“Really loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Upperville
The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant
Save Saved
You added The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant to your Saves list
10087 John S. Mosby Highway, Upperville, VA 20184 (Formerly "1763 Inn")   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Upperville B&B and Inns
Leesburg, Virginia
“Really loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

Was there for my birthday with my husband and stayed in the Wexford Cottage. Very quaint, cozy, charming and quiet. It was a cute, rustic log cabin. Very clean, very comfortable bed with nice bedding. Gorgeous stone fireplace in the cabin, but didn't use it since it is summertime :-)
I thought it was well maintained considering it is a log cabin. The dinner in the dining room was delicious and our service was great. I loved our entire meal. After dinner, we went to the Irish Pub and sat outside on the stone patio and again, had great service. Late night we moved inside into the pub and really enjoyed the ambiance and drinks. Our breakfast the next morning was again delicious and served very quickly. I thouroughly enjoyed myself and thought this was a wonderful overnight getaway with my husband.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

Stayed here while visiting family in Middleburg. It looks as though they have fixed the place up quite a bit as I did not see any of the negatives that other reviewers mentioned. While a little bit more than a usual hotel, the excellent food at the restaurant/pub and the history of the property (George Washington's) more than made up for it.

Will definitely attend again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
northern Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Luckily we stayed only one night. We were so disappointed that for slightly more money we could have stayed at the Ashby Inn--a wonderful place nearby. We thought we'd try something new and closer to our event venue but were remiss to not check reviews. We paid $200 for a room on a Monday night. Outrageous for the accomodations' condition. The pictures on the website did not represent our room at all. The peeling wallpaper, sad decor, horribly uncomfortable bed, rattling window air conditioner and rotting wood from the drip underneath it, door frame falling apart.... We didn't even want to shower there. The restaurant for breakfast? Flies/bugs in the windowsills, sad breakfast (no menu/choice--we were asked only how we liked our eggs with no explancation or choice of menu. We were served watery coffee, cold toast, fat soaked bacon, overcooked eggs, withered grapes that shouldn't be plated. So we left and enjoyed lovely fresh croissant at the bakery in Middleburg. While the location is indeed lovely for a wedding or event, I would not recommend sleeping here.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
carroxu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We had our wedding at the Blackthorne and it was beautiful! The food was amazing and the scenery you cant beat, our pictures turned out beautiful. The atmosphere is awesome, the owners make you feel like family. We have been back many times for dinner and drinks and it is an awesome place to go. Dont miss out on this place, it is truly something special.

• Stayed March 2008
VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

There is a fine line between "rustic" and "not maintained." The pricepoint charged far exceeded the accommodations provided. For $50 more, we could have stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Downtown DC.
There were dead flies in the windowsills, rust and cobwebs in the shower, exposed light fixtures, chipping paint (if painted at all), broken mirror frames, and a bed that squeeked terribly.
The next romantic getaway will be the Ritz!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Run down condition
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Blackthorne Inn in the Galway cottage, just off the Main House. We're in our mid-twenties, so we're not snobs about where we stay, but for almost $200, we expected our room to be extra nice - we did not enjoy or stay or get our money's worth.

I've compiled a list of things that could be improved:
I had to kill 9 flies
There were insects in the hot tub
There was not enough hot water for hot tub
There was no kindling other than newspaper for fire, which meant it was IMPOSSIBLE to start the fire.
I had to clean 3 'unidentifiable' spots in various areas of the room
The remote was sticky and had to be wiped down
The bed seemed unstable
There was a bug 'graveyard' near the air conditioner and in the blinds
The toilet bowl looked unclean - possibly rust or 'otherwise'
Slats missing from folding privacy doors in bathroom
Front door has gap on bottom which means it didn't seal
The water tasted metallic and all the faucets were old and rusty
The ceiling and doorways were so low anyone 5' 8" or taller has to crouch to walk without hitting his/her head
The party pavillion/tent was collapsed after what appeared to have been one insane wedding reception there were beer bottles, pint glasses, leftover food etc strewn about; my point being it was unsafe to be around, yet still standing.
The walls/doors were so thin that we could hear other guests moving about the grounds as early as 6:30 in the morning
Cobwebs were everywhere and nearly impossible to avoid
For what we paid for the "cottage" we expected larger lodgings

We will not be returning or recommending The Blackthorne Inn.

• Liked — easy check in
  • Disliked — everything else. not kidding.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
U.S.A.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

Picturesque inn, nice lake, pretty swans. Those are the good things.

Now for the bad. The first room we had....the television didn't work. We kept getting the "searching for satellite" message. Unplugged the wires, unplugged the satellite box and the tv, replugged them all back in....nothing worked. Next, we had called our parents and gave them the phone number for the inn and the room extension. Yay...if there's an emergency, they can get ahold of us. Well....that was until we found that the phone didn't work...at all. The bed....I'm guessing that the floor where it meets the wall must be a little lower than the rest of the room because the bed actually sloped downhill toward the wall, so that your head was a couple of inches below the level of your feet. Want some acid reflux during the night? This is the way to go! I think the phone not working was the last straw, so at 9:30 pm we drove down to the main house and got ahold of the night manager. She was VERY helpful....very sweet person. She got us another room....had to move all our stuff again. Now, this room was bigger, and much nicer. The bed was very big and didn't slope downward. Huge fireplace too. Unfortunately, the phone didn't work here either, and we didn't discover until it was time for bed that one of the valves that turn on the water for the tub was leaking and went drip...drip...drip...all night. I was only able to stop this by either really wrenching the valve to almost the breaking point, which I did the first two nights....but that stopped working and I had to sort of manipulate the spigot so that the dripping water would hit the side and drip down the side rather than hitting the puddle at the bottom.

Breakfast: First Morning: Were pointed in the direction of the dining area of the inn for breakfast. Nobody there. Had to go knock on the door of the kitchen to find someone to take our order. She came out, sort of pointed to where we should sit, and came back and took our drink order. I ordered tea, which consisted of some hot water and some tea bags, so I got to make my own tea! Yay....I'm an employee now! Their breakfast is: What We Give You. No choices were offered....just What We Give You. Eggs, bacon, home fries, toast. The food was good.

Second Morning: Skipped breakfast....opted for something better in town.

Third morning: Know where dining area is now, went straight there. Ordered a Coke since I didn't want to make my own tea. Coke came, Coke was flat. Wife ordered orange juice...was fine. I told the woman I didn't need the toast, and would she double-up on the eggs and bacon and fries. Food came, no toast, same amount of eggs and bacon and fries from day before. She (or someone) did put a couple of pieces of bad maple-ish sausage links on the plate, but I didn't ask for those. The server needs to switch careers, because the "hospitality" industry is not her calling. We were (and are) always very nice to anyone in the service industry, and as much as I hate to write it, she simply had zero charm.

Maybe my expectations are way too high, but if I'm paying "inn" prices, I sort of expect the TV to work, the phone to work, the bed to not slope downhill, and my server to at least be congenial. In my opinion, the inn is focusing too much on their (very active) nightly bar scene and their wedding reception service, at the expense of people actually staying in their rooms.

Again, the night bar manager, a young lady, was very helpful and did give us quite a good upgrade on our room, and in the end we were happy with it after we fixed the leak and gave up on having a telephone. But....we will not be staying here again.

• Liked — Upperville is gorgeous. Between two mountain ranges. Beautiful!
  • Disliked — Phone didn't work, bed sloped toward the wall, TV didn't work, hostess at breakfast not nice.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!