“Very clean, congested neighborhood” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Tysons Hotel

You added Sheraton Tysons Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Tysons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8661 Leesburg Pike, Tysons Corner, VA 22182 (Formerly Sheraton Premiere at Tysons Corner)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
washington d.c.
“Very clean, congested neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I attended a conference at this property. The building layout was a bit confusing and because our group dominated the hotel and lobby it might have impacted the solo traveler in a negative way.

That said, my room was immaculate and the public areas were exceptionally clean and well kept.

The restaurant was adequate and the pricing was fair. There was no place to walk outdoors unless you count parking lots or indoors at Walmart. The Sheraton has a nice gym and pools (outdoor pool was not open, too early in the year), however, to walk outside was difficult.

I gave my review an excellent rating because the staff was very friendly and the things that I did not like had nothing to do with the hotel facilities and staff.

Green Features: I took advantage of declining maid service. I like the earth friendly focus.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear inthecar,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and giving our very friendly staff an excellent rating. We strive to deliver to each of our guests a wonderful experience and it is gratifying when we hear we have met or exceeded our guest expectations. Cleanliness of our rooms and the public areas are also key factors in our hospitality experience and we appreciate your observation for that area. Your comment about the outdoors area is well taken as we are located within walking distance to local restaurants but also next to a well maintained walking and jogging trail right behind the hotel. We look forward to your return visit and please let us know what you think about the newly opened outdoor pool in addition to the indoor pool. Until then, Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

i was in DC for a Conference held at this Hotel.the hotel. The service, rooms and food were outstanding. The Hotel is a great value and a quick ride from Dulles Airport. With the addition of the new train station right in front of the hotel will be an added value. I was here in late winter as it was not open at that time. We will be back. The GM was great and his hospitality is reflected throughout the hotel - well done! Thank you!

Room Tip: get a higher floor!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear keith W,
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share these comments. The “five stars” sign tells me that you enjoyed your stay! Your praise for this hotel is very much appreciated. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
denver, colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was so disappointed in this Sheraton. I'd just come from the Sheraton downtown Atlanta and it was wonderful. This was was dirty. I checked into my room, lifted the toilet seat and it had a pool of urine on it. Yikes! Wiped it off, then went to wash my hands and there were medium-length black hairs in the sink. Had to run my dry cleaning down to the desk myself because they didn't have valets that day (ok, I can live with that), but then they lost my dry cleaning and it came back two days later. Thank goodness I had other things to wear and I was staying that long. Got it back just in time to leave. The staff was very polite and did their best to help accommodate my needs, but it's really unimpressive for a Sheraton.

Room Tip: Good luck...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear bubblesbubbules,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your opinions with us. We are glad that you felt our staff was helpful and that they did their best to accommodate your needs. We apologize that our Housekeeping staff did not leave your room in perfect shape and we are truly surprised with your findings. We will be sure to modify our practices and ensure that each guest receives excellent service with clean and comfortable room. Thank you again for your comments, we hope to get the opportunity to wow you on your next visit to Sheraton Tysons. I would appreciate a direct call to me as I would personally ensure your satisfaction in your accommodation.
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I don’t know where to begin or how to adequately explain the stay that we enjoyed this past Memorial Day weekend. The accommodations were awesome and the staff superb. Everyone was so hospitable. I have to say that the ladies working Brix and Ale are outstanding! It is rare to come across a staff that is so personable, attentive and a true delight to spend time with. Sunday evening we changed our dinner plans to Brix and Ale just so we could enjoy a bite early in the evening and then return later to enjoy some snacks, beer and the company of your staff.

We also enjoyed the constant procession of people attending the various weddings and we made new friends with several of the men that were a part of Rolling Thunder. The number of guests passing through your hotel was amazing and your staff kept everything flowing and well-coordinated.

We are already talking about when we can return to the DC area and there is no doubt that we will return to your property.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear taccoleo,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for taking the time to share your comments. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. Clearly there were a number of opportunities where we could have performed better but we will use your comments as a vehicle for further training. The school kids happened to be in the hotel on a complete sold out night and that was unfortunate for us to have the chance to impress you. I do hope you give us the chance for another opportunity to be a service in order to make things right. I would encourage you to reach out to me directly and I will personally look after your accommodations.
Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Positive: This is a beautiful hotel, close to a metro stop. The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable. The AC worked well with very little noise. The room and all public areas of the hotel were extremely clean. The food is very good. Breakfast staff was terrific, and the breakfast buffet offerings quite good.

Negative: Morning and afternoon traffic makes traveling into the city by car or bus very slow. You need to factor in lots of extra time for going into the city if you are driving or going by tour bus.

Staff (except for breakfast) are poorly trained. Service at dinner was terrible. They said they were understaffed, but they knew to expect our group of 35. The waitress would serve our food and disappear for long periods of time. We finally gave up on ever being served after-dinner coffee.

On the second of our four-day visit, key cards for many people in our group stopped working. The front desk staff blamed it on putting the cards too close to our phones - which we had not done. One staff member suggested we had put them too close to our credit cards. For some of us, the cards failed to work again the third day.

Six drinks at the bar (ordering "house" wine and scotch) came to $72.00. The waitress should have given us a menu, or she should have told us what the prices were as we ordered. We certainly never went back to the bar during our four-day visit.

Lighting in the room is very poor. There are too few outlets, and they are inconveniently located. Also, for a double room, there is only one chair (besides the chair at the desk) even though there is plenty of room to add a second chair, allowing people to sit and visit with each other. Hot water in the shower and sink is very slow in coming. A lot of water has to be wasted waiting for it to get hot.

The ice machine on the fifth floor never worked even though we reported it the first day of our visit.

Staff at the front desk try to sound friendly, but they are distracted and tend to blame problems - such as our key cards - on guests. They seem to have a lot of potential, but they need better training.

This is an upscale hotel. For what we spent, staying there should have been a much better experience. The problems we encountered could be fixed, and if they are addressed, this would be a great place to stay.

Room Tip: The hotel needs to put a second chair for guests to use for reading or visiting. Brighter lights nee...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Nancy D,
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you had a good stay in a clean, comfortable room. We are also delighted that our location was ideal for your stay. We appreciate your praises for our breakfast staff as well as the good food. We do apologize for the malfunction of your room key card and for the “unexpected” beverage prices in our lounge area. The ice machine on the 5th floor should have been in good working order but based on your comment that was not the case and we are deeply sorry about that. Your business was very much appreciated and we do hope that we will get to see you again soon. Happy travels!
McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I find the Sheraton Premiere Tyson's of extremely good value. Big hotel with great amenities in a convenient location. I do want to rate them 3 stars only, however, but probably that's just me -- So I am giving them 4 stars just to be generous. I think, it shows that how a very good experience can be ruined with tiny little things.

The hotel itself is a big one. I think it's more like a conference center type of hotel. It has 3 stories of functional rooms and it has a huge, huge lobby. The room is obviously one step up than a typical sheraton as well, with nice sofa with ottoman, big room size, and a GREAT IN ROOM VIEW.
I was lucky to somehow grab a lower rate with breakfast included. Some hotel get this "AAA Hotdeal" that includes breakfast -- but whatever. The front desk was friendly enough. The hotel is great and grand, bed was very comfortable, everything was nice. Until my mom asked about the coffee machine. She likes to have hot water but she could get this no where convenient except from the coffee machine. The guest services was not answering phone calls (obviously they were very busy, hotel was getting a lot of conferences and got booked up). They did ask house keeping to bring another coffee machine in and apologized so hard in the phone as it became a little phony. But it took >1 hr to get that coffee machine, and I got it right after I decided to sleep and cancel the request.
I don't like to complain, but it's simply good to have a good coffee machine in place for the first place.
We enjoyed a lot of the poor this morning. The poor is big, and warm. The water temperature is just a little bit below the hot tub, it's clean, and large. I see the kids loved it. I loved it too as I was able to do a bit of laps in there.
What really almost ruined my stay was the shower. Obviously something was clogged. So, the tub operates without any problems, but in my room, the cold water does not come up to the shower head. So I was basically toasted during the shower. Fortunately it was not that bad so I can still take a quick shower and get out before I really get baked, and I am that lazy and easy-going not to change a room.

So there is this really, really nice hotel, and I really, really want to rate it 5 stars. It's much better than a regular sheraton in so many ways, but I can't, since my specific room had these very little troubles. Essentially, they become quite annoying and could turn a happy guest away from a possible next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a good view room. On higher floors this one really get some exceptional experience. I believ...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear herbertjzb,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments. The amount of detail that you shared is very valuable as we strive to improve. We are glad that you had a good stay in a clean, comfortable room. We are also delighted that our location was ideal for your stay. Mentioning our great amenities and the great value that resulted in your great experience is very much appreciated. We are puzzled though regarding the coffee machine and we apologize for that. The water temperature is another issue that we will review with our engineer to make sure that does not happen to any other guest. Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Chesterfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Premier at Tysons Corner, Virginia for my non-profit organization’s state convention. I checked reviews on the hotel from a couple of web sites before making my reservation. However, many of them did not contain useful information. Therefore, I will try to provide you with important, useful information you need to know. It is long so please bear with me.

I stayed at the Sheraton Premier on a Friday, Saturday, and checked out on Sunday. Overall, I had a pleasant experience. The front desk and housekeeping staff was very cordial and accommodating. My room was on the second floor which is actually the same level as the lobby. I had direct access to my room without the hassle of having to wait for elevators. It was located away from the ice machine, elevators, and the main thoroughfare from the lobby. There were restrooms conveniently located around the lobby and near the conference halls. The cost of the room for this area of Virginia I thought was very reasonable at $117.00 per night plus tax.

My room had two double beds and was very spacious. It looked and smelled fresh and clean. I believe the entire hotel is smoke-free. Ask to be sure. I loved the arm chairs with pull out foot rests. They were very comfortable. Most of the furnishings, i.e. tables, chairs, dresser, etc. appeared to be new. The room came with a large flat screen television (no channel guide).

There was ample closet space for clothes and luggage. The closet contained an iron, ironing board, a small safe, and a folding luggage rack. There was a coffee maker for coffee and tea with condiments but there was no bottled water. The room did not have a refrigerator or microwave. The ice machine was at the end of the hall. There was also a soft drink vending machine that accepted paper currency and credit cards. There was no price listed for the products. I did see some carpet stains in the hall carpet on the way to the ice machine. I did not however see any food trays left in the halls.

There were two electrical outlets built into the rear of the desk table which was very convenient for plugging in my computer and iPhone. There were other wall outlets around the room and one behind the night stand between the beds. I did not use the room Wi-Fi service so I cannot comment on that except that it was a separate charge if you wanted to use it in your room. There was free Wi-Fi service in the lobby.

Another nice feature was there were two telephones in the room. One was next to the bed and a second one on a table between the two arm chairs. If you plan to make telephone calls from your room please note that this service is very expensive. Local calls will cost you $1.50 per call plus $0.10 per minute. Toll free, credit card, and calling card calls will cost you$2.00 for the first 60 minutes and $0.10 per minute after that. Directory assistance is $2.50 per call. There was no telephone book in the room. Bring your cell phone!

The double bed was very comfortable with four pillows. The mattress was very firm. There was also a full length mirror on the wall adjacent to the bathroom. The room thermostat worked fine for both AC and heat. I did hear talking and noise from the hall but it was nothing that kept me awake later in the evening. I had a good night’s sleep each night.

While the subdued lighting and dark wood furnishings in the room gave it a nice ambience, the subdued lighting in the bathroom made it very difficult to shave. The bathroom did not have an exhaust fan but there was no sign of mold or mildew. There was soap, shampoo, etc. on the sink and in the shower. There were plenty of towels and wash cloths for my stay. There was also a hair dryer in the bathroom. The rain forest shower head was fantastic! The water pressure was great and there was no lack of hot water.

I when I registered I chose the “Make a Green Choice” option. This was an option to skip housekeeping in exchange for a voucher good for $5.00 off purchases in the restaurant. I did not receive the voucher. I did not pursue the matter with staff because I did not eat in the restaurant and housekeeping cleaned the room anyway.

As a volunteer, my organization does not reimburse me for any travel expenses. While I understand eating at restaurants in hotels is very expensive, I found the cost of meals at the hotel well outside my budget. In addition to the cost of a room service menu item, the hotel adds a 20% service charge, taxes, and a $3.00 delivery charge to the bill. So, an American breakfast at $21.00 ends up costing you $28.10 plus taxes. The hotel distributes the service charge among all employees. I am not recommending that you do not eat at the hotel; I am just advising you to be aware. I ate at local restaurants located in nearby shopping centers.

I also noted that there was no hotel services directory in the room other than a room service menu (that only contained breakfast items) and the telephone call information card. However, there was a Sheraton Welcome brochure in my convention packet that contained information about the hotel, local attractions, transportation, etc. There were Where Washington D.C. and Where Virginia bound colorful guest books containing information on cultural events and attractions, dining, etc. Please note also that there are very few places to eat within walking distance of the hotel. If you plan to eat out give yourself plenty of time Vehicle traffic in the area is often very heavy and congested. I found local drivers are impatient, drive very fast, and were often quite rude to other drivers.

Because of the convention, the parking lot around the hotel filled quickly. There was additional parking in the underground parking area. Please note. The underground parking area was poorly illuminated. There were dark, shadowy areas throughout the garage area even during the day. I felt very uncomfortable walking to the elevator from underground parking. Another interesting note was the parking garage elevator does not go to the lobby. It goes up to the ground level where you have to exit to the outside and then enter through the front entrance.

In spite of signs posted in the underground parking, there was not a daily $6.00 charge for parking. I confirmed this with the front desk. There was no mention of a parking charge on the hotel web site. I do not know if this was for that weekend or whether there the hotel no longer charges a fee for parking. If it is the latter, the hotel should remove the signs to avoid confusing guests.

It was a bit of a challenge initially finding the hotel due to road construction and a brand new Walmart in the same block. However, construction has been ongoing in this area for decades. I realize the hotel cannot control construction noise or congestion. Your best bet is to ask for a room on an upper floor or in the rear away from the major highway and construction.

The convention activity was an all-day and evening event both days so I did not have an opportunity to use the 24-hour fitness center, business center, or the pools. I did note that there is an indoor and outdoor pool.

My organization’s annual state convention will be here again next year and I look forward to returning. I would definitely recommend staying here to family and friends.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are on the lobby level - no need for elevators
Dear Robert P
Through each comment we receive, both positive and negative, we are able to seek knowledge and growth to better serve our guests. Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback, it is truly appreciated and I will be sure to share it with my colleagues. We hope to welcome you back in the near future as we thank you for telling us that you will be back next year to attend the same conference. Should you require any future assistance please feel free to call upon me directly!
Sincerely

Been to Sheraton Tysons Hotel? Share your experiences!