“Hiking” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Educational Sites, Nature/ Wildlife Areas, State Parks, Outdoors
Activities: Hiking, Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: Nature enthusiasts will love this park with 2,700-acres of hiking trails, cypress swamps and nesting grounds for a variety of birds.
Rutherford, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“Hiking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We liked the hiking trails but not the cost to rent a bike (20/hr each). The beach looked really nice from our view.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
9 attraction reviews
“Outdoors for all my friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

First Landing is a great park for many activities. On the water, you can kayak or SUP or just hang out on the beach. Some trails are great for runners and walkers, with some up and downhill challenges. There's also plenty of room for wheeled access of kind. No motors but no restrictions for those wanting to be a part of nature!

Visited June 2014
Chesterfield, VA
8 attraction reviews
“Dogs on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Ok, that's a strange title for a review...but it's the first thing that comes to my memory about the beach at First Landing. I visited in July...dogs were everywhere. I recall seeing 8 dogs in my 2 hours there. I like dogs well enough, but...one lady had two large dogs that barked at every other dog that walked by. You get the idea. The day I went, the waves were rough, although I'm told it's usually very calm. With small children the dogs honestly made me a bit nervous...might not bother everyone, but I was annoyed by it.

Ellwood City, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Summer Visit--very Pet-Friendly park!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We decided to camp on a visit to my sister, who lives in Virginia Beach. We missed a major storm the two days before our arrival so things were pretty wet all around but that didn't make for a bad visit. We reserved a site but a warning, unless it's site specific, it's a free for all on selection. I would recommend arriving well before the 3 pm check-in. We had little traffic on our travels so we were able to get there early and got a great site. Close to the bath house but not too close and no where near the Shore Drive side (which seems like it would be rather noisy from the traffic.)

The first day, we drove down to the main building and walked to the beach from there (because we didn't realize how close beach access was to our campsite until we did a drive around the campground). The parking was minimal because many locals visit this beach and I can see why. It's a lovely area.

We drove to the 64th street park entrance. Parking is worse here and it's a relatively small beach. If you want to rent a SUP or jet ski, this is the place to go. The birdlife in this area of the park is awesome.

The showers in our circle were wonderful. Nice private space and usually clean. Someone left empty bottles of shampoo one day but I don't blame the park staff, I blame lazy visitors. The restroom (right around the corner from the showers in that building) have trash cans.

There are minimal supplies at the site store. However, there is a grocery store 1 mile from this park so I would recommend stocking up there. The firewood cost is pretty high. You cannot bring your own so plan for about $6 a bundle (of about 6 pcs.)

The park is very pet-friendly. We had our dog and there were many others. There was never an issue of barking dogs in the night or any trouble on the beach. Our dog barked one night for a bit when a raccoon came to visit. The only dog issue I saw was a few people did NOT clean up after their pet. Again, not a park issue but one of lazy guests.

We will definitely be planning a return visit.

Darlington PA
7 attraction reviews
“Calm Beach Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We always make a point to spend the day at First Landing each year we visit Virginia Beach. Such a calm beach to spend the day relaxing and pack a lunch -even saw a wedding once very pretty.