“"THE BEST" NOTHING WILL COMPARE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 Atlantic Avenue, 36th Street & Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #27 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Hopwood, Pennsylvania
“"THE BEST" NOTHING WILL COMPARE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

My family and I have had the pleasure of spending one of the most enjoyable weeks in VA beach at this beautiful , enchanted hotels. I should have entiteled this no other staff will compare or could hold a candle to these folks. My husband and I have been going to VA beach for 13 years now , there is not a resort or hotel that has the charm and the staff of gold like the Sheraton. We feel it was a pleasure to be treated like family by Skip , De . and the most remarkable manager as well as restaurant staff. I could go on and on but I will not I think you get the point. If you looking for charming andf excellent customer services and truly want to enjoy your vacation then follow my advice. They just hosted my daughters beach wedding as well so if you also looking for some place to host that special event again highly recommend. You will be writing the same review I just did. Thank you again Sheraton.
Warm regards,
Robin & Gary Moore

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

598 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

I can not say enough good things about the Sheraton at Va Beach Oceanfront! Customer Service is their specialty, and every employee we worked with went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. The price was well wroth every bit of our stay! Kudos to Skip, Dee, Olivia, and Charlene who made our wedding and dinner exceptional! We will never stay at another resort! And for those of you who say it is dated??? I would take dated over the poor service we have received at every other facililty, I dont find it as "dated" as I read in other reviews and the beds are heavenly! Thanks to you Sheraton!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011 via mobile

I stayed for four nights because the location worked for our plans. We had water damage in our room which was causing a moldy smell, the pool area is in need of a rehab, the elevators were not working, every day the room keys would quit working, the bathroom supplies were not replaced, the AC unit ran constantly which was quite loud and the restaurant had rotted fruit on the buffet! So not what I expected from a Sheraton! I
Shared all of my concerns with the front desk and they told me a manager would call me back and no one ever did. Do not stay here. I payed $300 a night for this fiasco of a hotel. Spend less some where where they care about the guests!

• Stayed September 2011
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

1) FREE overnight parking. It seemed so weird, thought a place on the beach would r@pe you for parking, like other beach properties, but not here. Bravo. Oh, i should also mention you have the option to self park or valet, which is complimentary.

2) We were placed in one of the ground floor "Cabana" rooms (which i guess is what you get when you use your starwood points?). When we walked in, we were a little taken aback, as the large floor to ceiling windows looks RIGHT out at the pool, and people are sitting in pool chairs which are literally RIGHT NEXT to your window. We were a little uncomfortable with that, so went back up to reception to see if they could move us. They could not. We pushed a little, they checked with manager, still no. So our consolation was free in-room WIFI for the week (i'll get to that later) and to check back after 11am the next day, as they were pretty much sold out for the week (yea right). We were initially a little miffed by the room that we got, and what seemed to be the lack of privacy, but soon learned, it wasn't so bad.

The room itself was ok. nothing spectacular. tube tv. AC was a little fickle. i set it at 60 deg and "always on" and it still turned on and off like it was on auto. rather loud too. the bathroom was nicer than i thought it'd be. marble (or what looks like marble) floors and counter. toiletries were not restocked during our 4 night stay. carpet a little old as was the furniture. Mattress was worn and actually sloped down on my side of the bed.

3) as other reviewers have mentioned, the elevators are slow, and seemed a little unreliable. within an hour of us checking in, the elevator that takes you to the beach exit (and the cabana rooms) was out of service. "lucky" for us, we were on the ground floor (which is actually one floor down from the lobby), so it was an easy flight of stairs down. Our room was also closest to the beach/pool entrance, so it made coming and going rather convenient. So what initially seemed like a terrible room location, turned out to be not so bad.

4) the WIFI was pretty spotty in our room. not sure if thats the way it was all throughout the hotel, but it was for our room (118). kept going in and out, and sometimes very slow. it seemed better by the pool (which was right outside our window!). Its provided by AT&T (maybe thats why...ha...ha....), so those of you with AT&T iphones (or AT&T wifi accounts), will be able to access WIFI in room for free, otherwise its $10/day.

5) there are 3 pools, 1 indoor, 2 outdoor. only enjoyed one outdoor pool, what seemed to be the "quieter" pool. the other one has the poolside bar, and the indoor looked the biggest. all pools close at 11pm.

6) fitness center was....lets just say DATED.

7) didnt try any of the hotel's food/restaurants.

8) The Sheraton is located at the northern end of Va Beach, which seemed to have less hustle and bustle (more shops, restaurants, etc located in the middle of the beach). Pocohantas Pancake house is superb, located across the street. Is a must try for breakfast/brunch. Highly recommend the waffles.

9) yes, there is construction going on next door. it says will open summer 2012, so expect it to last until then.

10) and according to some of the hotel's responses, they are going to start a big renovation this fall (Oct i believe). So any of the "dated" comments i hope will be taken care of, as a result.

Overall, its an okay place to stay, and as with another reviewer, if you set your expectations appropriately, you'll be fine.

Fredericksburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011 via mobile

Goal for the trip: To find an oceanfront hotel within a short drive (from Fredericksburg, VA) using points where we could lay on beach all day and not do anything.

The Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel met the bill. We arrived on the Monday after Hurricane Irene. We were supposed to have an oceanfront room but as the storm saturated those rooms, we were more than happy to stay on the city side. The smell was awful from all of the water even though they hired professional carpet cleaning service and had fans drying the rooms. But, once again, they were just slammed by a hurricane so no points off.

It is obviously an old hotel and the rooms could use some refreshing but beach hotels get a lot of abuse.

We're platinum so breakfast was
free but I wouldn't choose to eat at Aqua Vi, the hotel's restaurant, if it wasn't. The pool bar had a drink special (tequila sunrise for $5) which was nice and strong. It also has draft beer including Sam Adams Octoberfest, a seasonal favorite. The inside hotel bar lacks draft beer but has above view.

The location is perfect. Nice beach. Great for parents with children under 5 because it's easy to get to the 2 pools and the beach and they cant hurt anything. Bring your bikes to ride on the designated
paths by the boardwalk. Also, the tacky shops and rowdy restaurants aren't on the boardwalk side, they line the streets on the opposite side of the hotel.

One last thing, there is a new building being constructed adjacent to this hotel, however it doesn't make anymore noise than the fighter jets that fly overhead...afterall, this is Virginia Beach. :)

• Stayed August 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Where do I even begin? Let me start in the order in which I experienced these things.

1. My reservation was screwed up. I had initially made the reservations for Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday but then later on, I had canceled my reservation for Monday and added Thursday instead. However when I was at the front desk, it turned out that the changes which I had made (for which I had an email confirmation) had not appeared in their system. Eventually they were able to accommodate us but we spent several nervous hours throughout the entire stay wondering whether we would be kicked out of our room for Thursday night or not .

2. I had mentioned during my reservations that I was making it for my honeymoon. Let alone a welcome basket in our room, there wasn't even the slightest acknowledgment of it by the front desk receptionist.

3. The biggest inconvenience (and something that really ruined our trip) was a non-functioning internet. All our trip plans were in documents that were online and we could not access them when we wanted to decide what restaurants to go to and what attractions to see. It turned out that the router for our room was in the room directly below us and when we reported at 1 a.m. that the internet in our room was not working, there was nothing that the staff could do to help us out. Having the router located in a guest room seems like an awfully stupid design to me.

4. The sheets were not in good shape. It was torn in one place towards the head board. Since I was on my honeymoon and was the one who had made the reservation, I wanted my wife not to be able to see that but then she eventually did see it and needless to say, was not too pleased with it.

5. Parts of the room was far from clean. For example, the night lamp next to my side of the bed had a stain that seemed awfully like a blood stain. Likewise the balcony had large red stains which also seemed like blood stains.

6. Last but not the least, I had expected to spend some time in the balcony since we had booked an oceanfront view room. However the balcony too had issues which prevented us from spending time there:
a. The railing seemed flimsy enough that I did not want to lean on it. Can you blame me? I was on the seventh floor of the hotel.
b. The chairs which were provided in that area also seemed very flimsy. The two of us were joking as to how these chairs are the kind which show up in cheap road-side eateries, not the kind that would be expected at a hotel like the Sheraton.

All in all my honeymoon was much worse for my stay at the Sheraton Oceanfront Virginia Beach. From now on, I will be really wary of spending any time at a Starwood property again. And this is from someone who in 2007 spent ~ 150 nights at Starwood Properties during my business travels.

Adams, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating to my husband and myself as well as our two little girls, a Tiny Toy Poodle and a Chihuahua. Our room was oceanfront with a spectacular view, the room was very clean, and the bed was very comfortable. I loved the feel of the comforter and the pillows were perfect. (We usually bring our own, since most hotel pillows are skimpy) Our package included breakfast every morning I liked that we could choose to have either the buffet or order of the menu. The service was impeccable. The pools were great, I did spend some time there and found that as people left, the staff would pick up the soiled towels and replace with clean ones. Jeremy at the valet check in was very helpful in helping us in where to eat and telling us events that where happening during out stay, I left my IPod in my car and he noticed it there, he brought it in from the heat so it would get damaged, and when he saw me walking through the lobby he stopped me to give it to me, I really appreciated that. Jolene the housekeeper on our floor was truly awesome, and was so good with our girls, she checked with us every morning to make sure we had everything we needed. I read a lot of reviews about this hotel prior to going, but decided to book any way based on their "Pet Friendliness" and location. I'm glad I did, we had such a great time and I would definitely book this hotel again...I didn't care that it was a little "Out Dated" as some have said, I was there for the beach and the "Touristy stuff" the most important feature was that Customer Service was truly awesome and so welcoming. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!