“New Look for The Blackthorne Inn & Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Upperville
The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant
Save Saved
You added The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant to your Saves list
10087 John S. Mosby Highway, Upperville, VA 20184 (Formerly "1763 Inn")   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Upperville B&B and Inns
Middleburg, Virginia
“New Look for The Blackthorne Inn & Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I attended a 50th wedding anniversary party for some family friends of ours at The Blackthorne Inn & Restaurant in their new renovated Ballroom. It was absolutely gorgeous with the glass doors surrounding the room to view the beautiful scenic surroundings of endless acres of rolling hills, woods, a pond, fountain, etc. The music that was by Steve Hudson and Michelle Dupre was perfect as every song they sang was my favorite song. But The Blackthorne Inn always seems to have great music in their Wolfe Tone's Pub. I want my company party to be at this place or maybe my 40th birthday party. Plus, I got a sneak peak at the newly renovated cabins and cottages. This feels like a home away from home for me and for once, my husband and I agree on something!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Southport, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Blackthorne Inn located between Upperville and Middleburg, VA is a true family run business that provides all the comfort and attention that you would expect from a 5 star place. The Inn is owned and operated by Shane O'Connor and all of his Irish family, including his charming parents and siblings, work there. Since they bought this Inn (formerly "1763") the Inn, restaurant, pub and rooms have all be beautifully redone. The restaurant food is elegant fare and the pub offers wonderful Irish and traditional food, beer and entertainment. In the warmer months there is a patio overlooking the beautiful countryside. They also do small to large private parties and beautiful weddings under the large pavilion tent.

Whether you are a local looking for a fun or special eveing out, or a traveller looking for a romantic weekend, I highly recommend The Blackthorne Inn, Restaurant and Pub!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Inn are beautiful, but I also love the cabins for added privacy!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Middleburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I live close by to the inn but have never stopped because it looks really expensive due to its beautiful, well manicured property. Then I realized there was an Irish pub! I was thinking four star dining, which it has, but the pub offers pub fare and great Irish beers on tap. It is run by an Irish family who are extremely hospitable. It feels like I am back in Ireland with the way the pub was designed and the wonderful Irish tunes playing.

May parents came to visit me and they stayed at the Inn. We had drinks in their room before we headed to the dining room. They stayed in a cabin which was really cool. A little rustic with lots of charm and very clean. We enjoyed the wine and cheese plate and went to dinner. The food was excellent. I would call it comfortable fine dining. The dining room is beautful and welcoming with a great view of the pond and gazebo. The servers are professional and knowlegable of the menu items.

I think I will be finding myself hanging around this place a little more often.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I want to live there! This quaint Irish Bed & Breakfast in the country with a peaceful setting was just what my husband and I needed for a nice overnight away from the kids. We went to the Goodstone Inn for years but paid twice as much. The Blackthorne Inn provided all the basics you needed and for a much better price and the most welcoming environment and staff. We got to stay in the rustic cabins and we didn't want to leave the cozy room with the real wood fire place and wooden rocking chairs on the front deck.

There was even a flat screen TV for my husband to get his news fix. Cell coverage was spotty but we actually wanted to enjoy each other and be tech free for a short 24 hours. They just got wifi service but again, we didn't need that. We got to check out the other non-cabin rooms to keep in mind for our next visit and the reviews were right, need some renovations but I hear those are in the works to be completed in by end of Winter so we're scheduled to stay in one of those rooms come March. We plan to visit the nearby wineries as well. 3 Fox Vineyards, Cobbler Mountain, Naked Mountain and Barrel Oak are on our list of best picks so far.

We chose to dine at their restaurant instead of drive somewhere to eat. But they had limo and taxi options for us just in case. The food was unbelievably good. We ate too much as usually but got to try the shrimp and lobster crapes, mahi mahi, scallops, curry chicken soup, butternut squash soup and scallops. But of course we started off with their signature appetizer, Irish Nachos. A must have! We felt like we were in Ireland in the Wolfe Tone's Pub and even got a great tour of the dinning hall and private dinning rooms. So cool that it was once George Washington's house. And all the history in the basement with the original wood and war stories, etc. I didn't want to leave. Breakfast was also divine with an asparagus omelet and eggs over easy. I was feeling crazy and tried their famous bloody mary. No regrets!

I do wish they had a lighted trail to our cabin room because we would have loved to have a romantic walk after dinner instead of driving the 500 yards to our room. While there are refrigerators available in the rooms, they are empty. My husband would have preferred for them to be stocked with bottled waters, orange juice, wine, etc. But they were very open to our feedback on that.

Room Tip: If you want to enjoy the music and stubble to your room get the ones right outside the pub.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
charlotte
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011 via mobile

We went to blackthorn and got the spinache dip and there was a huge hair in it! They got us a new one though. It took about 1 hour to get our food. About 45 minutes through we asked where was our food and she said," I was waiting for you to finish, If you told me I would've gone faster." Rude? they still charged us for the 1st dip! Don't go!

• Stayed December 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My boyfriend and I wanted a last-minute getaway from DC, and chose Blackthorne Inn based on its location (near wineries, shopping in Middleburg, and our favorite country pub, Hunter's Head Tavern) and the affordable price. Unfortunately all the cabins were booked, but we enjoyed our cozy room in the stables.

I was worried about the negative reviews (i.e. unclean rooms, tiny bathroom), but we found ours to be perfectly tidy and satisfying for the price. It reminded me of the inns I stayed at when driving around Ireland: welcoming, quaint, and comfortable. No, it's not ultra-modern or newly renovated, and forget about WiFi, let alone cell service. There are (gasp) bugs outside, and campy touches like faux flowers in the bedroom. But if you want a cozy, get-away-from-it-all experience, Blackthorne fits the bill. Those looking for a luxury, Relais and Chateaux-style inn should check out Goodstone nearby (and be prepared to pay much more for it).

The lake and surrounding area are beautiful, and all the staff were welcoming and friendly. We enjoyed sitting on our deck in the evening sipping Prosecco we bought in town, and then heading down the path to Wolfe Tone's Pub for dinner. I can't attest to the more upscale fare in the dining room since we were more in the mood for pub grub, but the Irish nachos hit the spot! The complimentary breakfast in the morning was also quite good (eggs, perfectly cooked bacon, strong coffee etc.). All in all, a lovely experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We discovered the Blackthorne Inn through a LivingSocial deal for a two-night stay. The drive from DC took just an hour. Great service, food, and drink. We stayed in the Tipperary, a comfortable, secluded, log-wood cabin with a jacuzzi and flat screen television. Met the friendly Irish owners and enjoyed drinks with the excellent bartender, Casey. Dinner at the Inn was marvelous! We had fried sweetbreads for an appetizer and seared scallops with arctic char for the main course. We were so full we could not eat dessert. The surrounding area is full of wineries and we visited six of them over the weekend. Highly recommended for a special occasion, anniversary or a romantic weekend.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Blackthorne Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!