“Poorly Maintained for the Price” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Upperville
The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant
You added The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant to your Saves list
10087 John S. Mosby Highway, Upperville, VA 20184 (Formerly "1763 Inn")   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Upperville B&B and Inns
northern Virginia
“Poorly Maintained for the Price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Luckily we stayed only one night. We were so disappointed that for slightly more money we could have stayed at the Ashby Inn--a wonderful place nearby. We thought we'd try something new and closer to our event venue but were remiss to not check reviews. We paid $200 for a room on a Monday night. Outrageous for the accomodations' condition. The pictures on the website did not represent our room at all. The peeling wallpaper, sad decor, horribly uncomfortable bed, rattling window air conditioner and rotting wood from the drip underneath it, door frame falling apart.... We didn't even want to shower there. The restaurant for breakfast? Flies/bugs in the windowsills, sad breakfast (no menu/choice--we were asked only how we liked our eggs with no explancation or choice of menu. We were served watery coffee, cold toast, fat soaked bacon, overcooked eggs, withered grapes that shouldn't be plated. So we left and enjoyed lovely fresh croissant at the bakery in Middleburg. While the location is indeed lovely for a wedding or event, I would not recommend sleeping here.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
carroxu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We had our wedding at the Blackthorne and it was beautiful! The food was amazing and the scenery you cant beat, our pictures turned out beautiful. The atmosphere is awesome, the owners make you feel like family. We have been back many times for dinner and drinks and it is an awesome place to go. Dont miss out on this place, it is truly something special.

• Stayed March 2008
VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

There is a fine line between "rustic" and "not maintained." The pricepoint charged far exceeded the accommodations provided. For $50 more, we could have stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Downtown DC.
There were dead flies in the windowsills, rust and cobwebs in the shower, exposed light fixtures, chipping paint (if painted at all), broken mirror frames, and a bed that squeeked terribly.
The next romantic getaway will be the Ritz!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Run down condition
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Blackthorne Inn in the Galway cottage, just off the Main House. We're in our mid-twenties, so we're not snobs about where we stay, but for almost $200, we expected our room to be extra nice - we did not enjoy or stay or get our money's worth.

I've compiled a list of things that could be improved:
I had to kill 9 flies
There were insects in the hot tub
There was not enough hot water for hot tub
There was no kindling other than newspaper for fire, which meant it was IMPOSSIBLE to start the fire.
I had to clean 3 'unidentifiable' spots in various areas of the room
The remote was sticky and had to be wiped down
The bed seemed unstable
There was a bug 'graveyard' near the air conditioner and in the blinds
The toilet bowl looked unclean - possibly rust or 'otherwise'
Slats missing from folding privacy doors in bathroom
Front door has gap on bottom which means it didn't seal
The water tasted metallic and all the faucets were old and rusty
The ceiling and doorways were so low anyone 5' 8" or taller has to crouch to walk without hitting his/her head
The party pavillion/tent was collapsed after what appeared to have been one insane wedding reception there were beer bottles, pint glasses, leftover food etc strewn about; my point being it was unsafe to be around, yet still standing.
The walls/doors were so thin that we could hear other guests moving about the grounds as early as 6:30 in the morning
Cobwebs were everywhere and nearly impossible to avoid
For what we paid for the "cottage" we expected larger lodgings

We will not be returning or recommending The Blackthorne Inn.

• Liked — easy check in
  • Disliked — everything else. not kidding.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
U.S.A.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

Picturesque inn, nice lake, pretty swans. Those are the good things.

Now for the bad. The first room we had....the television didn't work. We kept getting the "searching for satellite" message. Unplugged the wires, unplugged the satellite box and the tv, replugged them all back in....nothing worked. Next, we had called our parents and gave them the phone number for the inn and the room extension. Yay...if there's an emergency, they can get ahold of us. Well....that was until we found that the phone didn't work...at all. The bed....I'm guessing that the floor where it meets the wall must be a little lower than the rest of the room because the bed actually sloped downhill toward the wall, so that your head was a couple of inches below the level of your feet. Want some acid reflux during the night? This is the way to go! I think the phone not working was the last straw, so at 9:30 pm we drove down to the main house and got ahold of the night manager. She was VERY helpful....very sweet person. She got us another room....had to move all our stuff again. Now, this room was bigger, and much nicer. The bed was very big and didn't slope downward. Huge fireplace too. Unfortunately, the phone didn't work here either, and we didn't discover until it was time for bed that one of the valves that turn on the water for the tub was leaking and went drip...drip...drip...all night. I was only able to stop this by either really wrenching the valve to almost the breaking point, which I did the first two nights....but that stopped working and I had to sort of manipulate the spigot so that the dripping water would hit the side and drip down the side rather than hitting the puddle at the bottom.

Breakfast: First Morning: Were pointed in the direction of the dining area of the inn for breakfast. Nobody there. Had to go knock on the door of the kitchen to find someone to take our order. She came out, sort of pointed to where we should sit, and came back and took our drink order. I ordered tea, which consisted of some hot water and some tea bags, so I got to make my own tea! Yay....I'm an employee now! Their breakfast is: What We Give You. No choices were offered....just What We Give You. Eggs, bacon, home fries, toast. The food was good.

Second Morning: Skipped breakfast....opted for something better in town.

Third morning: Know where dining area is now, went straight there. Ordered a Coke since I didn't want to make my own tea. Coke came, Coke was flat. Wife ordered orange juice...was fine. I told the woman I didn't need the toast, and would she double-up on the eggs and bacon and fries. Food came, no toast, same amount of eggs and bacon and fries from day before. She (or someone) did put a couple of pieces of bad maple-ish sausage links on the plate, but I didn't ask for those. The server needs to switch careers, because the "hospitality" industry is not her calling. We were (and are) always very nice to anyone in the service industry, and as much as I hate to write it, she simply had zero charm.

Maybe my expectations are way too high, but if I'm paying "inn" prices, I sort of expect the TV to work, the phone to work, the bed to not slope downhill, and my server to at least be congenial. In my opinion, the inn is focusing too much on their (very active) nightly bar scene and their wedding reception service, at the expense of people actually staying in their rooms.

Again, the night bar manager, a young lady, was very helpful and did give us quite a good upgrade on our room, and in the end we were happy with it after we fixed the leak and gave up on having a telephone. But....we will not be staying here again.

• Liked — Upperville is gorgeous. Between two mountain ranges. Beautiful!
  • Disliked — Phone didn't work, bed sloped toward the wall, TV didn't work, hostess at breakfast not nice.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cmeadows83
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

Picturesque. We knew we had a winner as soon as we pulled into the drive and saw the covered gazebo on the properties small pond (complete with swans!). I will attach pictures so you can see everything, but from start to finish--we loved Blackthorne. All 9 of our guests booked room and each was really impresses. We, ourselves, booked the cabin Tipperary, which was a pleasant and rustic retreat. Relaxing in our own cabin steps from the pond where we were married was a great experience all in itself!

Comfy beds, incredible dinners, excellent brunch. I couldn't ask for much more--but I did get more--the prices were amazing!

Thanks to Sharon for all her help planning our special day :)

Stayed April 2008
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

The Blackthorne Inn (formerly 1763 Inn) is under the managment of an Irish family who are trying to make this Inn an above average "B&B". They should be applauded for their efforts, but there is still room for improvement. First, when trying to book a room for an anniversary, two emails were sent to the Inn as shown on their website (one to the Reservationist, one to the Property Owner) Both emails went unanswered. Not a good first impression, however, the allure of the facility based on its website, prompted me to call and make a reservation by phone which was done w/out problem.

We stayed in the "Stables" area in the "Kerry" room. Rustic is a good description of the room. There were areas that could have been a bit more updated, but overall the room was average. There was, however, a large stone fireplace and ample wood for a fire. Dinner was just above average, service a bit slow and not as polished. A cozy, new "pub" is in the main house and it draws local residents and inn guests. Breakfast (included in the $190/nt. cost of the room) was choice of omlet or eggs/bacon/hash browns. Not the standard fare for a B&B breakfast. PROS: Historic bldg., Scenic View, Pub, Friendly Owners, Flat Screen TV in room, CONS: Drafty Room, Sheets not cleaned (hairs), No Iron

• Liked — Historic Building and the newly renovated cozy pub on site.
  • Disliked — Room quality/amenities for the price paid.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!