most we had the opportunity to stay in three rooms. Our choice. Our first room was one of the cabana rooms. They have added balconies which made the rooms maybe six inches to a foot shorter. Not a huge difference other than the fact that you now have a balcony. It's quite a nice trade off from the old rooms with just floor to ceiling windows, if you ask me. We spent one night in this room.
For the next three nights we stayed in one of the king handicapped suites. It's very nice with 2 rooms overlooking the pool. Two problems with this room, one, no chest of drawers (the hotel is working on figuring this one out), but we just put the pillows on the shelf under one of the nightstands and used the shelf in the closet to put our clothes on to unpack, and the fact that it sits over the pool. The cabana rooms are great for families, but if you are older or wanting to get away from the kids and noise for any length of time I do not recommend these rooms. Do not get me wrong we really enjoyed the room, (the room itself was very quiet with the door closed) and if you do not want to use your balcony during peak summer dates I would jump at that room again.
For the final four nights we checked into a tower oceanfront room. Ahh! , A balcony that we could sit out on and not listening to the screaming kids. The rooms have been remodeled and are very inviting. The bathrooms did not change that much, but I found the shelf that had been added under the sink much nicer than the metal racks that used to be there. By the way for the people that are complaining the balconies are not safe, take another look. They are made of metal and very strong. Trust me I have seen a lot of children and teenagers in the hotel over my stays there.
I love the pool. It is now a straight pool with a fountain in the middle. Where it is located, it now gets a great deal of sun, much more than before, so it is warm enough to get into and swim in. Not one child had a complaint about the pool the entire time we were there. They were in it from 10AM until 10PM. The one thing the hotel could do is make some adult only time for the pool. No children.
Mind you I have grown children and a grandchild. My children were never allowed to behave in the way that many parents allowed their children to behave. Screaming and yelling in the dining room to the point that they were asked twice to take the child out of the dining room, but the parents were too self centered and absorbed to care about all the other people that were paying their way as well. But the hotel cannot be blamed for this.
Many thanks for another great vacation go out to too many people for me to count, but at the bar Patty is the best with Skip a short distance behind. We enjoyed all the bartenders but go way back with these two. The front desk did a wonderful job accommodating us and our wanting to change rooms. Especially Olivia, poor woman probably wishes I would never come back. The management and staff of this hotel really goes out of their way to make it a great vacation, summer, fall, winter or spring. Thanks for making it a special place to visit.

Room Tip: If you want to sit on the balconey and really enjoy the sound of the ocean, ask for a room in the to...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lynrichsr, Thank you for your loyalty to the hotel being that you have been repeat guest for so many years. All of your comments and reviews on our several room types are appreciated. We have been able to work out all the kinks in the new design of our guest suites with the addition of dressers. I’m glad to hear that you like all of the renovations that we have done to the rooms and pool. With your trip for next summer you will be able to experience the completion of our second phase which includes all of the public spaces within the hotel and the addition of a parking garage.
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed three nights at the Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel (Virginia Beach) in connection with a conference.

The bed was fine and the stay was not at all an unpleasant experience, however the hotel looked a little old and worn down, most of the personnel were there for the money - not for the guest and the gym is really not that exciting.

My colleagues stayed at the Hilton 3 minutes down the street. All though the Hilton is also not a new hotel it seemed to be in a better shape, the personnel seemed more energetic and the activity level / atmosphere seemed more vibrant.

The only very good experience from the Sheraton was the view to group of dolphins playing in the ocean right outside the breakfast restaurant. Had they not showed up then I would have rated the Sheraton 1-notch lower.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lauren R, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hbj1973, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I do apologize that our service fell short of your expectations this gives us an opportunity to retrain our staff to better serve the guest. I do invite you back again to stay with us hopefully the dolphins will be back out in the ocean playing.

Been to Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!