“Love Hampton's but not this one” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Holiday Lights Package
Ranked #19 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
New Hampshire
“Love Hampton's but not this one”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

The hotel was not very clean, there was dust in our bathroom on the selves were a least 1/4 inch in the corners.
One elevator was not working out of two. We had to walk up and down dirty stairs. We were glad we were on the second floor. Being older 70 and 72 this could have been a problem as I am sure it was for people on the 8th floor. We were there on a Wednesday and the elevator had been out since Saturday. I should have complained but we were only staying the one night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

hamptonvboceanfront, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. We’re sorry that your stay was not as expected. Cleaning issues are not typical at our hotel, and we appreciate that you brought this to our attention. We have discussed this with our staff and will make every effort to be sure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards. Also, we certainly understand your frustration after our elevators experienced a problem, and were being repaired. This is an unusual event, where our priority is to return the elevators to safe operation as quickly as possible while being sensitive to our guests. Please give us a second chance if you visit our area in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was a really nice experience for our family to stay at a beachfront hotel for 4 days. We had a great experience with hotel staff and services. The only down side to speak of was the elevators that did not work most of the time. It was not much of an issue except for having to check out with all of our luggage. We had to carry everything down 4 floors with 2 kids in tow. The maintenance staff told us that this happens at least once every weekend, delaying check-in and check-out for guests. This elevator problem needs to be resolved and not just fixed temporarily. Other than this, our visit to the Hampton Inn VA Beach was relaxing and enjoyable.

Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Nice property, great location. Nice restaurant/bar right on property which isn't usual for Hampton. However, it was expensive compared to others in area (some even offer ocean front efficiency suites at lower cost) but I chose it because of my Hilton Honors points not because it was the best value.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Hotel is located on the north end of Virginia Beach and the north end of the beach and is definitely where you want to stay. Plenty of restaurants and shops and the beachfront is perfect. Very accommodating hotel staff, restaurant/bar located in the hotel is terrific, Morning breakfast (included with your room rate) has warm egg dishes, breakfast meat, plenty of cereals, oatmeal, bagels, cakes/muffins, make your own waffles, juices....and on and on. Stuff yourself - it's fresh and good and replenished constantly by staff. And there's excellent coffee/tea 24 hours a day. All rooms are ocean view with a balcony so you can enjoy the sound and beauty of the Atlantic Ocean all day on the privacy of your own balcony. And, your walk to the sand and water is less than a minute from the hotel property. Would I stay here again...absolutely!!!

Fredericksburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My Family and I have stayed at this Hampton at least 4 other times and this past visit was by far the worst. When we arrived Thursday Evening one elevator was inoperative and the other elevator took about 15 minutes to reach the ground floor. My Mother in Law had a torn ACL and had to use the stairs twice that evening. On Friday morning after attending a graduation at the Coast Guard Training Center, I asked if I could get an additional parking pass for my nephew "who just graduated" and was told very bluntly, no you can't have a pass your nephew will have to park down the street at the parking garage. Later Friday afternoon My Wife took the kids to the pool only to find the water practically freezing and the Hot Tub scorching hot. Was unable to utilize or enjoy the amenity. On Saturday morning we were running a little behind and asked for a 1:00 PM check out. Once again we were told no that the latest we could check out would be 12:00. At that point I had my family forego their morning showers and commence packing their bags immediately so we could vacate the premises. The Manager and the Front Desk Staff were terrible. I felt as if we were being treated in an adversarial manner instead of as guests. The only saving grace for the entire stay was the House Keeping Staff and the Women who was serving breakfast in the morning who were both extremely polite and helpful. If it wasn't for them I would have rated this stay very poor. You can bet the next time We travel to VA Beach we will be exploring other options.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your stay did not go as expected. The management team has discussed your feedback in detail to indentify opportunities to improve. We are one of the few oceanfront hotels that offer complimentary onsite parking, but it is limited to one space per room so that all guests can park. There is a parking garage across the street for overflow. We do appreciate your recognition of our housekeeping and breakfast teams, and hope that you will consider us the next time you are in the area.
Fort Campbell, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Was in town for my son's navy re-deployment. The location was in a reasonable distance to the naval base. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was reasonably priced and always clean. It was cold both nights of our stay. The parking was limited to parking spot per room however, there was public parking on a few feet away for a reasonable price. The view was gorgeous even on a gloomy day.

Room Tip: If traveling in multiple cars, be prepared to spend about $10 per day for public parking.

Westport, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

I want to say that I am a huge fan of Hampton Inn, as a general rule. NOT this one, I would not stay here again. Upon our arrival, the room seemed ok, not great. Thankfully, my family insisted we not use the a/c blower all night long, upon it being stuffy in the morning I turn the unit on... My daughter begins sneezing non stop & I notice black things on the bed where I am sitting. Upon remaining in my spot the next few minutes I realize the black clumps are coming from the unit and blowing all over!! Upon using the stairs to go down to breakfast (one of the 2 elevators was totally broken, with NO signage) I shared my great concern over the situation at the desk & shared my loyalty to Hampton Inn in general... The lead man on really doesn't react at all until I state that it is mold, or something, when he states adamantly that he can guarantee it is not mold, ready to cry I head to the breakfast that is over-crowded, under worked for the current hotel capacity (Olivia, working breakfast was extremely sweet & helpful!) the man from the desk approaches my table to share that the situation has been taken care of & informs me that as a prank the last guest stuffed confetti into the unit & that was the stuff coming out!!! Please view the pictures, as this was clearly NOT any confetti! My husband shares his concern regarding my daughter & the air & has to ask about changing rooms! He comes back to say we can switch rooms (never offers to see the concern or to change rooms etc) we move floors - no offer of assistance given (again 1 elevator for everyone in the place, including housekeeping) the new room much cleaner, my husband wants the front man to see the "stuff" prior to exiting our original room as one entire suitcase of clothes has a layer on it, as well as the bed nearest the unit. Upon him seeing it he offers we could wash our laundry & he would provide the soap!! My husband shared my great concern & that I would expect something more than soap- my husband is able to get the night comped but upon my continued disappointment & checkout to the satisfaction plague, I felt I needed to offer my review...
The pool area was VERY dirty, the vent/fan unit near the stairs for the pool was covered in black (I believe mold) the hot tub area was also dirty, the floor & ceiling gross! In hindsight, wish we had relocated to a different property for the remainder of our stay..

• Stayed April 2014
hamptonvboceanfront, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your stay. We regret that your stay did not go as you had expected, and apologize for the inconvenience caused by the air conditioning and elevator. The management team has reviewed your feedback for opportunities to improve, and remains committed to making sure that every guest is happy.

Been to Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North? Share your experiences!