“Our son's wedding!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Upperville
The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant
Save Saved
You added The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant to your Saves list
10087 John S. Mosby Highway, Upperville, VA 20184 (Formerly "1763 Inn")   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Upperville B&B and Inns
Purcellville VA
“Our son's wedding!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

On October 7, 2011 our son got married. He and his fiancee Kelli chose The Blackthorne Inn for their reception and the owners catered to our every need for 4 days of parties, and festiviaties. A huge part of their decision was the fact that the Inn is owned by an Irish family. Members of the bridal party travelled from Ireland for this happy occasion. They booked all the cabins for 3 nights, and then the party began.

We had dinner for the two families on Thursday evening.Approximately, 40 guests. The food was exceptional. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and kind.

Only if we had had the wedding in Ireland would it have been any better! This family is exceptional. The food was delicious, Shame you did us proud.!!! Thank you thank you thank you.

Again, the food at the reception was hot, delicious and plentiful. At the end of the reception, we headed to the bar on the upper level and continued to celebrate till the wee hours of the morning. Couldn't have been more perfect. A huge thank you to Sharon for all her help and patience in the planning. A day and night to remember.Slainte

Room Tip: Enjoy the food and stay the night. Wonderful cabins and delicious breakfast the next day.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012 via mobile

We had a great time. The room was great the property was beautiful. The food, drink and wait service were exceptional. The live music was outstanding. It was like going to the Irish country side without leaving the states. Highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed March 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Blackthorne Inn and restaurant using a Living Social deal. We arrived Friday evening after a 90 minute drive from Alexandria, VA. We quickly checked into our room (Dublin) and then headed to the pub. The drinks were great and food (Irish bangers and chips, and the burger) superb! The Inn is very close to Sky Meadows State Park, and many vineyards. After a really great hike, we went to Barrell Oak Vineyard for a winetasting. Our room for the stay is a converted outbuilding into two 'cottages.' The room was nice, but is showing its age. The bathroom is cramped but functional. Be warned if you are taller than about 5'6" or so, the ceilings in the bathroom and shower/jacuzzi tub are really low! Dinner in the restaurant was also excellent: both delicious and very well presented. All in all we were very happy with our weekend and the Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant.

Room Tip: The two cottages (Dublin & Gallaway) are adjacent to the main building. During poor weather, it...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Middleburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I attended a 50th wedding anniversary party for some family friends of ours at The Blackthorne Inn & Restaurant in their new renovated Ballroom. It was absolutely gorgeous with the glass doors surrounding the room to view the beautiful scenic surroundings of endless acres of rolling hills, woods, a pond, fountain, etc. The music that was by Steve Hudson and Michelle Dupre was perfect as every song they sang was my favorite song. But The Blackthorne Inn always seems to have great music in their Wolfe Tone's Pub. I want my company party to be at this place or maybe my 40th birthday party. Plus, I got a sneak peak at the newly renovated cabins and cottages. This feels like a home away from home for me and for once, my husband and I agree on something!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Southport, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Blackthorne Inn located between Upperville and Middleburg, VA is a true family run business that provides all the comfort and attention that you would expect from a 5 star place. The Inn is owned and operated by Shane O'Connor and all of his Irish family, including his charming parents and siblings, work there. Since they bought this Inn (formerly "1763") the Inn, restaurant, pub and rooms have all be beautifully redone. The restaurant food is elegant fare and the pub offers wonderful Irish and traditional food, beer and entertainment. In the warmer months there is a patio overlooking the beautiful countryside. They also do small to large private parties and beautiful weddings under the large pavilion tent.

Whether you are a local looking for a fun or special eveing out, or a traveller looking for a romantic weekend, I highly recommend The Blackthorne Inn, Restaurant and Pub!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Inn are beautiful, but I also love the cabins for added privacy!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Middleburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I live close by to the inn but have never stopped because it looks really expensive due to its beautiful, well manicured property. Then I realized there was an Irish pub! I was thinking four star dining, which it has, but the pub offers pub fare and great Irish beers on tap. It is run by an Irish family who are extremely hospitable. It feels like I am back in Ireland with the way the pub was designed and the wonderful Irish tunes playing.

May parents came to visit me and they stayed at the Inn. We had drinks in their room before we headed to the dining room. They stayed in a cabin which was really cool. A little rustic with lots of charm and very clean. We enjoyed the wine and cheese plate and went to dinner. The food was excellent. I would call it comfortable fine dining. The dining room is beautful and welcoming with a great view of the pond and gazebo. The servers are professional and knowlegable of the menu items.

I think I will be finding myself hanging around this place a little more often.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I want to live there! This quaint Irish Bed & Breakfast in the country with a peaceful setting was just what my husband and I needed for a nice overnight away from the kids. We went to the Goodstone Inn for years but paid twice as much. The Blackthorne Inn provided all the basics you needed and for a much better price and the most welcoming environment and staff. We got to stay in the rustic cabins and we didn't want to leave the cozy room with the real wood fire place and wooden rocking chairs on the front deck.

There was even a flat screen TV for my husband to get his news fix. Cell coverage was spotty but we actually wanted to enjoy each other and be tech free for a short 24 hours. They just got wifi service but again, we didn't need that. We got to check out the other non-cabin rooms to keep in mind for our next visit and the reviews were right, need some renovations but I hear those are in the works to be completed in by end of Winter so we're scheduled to stay in one of those rooms come March. We plan to visit the nearby wineries as well. 3 Fox Vineyards, Cobbler Mountain, Naked Mountain and Barrel Oak are on our list of best picks so far.

We chose to dine at their restaurant instead of drive somewhere to eat. But they had limo and taxi options for us just in case. The food was unbelievably good. We ate too much as usually but got to try the shrimp and lobster crapes, mahi mahi, scallops, curry chicken soup, butternut squash soup and scallops. But of course we started off with their signature appetizer, Irish Nachos. A must have! We felt like we were in Ireland in the Wolfe Tone's Pub and even got a great tour of the dinning hall and private dinning rooms. So cool that it was once George Washington's house. And all the history in the basement with the original wood and war stories, etc. I didn't want to leave. Breakfast was also divine with an asparagus omelet and eggs over easy. I was feeling crazy and tried their famous bloody mary. No regrets!

I do wish they had a lighted trail to our cabin room because we would have loved to have a romantic walk after dinner instead of driving the 500 yards to our room. While there are refrigerators available in the rooms, they are empty. My husband would have preferred for them to be stocked with bottled waters, orange juice, wine, etc. But they were very open to our feedback on that.

Room Tip: If you want to enjoy the music and stubble to your room get the ones right outside the pub.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!