“Expected more from a Ritz” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Hotel Credit + More
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Nowhere
“Expected more from a Ritz”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We recently stayed here over a weekend. We were able to check in early, and our room was perfectly adequate, and very clean. However, it's nothing like the other RCs we have been to. It was very crowded- two weddings that night, as well as a lot of families. I am thinking because it's relatively cheap that it draws a different crowd.

We had an afternoon snack in the small lounge restaurant- the food was very good, but service was only okay. There was a wide range of people, from folks waiting for the weddings to start, to men wearing scruffy jeans and t-shirt, watching the bike racing on the tv.

The Asprey toiletries are terrific, and the two a day house keeping is great. However, we had brought champagne, and at higher level hotels, the staff generally notices, brings a bucket, flutes, etc. Here, they only put more ice into the very tiny ice bucket.

The mattress is also very soft- both of us had a hard time sleeping.

The next morning, the wrong newspaper was delivered to the door. Okay, we can deal with that. We ordered room service for breakfast. It came within 35 minutes. .. but the order was really, really wrong. We would have sent it back if we weren't on a tight schedule. I had ordered an egg white omlette with mozzarella cheese and a variety of vegetables. . . a regular omlette with cheddar, LOTS of ham, and different vegetables showed up. I had also asked for bacon, which didn't show up. My husband's order was accurate, but they gave him the wrong tea. He ended up getting the tea he wanted (Earl Grey) from the in room beverage center. The toast was also very, very soggy.

We made a brief visit to the spa/pool. The pool was JAMMED at 9 am on a Sunday- lots of kids, with completely uninterested parents "watching" them. There was a lifeguard there, but he was not paying attention at all. We didn't expect solitude, but we also didn't expect 5 young (under 6) kids hanging out in the whirlpool with us, their parents on the phone, etc.

The spa area is VERY crowded. It's down a narrow hallway, and the changing rooms get crowded. No one was in the men's, so my husband didn't have any complaints, but the women's was very crowded. There were six of us in the sauna. Also, the showers are nice, but there is no lotion nearby. You have to go across the changing room to apply it. The relaxation room is VERY small- just a few chairs, apples, and cucumber water. There were a few Washington Posts, but no magazines, etc.

This is a step up from a Marriott, but below Ritz standards. There's a reason it is only a Tier I!!

Room Tip: Away from the elevators!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
easton, maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was a day trip with my daughter-in-law for spa and lunch. The hotel clearly caters to business travelers who are a captive audience. The spa has the luxury of Ritz, but small and very few amenities. The pool area is closed from 10am-5pm! So, no swimming or lounging by the pool. The Relaxation room, the only place to lounge/chat/enjoy time not in a treatment...is very small and no amenities except a pitcher of water and hot tea. I expected so much more from a Ritz Carlton. The practitioners were good but not great...very disappointing for a Ritz and those prices.
Lunch was in a very good atmosphere, as expected from a Ritz. Some of the food was cold, but we were enjoying; so I did not comment. Won't go back.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is my first stay at this property. It was billed as "exceptional" by friends who have stayed here and I second their opinion. The rooms are good sized, furnished lovely and the hotel tends to just about every detail. It is adjacent to a luxury mall and has direct access to it. If you are a shopper, you can shop until you drop and never have to leave the property! The hotel itself is meticulous and room service is extremely efficient. Is it pricey? You bet but, if you want to bask in the lap of abject luxury, it is fairly reasonable. My only criticism was the lack of adequate outlets for the electronic gear we all need to carry.

Room Tip: Go to a high room; the views are exceptional!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stopped here for two nights on a trip South. The hotel was very nice and conviently located. The rooms were smaller than I would have expected and we were surprised they didn't have 2 queens. The options were only 2 doubles or 1 king. Since we were only there for 2 nights it wasn't too much of an inconvience. The service was excellent and there are many nice restaurants close by.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is a great hotel. Period. I was there an entire week on business and booked a room there, having never stayed at a RC before. I received an email from the staff the day before my arrival, which happened to be a Sunday. I had sent a response to this person requesting two things and I received a very timely email back answering my requests.
When I arrived I was impressed by the lobby and elevators. I'm a huge fan of wood paneled interiors and other old school features and this hotel is full of them. I had a fantastic encounter with the gal I checked in with (I forget names easy). I liked the room and the things I requested were already present. I've stayed in many rooms that were bigger and/or offered more, but this room had ample space, cushy furniture and a pretty solid bathroom.
The secret of it is the amenities the room offered: two super soft and thick bathrobes, in wall safe, nice toiletries, ample amounts of bottled water (free), a wide variety of tea, super soft bed, a phone about every 3 feet - including one in the bathroom, a huge daisy shower head with great water pressure, a shaving mirror, etc.
I was pleasantly surprised the following afternoon when I came back. It's one thing to say that it felt like my mother was the housekeeper, but in this case I think it was the Beavers mother who was the housekeeper. I found my toiletries were nicely arraigned for me on a washcloth, all of my hotel provided toiletries were replaced, my linens were folded up nicely, the items I left at the desk were smartly arraigned and chocolates were left out for me. This happened on a daily basis, which I was very pleased to see.
The staff at the hotel are incredibly courteous, they go the extra mile and it shows. Being treated like a VIP isn't something that carries much weight with me, but being treated as a welcomed guest and earning their repeat business is a rarity in today's marketplace.
I would go back this place in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even bother looking at other hotels. It was priced very inexpensive as well (corporate discount mind you), but even for a little more than the other places in Tyson's, it's the winner.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The best part of our overnight trip to the Ritz was breakfast the following morning in the Bistro. The service was great, the food was delicious and the cost was not overly pricey.

The room, however, was another matter. When booking a room at the Ritz-Carlton, you believe you are getting the best of the best. It's name alone conjures images of chandeliers (which they have in the elevator) and marble floors and glorious luxury. The hotel is beautiful and the service was great. We were so grateful to be able to use Marriott Rewards Points to stay there, but we believe that it is because we used those Rewards points that we were put in a room right next to the elevator. Our room, 2220, had a toilet that you could only flush once every 7-9 minutes. In addition, the noise was ridiculous. Not only could you hear the elevator move and the elevator doors open, but you could also hear the beep when the doors opened and then the doors sounded like they slammed shut. If it hadn't been so late when we got in and settled and in bed, we would have complained and asked to switch rooms, but at nearly midnight, it wasn't worth the aggravation.

So, great hotel and food. Perhaps the rooms near the elevators need some work.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I've stayed there several times and thought I'd write a review. It is clearly the best hotel in the N Virginia area (although never stayed at RC in Pentagon City). The staff is great, the rooms are comfortable, and even the adjoining rooms and rooms by the elevator are quiet (both personal pet peeves normally). The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because of (i) numerous minor but annoying maintenance quirks, such as repeatedly needing to have maintenance calibrate thermostats so heating and A/C will come on (otherwise it won't come on at all); burned out light bulbs; 2 defective clock radios that engineering had to replace; and (ii) no hotel restaurant other than the wine bar, which doesn't have too many normal-sized restaurant tables, and always seems to be fully of very loud people. Not conducive to a quiet meal at all but the food is decent and they do have a full menu (not just a bar menu). It is also too small to be the only restaurant in a hotel of this size. But the hotel connects to the Tyson's Galleria and there are plenty of restaurants in there, but not as convenient as a hotel restaurant. Also, if you like your hotel bill emailed to you, it usually takes a couple of requests and 2 or 3 days, but this may be a Marriott systems issue since it seems common to all Marriotts. (Other hotels email on day of checkout.)

Room Tip: Every room I've had is good. No complaints in that department.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!