“Chain smokers paradise :-\” 2 of 5 stars

Knights Inn Staunton/Verona
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Lodge Lane, I-81 Exit 227, Verona, VA 24482   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Verona
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Chain smokers paradise :-\”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend booked this hotel during a cheap weekend getaway to wine country. It was cheap and easy to locate, however there was mold in the bathroom and the room smelled like cigarettes even though it was nonsmoking. I recommend paying a little more for the holiday inn up the street.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Our destination was Bridgewater College. To avoid the higher price chain motels on I-81 centered around Staunton and Harrisonburg, we stayed in Verona. So if you are willing to drive to the two cities and the greater selection of restaurants and still be in a safe rural area, you can save on lodging. The Knights Inn fits this criteria. The building and rooms are in typical condition for its age, but hey everything worked. And for breakfast, there were two abutting fast food joints because the hotel breakfast... well we saved on lodging.
For a budget motel we had a first floor room with a microwave and refrigerator too!

Room Tip: In mid January they had about 8 rooms occupied. So ask for the business rooms with the microwave and...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I arrived at this hotel after looking on Priceline on my mobile as the snow fell heavily outside. After driving in the blinding snow, I arrived at the hotel to explain that I would have to book some other way as it was past midnight and I could not pull up the hotel.

The lady said that under NO conditions could I stand in the lobby while pulling up a webpage. She spoke in a tone of voice that I found offensive, rude and unneeded. I am a Virginia from SW Virginia and would expect that Southern hospitality and/or human compassion in snow storms would cause reception desk workers to be friendly.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone and would encourage the lady to enroll in classes nearby in hospitality and dealing in a friendly manner with customers willing to pay money which is supposedly used to pay her salary.

This is why many immigrants are working in reception areas as they tend to be neutral or friendly in explaining rules or regulations. This woman would not be working at my hotel....

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Verona hotels

Philippi,WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed here on our way to Virginia Beach. It's no Hilton but sure got the job done. Pool was nice. Staff was nice. A good place to lay your head and heat some rest. Def would stay here again. There are a few places to eat right around this hotel which makes it very nice. Plenty of parking.

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a hotel close to the highway. We were traveling NY to GA. Seconds from the highway. Great value. Comfortable bed, hot shower. Where can you get that deal? We booked two rooms, they were ready when we arrived. We asked for a couple extra towels, they have them to us right as we checked in. The desk clerk gave us suggestions and directions for local restaurants and shopping for incidentals. We were very happy with this property.

• Stayed October 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

So, despite the "no smoking" signs here, our hotel room smelled like an ash tray! The towels were dingy, the bed was warped, and the area didn't seem safe. Stay at the holiday inn up the road instead!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

A great price, perfect location for road trips, even a welcoming lobby with a nice attendant.

HOWEVER, walking to your room is nerve racking with extremely poor lighting, every corner you walk by you feel like your going to be engulfed by the 3 foot spider webs. There was a 4 inch by 3 foot hole spanning the width of the upstairs walkway. I could have easily rolled/broke my ankle if I weren't paying attention. When we got to our room, the room key didn't work. Once I got it fixed, as my wife opened the door to our "non smoking room" she immediately said that it smelled awful. It smelled like a giant ash tray. The room was extremely hot as we got in, it would have been nice to have the AC on before we arrived as I booked two days in advance. I go to turn on the air conditioner and give a peek to the filter...it was one solid piece of dust.

None of the light switches worked in the sleeping area. the only way you could get light is if you turn a knob on the lamp. this made getting in the room a bit difficult.

My wife looks at the bed and immediately notices a 4 inch tear in the middle of the comforter, she rips off the comforter and notices another 3 inch tear in the sheet. We go to sit on the bed and I became nostalgic to sitting on an old 70's style couch that was extremely springy with no support. My back will regret saving this $15...

The toilet, mirrors and vanity were clean. As soon as we looked in the shower we had second thoughts about bathing in the morning as the tub had soap scum inhabiting the tub. also, the shower mat in the tub looked like that aged plastic that was once clear but now is a nasty yellow. Also, the exhaust fan in the bathroom looked disgusting as cobwebs covered it. The smell definitely came from the bathroom and I would be willing to wager that someone (maybe everyone who ever stayed in this room??) was smoking in the bathroom.

Furthermore, the room looked outdated. The ceiling's popcorn style paint and cheap wallpaper border around the ceiling was peeling away in dramatic fashion. The television remote did not work, the TV picture quality looked as if there should have been an antenna with rabbit ears receiving a signal. The TV was probably from the late 80's. The telephone was once white, but it a crusty yellow, most likely a phone from a smoking room. The phone book was also from 2011-2012.

Also, the hotel advertised that there is "High Speed Wireless Internet". That's a farse...no wireless.

We have yet to sleep as we just arrived but I doubt we'll do much sleeping as I feel like I'm sleeping in a dingy motel that facilitates crime that you would see in the movies. Maybe I'll see a drug bust next door.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Knights Inn Staunton/Verona? Share your experiences!