“Tragic Incompetence” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Norfolk, Virginia
“Tragic Incompetence”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed for one night at this lovely hotel. Everything was great, good service clean rooms, the 3rd floor smelled funny but other than that it was nice. We checked out the following day at around 8:30 in the morning. A week and a half later we woke up to find that Hampton Inn had charged us an $8 dollar fee. When we called to find out why they told us we had ordered one frozen food meal, an ice cream and a soda from their in-hotel store at their front counter, something neither of us did. They advised us to call the GM, who i called twice leaving messages. He never responded. Upon the third time i reached a young lady who told me that we did in fact order this. When i asked her how this is done (since I didn't even know they had an in-hotel store or that this was possible) she told me that someone had come up to the front desk with my information (your last name and your room number is all you need to order something at the store) and purchased it and that they are not responsible if someone had my information. She argued with me about whether or not me and my wife ordered this entree for one person the morning after we checked out for roughly 7-9 minutes before finally asking me and i quote "Sir, is this really over $7.38 cents"? So to anyone wanting to bunk down in the Hampton Inns BEWARE they apparently don't check ID's and anyone standing behind you at check in as at liberty to purchase items in your name! She finally agreed to remove the charge after i told her i wouldn't budge off having it removed until they pulled up the video of me NOT buying this stupid meal. She also told me that i wasn't here to see the video so it wouldn't matter because she has no way of telling me what i looked like. A good stay gone bad. I reassured her i was willing to drive back up tot he Hampton Inn and show her who i am, and finally she buckled stating the above.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Sterling, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I stay at this hotel once a week for business. It is my home away from home. All of the staff is consistently friendly and professional. The rooms are always clean and the beds could not be more comfortable. The location is amazing, as all of the rooms face the ocean.

At Christmas time, Hampton Inn Oceanfront is the place to stay. They've decorated beautifully for the holidays, and you can view spectacular Christmas lights right outside your window. Too cold to go outside for dinner? Not a problem here. There's a bar and restaurant that offers quality food for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a hot tub room available. Trust me. You want that.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
vboceanfront, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Thank you for your kind words and for taking time to post a review! Our staff appreciates knowing that they are making a difference to our guests. We really value loyal, long-term guests such as yourself and are pleased that you feel at home. We look forward to welcoming you back next week!

Kind regards,

Rob Waddell
Director of Sales & Marketing
Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Just had a lovely Thanksgiving weekend stay at the Hampton Inn Oceanfront North, in Virginia Beach. I can't say enough good things about the place. Very friendly and helpful staff. A good sized room with large bathroom. All very clean. Fabulous ocean views. We even saw a pod of dolphins swim by. Definitely recommended - 10 out of 10.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view. The higher the floor, the better the view!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
vboceanfront, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
First, thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay and taking time to post your review! We always appreciate hearing that our guests enjoyed their stay and will pass your remarks onto the rest of the team. Also, thank you for posting the great pictures!

It is always a treat to spot dolphins playing near the beach and we are glad they cooperated during your stay :) We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Rob Waddell
Director of Sales & Marketing
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

This is a great hotel and as in the name, it faces the ocean. It was great for our two boys 5 and 8 years old because we can just walk back inside the hotel without having to drag all the sand toys back inside with us when we needed a break. We also needed to run back in when everyone got stung by jelly fish. There are tons of places to eat on the street side. Having said that, we probably not go back to Virginia Beach again. Not to sound like a snob but we went to Bethany Beach a couple months later and that was much more quaint and charming not trashy. There are just a bit too many tattoo places on the streets and nasty looking bars. We really liked how they had street entertainers sponsored by the city out at night. But go once and see what it's like!

Room Tip: Go for a higher room and get a great view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Chesterfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

This hotel was AWESOME! Most everywhere we go we try to stay at a Hampton Inn just because we have been so pleased with them and this time was no different. This location has the feeling of a first class hotel right as you pull up to it's doors. The swimming pool and hot tubs are right in front of the front desk which means it was open 24 hours and also that the front desk can monitor anything that is out of line. That makes it nice for a relaxing time at the pool and hot tubs. They have a "Suite Shop" with lots of sodas and treats and hot cookies made Monday through Friday that I wish were available to me being I was a weekend guest. However my sweet tooth was taken care of by the chocolate spoonful cake in the restaurant inside the hotel that we bought and took to our room. The rooms are clean along with the beds. AWESOME views of the ocean and we even got a few nights with a full moon glistening on the water. Nice balcony with even better views! Wish there were screen doors to let in the ocean air and keep the bugs out. The hot breakfast cannot be beat however, We did have one incident that was a negative. There was a man (Employee) who was VERY helpful with the waffle maker that was sticking. he stayed and helped every guess get their waffle off the waffle maker. My wife heard another lady (Employee) tell him that she will not even turn on the waffle makers because they need new plates and she was "too busy" to help the guest. She was right too, because the next day the man was not on duty and she was there and the waffle makers were off! Too bad every employee is not willing to go the extra mile like the man did that first day. Overall it was a relaxing weekend and we hope to stay at this location again. The front desk staff and the man that fixes the pool were there at check out and very friendly and nice. Good note whenever you check out because it makes you feel like you were welcomed and wanted back as guest. We WILL be back!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the views.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

WE really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Everyone was very nice especially our night hosts Brian and Cathy Moats.They were informative and give us information on where we might go for outings. WE had a minor maintenance issue and the staff was there to repair within 10 minutes of the report, The housekeeping staff were very pleasant also. WE enjoyed the free breakfast included in the stay. The restaurant in the hotel was also delciious, Good crabcakes.
The pool and hot tub were so relaxing and open 24 hours a day.Just to be able to relax on the balcony and look at the ocean was our favorite part, I would recommend this hotel if you need a break from the rat race we all live in,

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed here during our trip to Virginia Beach. This was in late October so the beach wasn't a big part of our trip. However, I loved sitting on the balcony at sunrise and in the evenings. The hotel pool is in a glass area right across from the front desk. It is open 24 hours, something that I came to appreciate as my husband sleeps in where I rise quite early. I could swim laps, take a shower in our room, get breakfast from the very good buffet and sit on the balcony reading a book until sunrise when he would get up. The staff was always helpful. The only minor complaint that I had was that the elevators are slow- not a big problem when you are on the 2nd floor, though.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North? Share your experiences!