We had a one night stay in VA beach after a week in Williamsburg. I read and re-read all the reviews trying to pick the best place for our family. I was close to booking the new Hilton next door but was turned off by the double beds (who still does that? who can sleep 2 to a double bed? not us at least comfortably!) So I settled on the Hampton which is a brand I love, especially the nice clean white duvets that are washed between guests.
We had a double queen room on the top floor which had a great view. All the rooms are ocean front which is nice. The hotel is obviously older but with newer Hampton furnishings. Our room was little beat up and carpet was a little stained and there was a spot or two of black on the tub grout but overall clean. We even had a rollaway (no charge) which was surprisingly comfy although the room was a little tight to fit the extra bed. I appreciated the fridge and microwave and there was a nice storage tower in the bathroom for extra toiletries. I did ask for an extra duvet for the rollway and was told that they do not do that. (the Hampton inn in Williamsburg kindly did provide one which I appreciated!) In any event it was for 1 night so no big deal.
The free breakfast was great and served in the lovely oceanfront restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel. A great set up with a great selection of cereals in boxes, boiled eggs, fruit, sausage, premade omelets. The best part was that they had multiple waffle maker manned by a lovely woman (Olivia?) who was so friendly and singing to all the guests, helping the kids, and she made all the waffles for you so there was no back up in line, no mess, and she was such a pleasure to speak with. We then sat outside and had a great free breakfast overlooking the boardwalk. Just a great way to start the day!
The only downside to the stay was that the fire alarm went off at 11:30 pm. It was very hard to hear in the room over the a/c and I was the only one awake at the time and I heard this faint beeping. When I opened the door the alarm was very loud but there were no hotel staff directing you what to do. Many guests were in the hall so we talked to each other and decided we should just go downstairs. I tried to call the front desk but no answer. I woke everyone up and we walked down 8 flights to the lobby. Still no one from the hotel directing anything but everyone was just walking outside to the parking lot. We then saw the fire dept come. They went inside and we saw them walking on the first floor. Then the firemen came out and said all clear so we went back up. Again, the hotel staff were gathered at the front desk but no one was saying anything to the guests which I thought was strange. We did ask for and receive a late check out the next day due to loss of sleep the night before! But still I though it was a little unsafe that not only could we not really hear the alarm in the room but that the hotel staff seemed so unconcerned about the guests while the alarm was going off.
This is the best location in my opinion thought. I see they are building a new Hilton Garden Inn next door which I would choose for my next trip. However, for the price this Hampton was a good choice for us for this trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North is conveniently located with 120 ocean facing rooms. Wake up refreshed after an amazing night’s sleep on Hampton’s Clean and Fresh Bed®, and enjoy the ocean sunrise while sipping coffee from your private beach balcony. Our free hot breakfast buffet saves you money and time so you can get on with your day. At our Virginia Beach oceanfront hotel you get free WiFi, free onsite parking, and a microwave and refrigerator in every room. Relax in our newly remodeled waterfall pool and hot tub. Enjoy an exceptional dinner in our oceanfront restaurant, North Beach Bar & Grill. At the end of the day, join the fun in our lounge and seasonal outdoor boardwalk cafe. As always, your stay is backed by the 100% Hampton Guarantee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Agoda, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North Hotel Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach Hampton Inn